Let's compare early WoW with early TOR

Leohat

Let's add a sense of perspective to all this:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012660/

better yet

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/index3.html

pay particular attention to how often they patched in the first month of launnch and compare it to swtor and i think you will see why everyone is complaining.

Edited by Doomsaga

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly since leveling is fast in this game that gives this game alot more replay than WoW by far.

I see a lot of people talk about 'replay value'. To me that is a single-player game characteristic. In MMOs you have a 'PLAY value'. If one is basing an MMO on replaying multiple character types, then I just don't see that as a long-term winner. MMOs and the typical players who play them, dedicate their time to the development of A character (or the occasional alt or two). There is a dedication or link to their 'main' that keeps them coming back. To progress. To grow that character/avatar.

If this is to become "The Alt Republic" I just don't see that as a very successful model in a sub-based MMO.

you stopped reading because the truth hurts. A prime example of wow stealing ideas shows itself in the fact they implemented power auras into their game and basically stole the addon for themselves. They do it all the time. Instead of posting "stopped reading" you should take a dose of the truth and deal with it.

There wasn't necessarily a ton of innovation at launch (which they've done since.) But what they DID do was immediately and absolutely eclipse the market leader at the time it was released (EQ).

so let me get this straight my leveling experience in WoW was much different than my main character i leveled?

last i checked i had the same quest later on class quest got completely removed from the game and tbc wotlk and cata was very linear.

WoW did have a storyline but none of mattered until the raids hell vanilla kinda didnt even make sense naxx in EPL...... when everybody knew it was in northrend.

dont bring up KT was suppose to come back stronger guess what blizzard copied and paste naxx into wotlk and he said the samething.

at the end of the day WoW is just as linear as swtor but atleast swtor has a class quest line to follow through.

honestly since leveling is fast in this game that gives this game alot more replay than WoW by far.

wow been out how long? due to the large lvl cap in wow you have little to no choice but to make lvling linear up to a point. at least on wow once u get to cata u can choose were you want to lvl

first of all half the people that quit just plain got tired of wow which is understandable since its a old game. second i never said they didnt lose ppl i said its still heavily populated (theres a difference you know) and since swtor didnt gain enough subs to make thier money back in first month that means its a failure? wait dont answer that i know your answer already...

so even though EA stated themselves they only need 500k subs to be profitable which this game sold over 2 million im pretty sure not even blizzard got their money back when WoW came out they even gave out almost a month of game time that is alot of money they lost.

this isnt about the free month people we know they will leave just it happen to every MMO to existence but i am talking about a expansion of WoW that is suppose to bring new content and new gameplay which this lost 2 million people from it.

remember half of WoW subs is china remember is not available everywhere.

wow been out how long? due to the large lvl cap in wow you have little to no choice but to make lvling linear up to a point. at least on wow once u get to cata u can choose were you want to lvl

are you serious cata is the most linear of them all you are FORCED to do quest because of the stupid and bad phasing of areas even blizzard admitted the questing in cata is not good and they plan to change it.

i faction changed on my paladin and i had to repeat these quest i have done over a year ago just so i can see certain npc to give me my head glyph.

Edited by genmyke

you stopped reading because the truth hurts. A prime example of wow stealing ideas shows itself in the fact they implemented power auras into their game and basically stole the addon for themselves. They do it all the time. Instead of posting "stopped reading" you should take a dose of the truth and deal with it.

wow delusional. first of all they added power auras because ppl USED it and wanted to make thier lives easier by adding it(and your crying about this because). thats like if they added ingame dmg meter and your crying bcz they stole it lmao ok. looks whos not taking a dose of truth. last thing i need is fanboys reply to my post your perspective is linear at best.

No point in comparing WoW to SWTOR.. SWTOR fan bois will just flame you to oblivion, they are so blinded that they can't see what a broken unfinished piece of **** SWTOR is.. I mean it is BROKEN. I am a fan of bioware, they make great single player games, so I will give them one month to fix the ****** combat ability delay, if they patch this game like they want to keep it alive, I might stay, probably not though.

so even though EA stated themselves they only need 500k subs to be profitable which this game sold over 2 million im pretty sure not even blizzard got their money back when WoW came out they even gave out almost a month of game time that is alot of money they lost.

this isnt about the free month people we know they will leave just it happen to every MMO to existence but i am talking about a expansion of WoW that is suppose to bring new content and new gameplay which this lost 2 million people from it.

2 million copies dont = 2mil subs....that is all

are you serious cata is the most linear of them all you are FORCED to do quest because of the stupid and bad phasing of areas even blizzard admitted the questing in cata is not good and they plan to change it.

*blink* Wait, they did????

Where?!

Can you provide the link? Cause I'm really curious now..

wow delusional. first of all they added power auras because ppl USED it and wanted to make thier lives easier by adding it(and your crying about this because). thats like if they added ingame dmg meter and your crying bcz they stole it lmao ok. looks whos not taking a dose of truth. last thing i need is fanboys reply to my post your perspective is linear at best.

Only fanboy here is you my friend. So defensive because someone is trashing your panda mmo. Keep making up excuses for blizzard stealing 3rd party addons it just makes you look more naive.

Wow made back approx 25% of their initial investment with first week sales.

I'm sure they managed. (also pay by the hour doesn't count in their stated sub amounts (idk why people dont grasp this))

Lets compare 7 year old things to recent things

Babies breast feed, so should my seven year old.

Edited by mcfabulous

so let me get this straight my leveling experience in WoW was much different than my main character i leveled?

last i checked i had the same quest later on class quest got completely removed from the game and tbc wotlk and cata was very linear.

WoW did have a storyline but none of mattered until the raids hell vanilla kinda didnt even make sense naxx in EPL...... when everybody knew it was in northrend.

dont bring up KT was suppose to come back stronger guess what blizzard copied and paste naxx into wotlk and he said the samething.

at the end of the day WoW is just as linear as swtor but atleast swtor has a class quest line to follow through.

In wow you at least had 2-3 zones(vanilla) per level range that you could visit. You didn't HAVE to go the the same zone EVERY time without a choice.

hmm lvl my dk through mount hyjal. lvled my priest through vashji'r but i guess thats as linear as swtor lol

*blink* Wait, they did????

Where?!

Can you provide the link? Cause I'm really curious now..

As Dave Kosak and others have said before, we think we may have gone a bit too linear with Cataclysm. That informs one of our big philosophies for Mists of Pandaria: Give players more flexibility to play how they want to. We think that the solution may be to have linear story arcs, but have more of them in each zone, rather than making the whole zone one big story with a beginning, middle, and end. In addition to multiple linear quest lines, there will be smaller (and in some cases, one-off) quest hubs, and some of those hubs may be well off the beaten path.

MMO-champion page 2

In cata you had static zones and had to be handheld through each of them to move to the next one.

Mount Hyjal, Vashj-whatever

Then

That elemental plane in the center, forget name.

Then

Uldum or twilight highlands.

Small chocices, but choices nonetheless.

As Dave Kosak and others have said before, we think we may have gone a bit too linear with Cataclysm. That informs one of our big philosophies for Mists of Pandaria: Give players more flexibility to play how they want to. We think that the solution may be to have linear story arcs, but have more of them in each zone, rather than making the whole zone one big story with a beginning, middle, and end. In addition to multiple linear quest lines, there will be smaller (and in some cases, one-off) quest hubs, and some of those hubs may be well off the beaten path.

MMO-champion page 2

Thank you very much. :)

Edited by Barathos

MMO-champion page 2

the isnt wow is pretty linear (never argued against that). the point is swtor is MORE linear

hmm lvl my dk through mount hyjal. lvled my priest through vashji'r but i guess thats as linear as swtor lol

do you know what linear means?

the quest are very linear you are force to go in a certain direction just to do a certain quest hub back then if i went to STV i had the choice to do grom'gol first or the mastery quest cata removed it with their new zones just by having 1 more starting zone cata doesnt make it any less linear.