Operative Nerf

ubaoski

I am Uba, a BM Concealment Operative on Black Vulkars (West Coast PVP).

I like to raid and PvP. My dps is subpar on most bosses because its problematic in determining where one can even back stab a boss. I have several Rakata pieces and this nerf is going to make things worse. What about eviscerate or headshot? It would be nice to be able to use them.

Am I overpowered in PvP? Maybe, but then again everyone I see with full pvp gear does quite well and seems overpowered.

My best example of Assassin is Bavel, he's very tanky and even pre-nerf, he was near impossible to kill, and he wins games. After my opener on Bavel, he is much too beefy to take down, being an operative, I have very little staying power and pray I can survive till Bavel's resolve meter is cleared, so I can get away with either a stun or after I vanish. After my vanish, I am able to reopen on him. Bavel, like most tanks or heavy armor classes, like Crazyambo(jug dps), Kleen(jugg tank), McHammer(jug tank), Kunkka(merc dps), Nakka(trooper healer), I am unable to kill them.

However, I am very good at killing Sorcs, unless they are smart and spec into that flash bang if their shield is popped. I normally try not to mention this obvious counter to people. But, with a nerf on the way, I see no point in holding back. Most people when they see me, they dot me, sprint away, and aren't afraid to use their CC breaker. However, if someone isn't geared, I rip them apart, just like everyone else does.

After the game, I can top the damage dealt chart, unless there is a trooper/bounty hunter who is geared, and they will already crush my great damage. The amount of kills I have pales compared to most of the top players, normally by 20-30. Even when I have an amazing game and I'm pushing 350k or so, my team doesn't necessarily win. Why? because I have no real utility besides killing people.

Not have force powers limits my utility, sure stealth is great, but Force Camouflage is even better. I do not have a sprint, I don't have a leap, or a pull, or a push, or a knock-back or anything cool besides my hidden strike. Most people see stealthers pop out, and normally I am always dotted, some I can clear, and others I can clear with my evasion every min. However, if my CD is down, I am unable to open on anyone. Without that front loaded burst, my damage is pretty pathetic. It reminds me of being in raid, pretending I am as useful as the bounty hunter who's putting out amazing numbers(I will post numbers in a PVE forum).

I can only speculate on how the nerf will affect me, but i figured I'd give some input. I've spent a ton of time in war zones and worked hard to get Battle Master, I guess I should have rolled a Marauder.

There's something the charts don't capture, how important the kill was.

That's where Operative is better than any other class, by a long shot, and was overpowered.

Damage, kills, deaths, even objective points are relatively meaningless when it comes to actually being effective.

I honestly cannot agree with you, it really depends on the target. I am quite good as taking a good player out by constantly engaging that target. However, due to a lack of mobility, this makes this problematic. Umm, only the civil war map, which i rarely see, demonstrates how an operative can be overpowered, the big fights in void star keep me in combat and hutt ball, the lack of mobility is a nightmare.

Imo armor pen nerf was justified as tanks should not be killed that quick. But ops and scoundrels should be able to kill low hp targets easily because it's their class' job.

About the pve issues, well your class is not alone in this, all melee classes are at disadvantage compared to ranged on pve so tough break.

OPs/scoundrel burst potential WAS too high

However they have little in terms of sustainability due to their energy mechanic which, to me, seems to be the worst of them. Get a few attacks off and bam, no energy, even when taking and using the energy recovering abilities its crippling

Don't agree with the op about not being useful in warzones. Being an op or scoundrel seems like it was tailor made to play on the voidstar and the civil war maps. Stealth protect the nodes...if you do that the right way ur team wins..

Im a healer in full champ pvp/raid gear and operatives are ridiculous. Stun lock and death is the only result if one gets on you. I can say that for no other class except a mara/sent and even then I have a chance to last more than a few seconds.

I can definitely agree up to a point.

Their burst WAS too high; as an assassin tank they can burst me down to 30-40% hp before I even get up from the initial knockdown.

After that, though, they usually run away once they realize they have no chance to finish me off before I kill them.

So, solution? After the nerf, give them something to make up for it and balance the class. Don't just nerf all their strengths and call it good.

Been a little disappointed with how Bioware has been 'nerfing' things, to be honest. It's not a good sign.

Im a healer in full champ pvp/raid gear and operatives are ridiculous. Stun lock and death is the only result if one gets on you. I can say that for no other class except a mara/sent and even then I have a chance to last more than a few seconds.

Had to edit to quote you. This is how the class was intended; they're designed to kill healers.

Edited by Rade_Harkin

However they have little in terms of sustainability due to their energy mechanic which, to me, seems to be the worst of them. Get a few attacks off and bam, no energy, even when taking and using the energy recovering abilities its crippling

It's pretty much the same as trooper/BH in that the more they retain the faster it regenerates. If we can manage to heal with a similar mechanic then they should be able to damage with it. My operative is still low levels though, so I'll see later on.

To the OP:

It sounds more like there's a problem with your understanding of your classes role and strengths in PVP as opposed to a problem with the class itself. You should not be trying to kill the tanky classes, leave that to the sorcerers. Your job is to lock down the healers so that they can't heal the tanky classes and the sages being killed by your sorcerers. It's a team game and rogue-type classes tend to fall into a lone wolf mindset, and I guarantee you it's been losing you games.

After that, though, they usually run away once they realize they have no chance to finish me off before I kill them.

That's exactly it. Operatives can reduce a tank's hp to 40% during the inital stun after their opener, but then the said tank gets up, turns around and operatives discover that their sustained damage is simply not enough to finish their opponent. It's either you kill the enemy fast or you don't kill him at all, sad as it is.

Bad and/or undergeared players die pitifully to Operatives.

They also die to everyone else who has gear but its not so sudden, so less frightening.

I've had people say the Op nerf is going to ruin us, then kill them when my opener was accidentally hitting my interrupt.

The OP/scoundrel nerfs would have been fine if Bioware gave them some out of stealth damage and anti-kiting tools. As it stands now Op/scoundrels are a free kill outside of stealth, and they don't put out nearly enough pressure with their openers to justify their terrible out of stealth damage. I don't think a shadow step ability is necessary maybe a hand of freedom type CD with an out of stealth damage buff.

I see, on the test server..

Oi...

EDIT

I hope they reconsider the scale of some of those adjustments. I'm a concealment Operative, and cutting my damage by 40% (-20% armor penetration from Acid Blade, and -20% damage from Hidden Strike) in ONE nerf sounds really overboard.

Small tweeks, devs, small tweeks.

Edited by TheGreatNeechi

And now with the nerf we have um nothing? k ...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.