Leveling sniper spec?

tconeal

I went marksman at first, but switched to engi at 25. MM leveling grind rotation got pretty boring (ambush, snipe, snipe, snipe til dead), and its inherent single target focus made pack pulling tedious...and pack pulling is 99% of the leveling encounters.

At least at my current level (28 atm), engi is superior. Explosive probe with talent does over 1000 dmg at my level, and costs only 1 energy (16 to cast, 15 refunded). Dealing with multi target is made easier with my frag nade doing 350, and being able to put up Interrogation probe. So the usual pack of 3 - 4 is dead by the time I launch my second frag.

Elites are easier, and usually die within 18 seconds. Ambush -> exp probe -> snipe -> int probe -> snipe spam until TD. Usually killed with ambush -> TD combo. I don't have any dmg meter to say with 100% authority that engi does better dmg right now, but I kill elites with my companion with higher health than with Marks.

I have an Op at level 20 and I leveled as conceal with him. What is the prime leveling tree for sniper? Marksman?

Engineering rocks at early level until end of time. Reason is all the good talents they get straight of the bat (+10 energy, +9% cunning, reduced CD for frag grenade/flash bang, improved aoe damage and explosive probe damage, interrogation probe etc etc).

When i leveled my sniper i went up and including last cluster bomb talent in eng. THen picked up the 6% crit talent in lethality before i took the accuracy and snipe/cull/sos? damage talent in marksman. After that 20% armor red. to ambush and the 1 sec shaveoff on its charge time from snipe/SoS crits. at lvl 42'ish i went marksman, and at 50 i swapped to lethality once i had enough crit.

Leveling spec does NOT equal "endgame" spec (aka 50). A more chaotic, spread out spec is often better for leveling than a "x/31/x" spec. Check the talents, what they offer, and which abilities you use. A tip for "Hard fights". Get distraction from MM, its golden.

An example of spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrbdZrI0bRRbRZh.1

Go for imperial methodology first, then swap to lethality for its crit talent, then marksman for acuracy/snipe/sos damage talents. After that its up to the player to decide.

Bring enough damage to bring down anything, with abit of defensive oomph when needed.

Again this is a leveling spec, do not count on it for lvl 50.

Edited by Aryndelin

I went marksman at first, but switched to engi at 25. MM leveling grind rotation got pretty boring (ambush, snipe, snipe, snipe til dead), and its inherent single target focus made pack pulling tedious...and pack pulling is 99% of the leveling encounters.

At least at my current level (28 atm), engi is superior. Explosive probe with talent does over 1000 dmg at my level, and costs only 1 energy (16 to cast, 15 refunded). Dealing with multi target is made easier with my frag nade doing 350, and being able to put up Interrogation probe. So the usual pack of 3 - 4 is dead by the time I launch my second frag.

Elites are easier, and usually die within 18 seconds. Ambush -> exp probe -> snipe -> int probe -> snipe spam until TD. Usually killed with ambush -> TD combo. I don't have any dmg meter to say with 100% authority that engi does better dmg right now, but I kill elites with my companion with higher health than with Marks.

I was planning on full MM....but your comments about pack pulling 99% of the levelling process are valid....My sniper is now 24, any idea how I should be specced now with engineering?

Engineering doesn't hold up past 35 or so with aoe.

It takes something like 4-5 nades to down a weak, even with CD FB reductino talent that's a long time. I've found that simply flash + headshot (don't forget about this in PVE) + takedown = 1 dead, drop probe + ambush on #2 = dead. Then your companion is probably about halfway through another. That's 3 dead before FB wears off.

Early on though I loved running through packs and just tossing nades while circle strafing.

That said, Engineering is still an excellent spec. Just don't expect the AE portion to hold up.

Build at the moment: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrbbRoRZbIbbRoZb.1

Edited by themendios

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.