I think I did something that increased my FPS/Response?

Frigidman

So, I was going through hoops trying to figure out an audio issue (which apparently is just a bug in the game). However during that I decided to wipe my video drivers, video apps, and ati tray tools.

Then I re-installed the same video driver package I had before (which is the latest from ATI), minus the CCC and AMD HDMI Audio subsets of the package. This means my machine is back to the same video drivers, but no longer any gpu manipulation tools like CCC or ATT.

Oddly, it now seems the game runs a bit smoother (all other settings remained the same). Fleet station is a bit jerky at first as it loads in all the player models as I come across them. However once thats over, its generally much more fluid and bearable. Before, it was so crappy I was seeing red FPS just by staring into a corner on fleet station. Now I see a hovering 50-70fps (once the load in stutter is over).

So, was it CCC, ATI Tray Tools, or HDMI Audio? Because those are the three things I now no longer have installed.

Anyhow, take that for what it's worth. Who knows, maybe the 1.1.0a patch actually sped the game up!

Edited by Frigidman

CCC + MOM is the drivers own control panel....

Bad idea to remove it, just unload the exe files while you don't use them.

There are tools like GBoost, GameBooster and alike that can assist with just that.

Edited by Mineria

Yes.

The problem could have very well been CCC + ATT together. Could have just been ATT. Could have just been CCC. I only made mention that what is missing now, and the game running better as a result. Eventually I will re-install ATT, or CCC (but only one) and see if the game goes to hell again. However for right now I am enjoying the improvement before wasting more time debugging a game.

for me phrase "a bit smoother" is equal to "error margin"

Well, coming from me "a bit smoother" is "noticeable improvement", otherwise I never would have mentioned it. I'm not talking +2 fps overall, I'm talking going from 12fps on fleet station to 50fps. And a smoother experience everywhere else netting 112 capped fps in most cases.

Bad idea to remove it, just unload the exe files while you don't use them.

There are tools like GBoost, GameBooster and alike that can assist with just that.

Can you elaborate on why it is a bad idea. Unless I want to manually force a feature there is no reason to have it.

Had my 9800pro cooked with using it (not saying that is why it died). The 4870 I have now is 3.5 years old and works better without it.

I miss out on some things but to be honest I find I do not miss them at all. Though I am sincerely curious as to why it is a bad idea? I have never heard someone say that before.

Edited by XortiN

I've had these "magic" FPS moments myself, I moved the Windows Start bar from one monitor to the other and the next game play session had way better FPS.

The improved FPS didn't last, as I started to play the next day the FPS was back to stuttering.

So yes doing weird stuff sometimes removes the FPS issue, but it's not an long term solution since it usually just break down again.

I've had these "magic" FPS moments myself, I moved the Windows Start bar from one monitor to the other and the next game play session had way better FPS.

The improved FPS didn't last, as I started to play the next day the FPS was back to stuttering.

So yes doing weird stuff sometimes removes the FPS issue, but it's not an long term solution since it usually just break down again.

Still worth finding out IMO. If it happens to last than they will be happy if not than they are only back to where they were before.

Right, I did this change on Thursday, and the game today is still performing better (which is why I put in the side comment of maybe it was 1.1.0a... but somehow I doubt that haha).

As for "not" installing CCC is a bad idea... well, considering most guys over on guru3d or the att forums tend to argue that CCC is the worst thing you could do to your machine....

... who is right?

I just fiddle until I find a situation I like better then I had before. And then go with that ;)

Edited by Frigidman

Before 1.1 I was capped at 60fps, now I blip up to the 70s or 80s most of the time, so they did something FPS-wise in the 1.1 patch in my opinion. My opinion is not worth much, but that's my observation for what it's worth.

Errr... actually it sounds like you were on "Vertical Sync" before 1.1, and the 1.1 turned it off in your game preferences. Just a guess, considering a lot of monitors are 60hz that it matches too.

Can you elaborate on why it is a bad idea. Unless I want to manually force a feature there is no reason to have it.

Had my 9800pro cooked with using it (not saying that is why it died). The 4870 I have now is 3.5 years old and works better without it.

I miss out on some things but to be honest I find I do not miss them at all. Though I am sincerely curious as to why it is a bad idea? I have never heard someone say that before.

CCC is used to adjust color, screen, game settings and other perimeters for your graphic card, plus update to newer driver and control over EyeFinity.

Not quite sure if game profiles will work without it as well.

If you don't need all that, sure uninstall it.

I never had problems on my 5870 with CCC and MoM running, I didn't like ATT though, I prefer RadeonPro over it anytime.

As for "not" installing CCC is a bad idea... well, considering most guys over on guru3d or the att forums tend to argue that CCC is the worst thing you could do to your machine....

As I recall that was a hype started on Guru3D by VonDach, I was never able to replicate the DPC latency issues he claimed that it adds.

EDIT: I never installed the Audio driver that ships with them.

And I'm not a big fan of ATT either, so my guess is that either of those two is the sinner.

Edited by Mineria

As I recall that was a hype started on Guru3D by VonDach, I was never able to replicate the DPC latency issues he claimed that it adds.

EDIT: I never installed the Audio driver that ships with them.

And I'm not a big fan of ATT either, so my guess is that either of those two is the sinner.

Yeah... the ONLY reason I had ATT installed, was so I could hot-key a color fix so that after a game launches, I hit the hotkey and the black point is fixed right. Seems every game resets the color fix, so I had to find ATT to allow me to set the color after launch (as alt-tabbing also resets the dang color fix too).

My monitor hates blacks below a certain value (if the game shows true black, its actually brighter on the monitor vs black +1). I could never get CCC to adjust the black point properly, thus why I had gone with ATT.

Everything else I always said "let the game decide".

But anyways, I will eventually install CCC back to see if it doesn't have any negative side effects, after I play the game for awhile like its behaving now. Did some warzones tonight without any slideshow situations! And I had left all graphic options set to high hahaha.

I'm always open to reinforced actual suggestions on better things to run to make my machine happier. "There are better tweaks"... what? And back it up with examples to convince me :)

Edited by Frigidman

There are better tweaks"... what? And back it up with examples to convince me :)

Those are mentioned in other threads labeled with fps and performance here on the forum.

Besides that, there are several OS tweak guides, VonDach did combine a lot of them into a single thread on steam, worth checking out, but remember, OS tweaking is not for those who are faint of hearth.

Which means things can go wrong if you are a real man (no backups) and don't pay attention while applying tweaks.

One more tip, always crosscheck with the event log while testing tweaks.

EDIT: found it

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315790

Read trough the whole thing, there are several corrections like not disabling HPET as first mentioned ( I had my discussion with him regarding HPET :D )

Neither do you need to do everything that is mentioned, but worth trying.

One of my own examples is disabling AV, and saw it improved performance.

I then checked it through with process monitor, dpc latency monitor etc.

The AV's NDIS filter driver caused DPC latency spikes.

So I installed another product that didn't, after which I reported it to the AV creators so they knew about it and looked into it.

Which they did and fixed the issue.

Edited by Mineria

So are you saying to turn off HPET, or are you arguing against them saying to turn it off? Regardless the case, ASUS Bios won't let me turn it off (not even an option).

Hehe, I saw this about ccc:

"CCC.exe can increase DPC latency, you can check that with Resplendence Tools & DPC Latency Checker. Shut down that stuttering b**ch and her mother (MOM.exe), you will get some additional fps from it."

They do say to go ahead and install ccc, but to kill it and mom before launching games.

And finally, skimming/reading through all of that... I don't know what you are referencing by "AV". Audio/Video component output? AntiVirus checker? hehe... no, seriously, AV could stand for any number of many things listed out on that thread. Nothing was specifically labeled "AV", so I would like to know.

The rest of the stuff, generally... I have already had tweaked, or didn't want too. There were a couple things the interested me, and I will be trying out one by one. Mainly my problem is stutter. I could be happy with just 30fps, so long as it was SMOOTH. Instead I have 40-112 fps, and its choppy, stutters, hang spikes. Drives me up the wall. So when I see tweaks to remove that specific issue, I am interested. I could care less if a tweak gives me 5fps more... cause if its all still stuttering, it wont matter ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.