Well, I've about had it.

fruitofvictory

I am loving the game. I love the story, love the gameplay for the most part, and am not taking some of the issues too seriously, as I know that the game is in it's infancy, and that there will be improvements made, and changes inbound to fix some of the more obvious problems.

But I just spent the last 2 hours getting myself a headache doing something that has damn near made me not want to play this game at all.

Trying to get a datacron.

Seriously, Bioware. This is an MMO. I did not buy this game to be forced (yes, forced, unless I want to miss out on stats others get and matrix shards needed for combines) to play a platformer that has terrible controls.

I am a Sith, yet despite all the agility, 15 foot jumping skills, etc of Sith and Jedi in both the movies and books I can manage what? A 3 foot vertical jump, 6 foot horizontal jump? ANd I am expected to leap from box to box, then onto thin girders and beams, repeatedly, in order to reach a goal that, should I fail to reach it, will leave me arguably weaker than others who manage it?

There is nothing fun about this, nothing involving skill, and nothing that reflects any aspect of RPG gaming in this.

I really didn't get into this game to spend 2 hours watching my character barely jump, miss jumps despite careful timing, fail to jump at all and walk off of ledges despite me pushing the damn button, walk off of ledges and beams after I successfully made the jump - even though my fingers weren't on the controls at all, and just generally be completely subpar to everything Sith and Jedi are shown to be easily capable of in both the movies and Expanded Universe.

Never got the datacron I was going for yet. 2 hours with nothing to show for it but a headache and a complete lack of interest in playing the game anymore tonight.

I don't know who thought up this idea, but it is a bad one. Datacrons, cool. Some extra stats and some awesome lore to read for getting them? Great idea. Hiding them in out of the way spots? Fine by me. Putting them in out of the way spots ONLY reachable by having to play a platformer on par with Tomb Raider but without the controls and responsiveness from my character needed to reach them without a huge amount of frustration, and in some cases, death from falling? Not fun, not interesting, not a part of an RPG, and not something I signed up for.

And if I don't do it, my character is arguably a cripple compared to others who get lucky and do, and I miss out on lore.

This is the first thing to really make me consider cancelling my sub. The FPS issues were bad, but they are clearing up over time and I believe Bioware is doing a great job fixing them. But this datacron business - I'm worried they won't address it, and that as a consequence, I will miss out. I am a completionist, and just not doing it is not an option, but neither is giving myself nightly headaches and frustration trying to, in effect, play an entirely different kind of game than the one I signed up for.

Your move, Bioware.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving the game. I love the story, love the gameplay for the most part, and am not taking some of the issues too seriously, as I know that the game is in it's infancy, and that there will be improvements made, and changes inbound to fix some of the more obvious problems.

But I just spent the last 2 hours getting myself a headache doing something that has damn near made me not want to play this game at all.

Seriously, Bioware. This is an MMO. I did not buy this game to be forced (yes, forced, unless I want to miss out on stats others get and matrix shards needed for combines) to play a platformer that has terrible controls.

I am a Sith, yet despite all the agility, 15 foot jumping skills, etc of Sith and Jedi in both the movies and books I can manage what? A 3 foot vertical jump, 6 foot horizontal jump? ANd I am expected to leap from box to box, then onto thin girders and beams, repeatedly, in order to reach a goal that, should I fail to reach it, will leave me arguably weaker than others who manage it?

There is nothing fun about this, nothing involving skill, and nothing that reflects any aspect of RPG gaming in this.

I really didn't get into this game to spend 2 hours watching my character barely jump, miss jumps despite careful timing, fail to jump at all and walk off of ledges despite me pushing the damn button, walk off of ledges and beams after I successfully made the jump - even though my fingers weren't on the controls at all, and just generally be completely subpar to everything Sith and Jedi are shown to be easily capable of in both the movies and Expanded Universe.

Never got the datacron I was going for yet. 2 hours with nothing to show for it but a headache and a complete lack of interest in playing the game anymore tonight.

I don't know who thought up this idea, but it is a bad one. Datacrons, cool. Some extra stats and some awesome lore to read for getting them? Great idea. Hiding them in out of the way spots? Fine by me. Putting them in out of the way spots ONLY reachable by having to play a platformer on par with Tomb Raider but without the controls and responsiveness from my character needed to reach them without a huge amount of frustration, and in some cases, death from falling? Not fun, not interesting, not a part of an RPG, and not something I signed up for.

And if I don't do it, my character is arguably a cripple compared to others who get lucky and do, and I miss out on lore.

This is the first thing to really make me consider cancelling my sub. The FPS issues were bad, but they are clearing up over time and I believe Bioware is doing a great job fixing them. But this datacron business - I'm worried they won't address it, and that as a consequence, I will miss out. I am a completionist, and just not doing it is not an option, but neither is giving myself nightly headaches and frustration trying to, in effect, play an entirely different kind of game than the one I signed up for.

Your move, Bioware.

This is a matter of player skill and coordination. They have a lot optimizing to do on their end, but it is doable. I'd rather not see them change the locations. I find datacron hunting to be a refreshing change from the same old same old.

This is a matter of player skill and coordination. They have a lot optimizing to do on their end, but it is doable. I'd rather not see them change the locations. I find datacron hunting to be a refreshing change from the same old same old.

It's really not. It is a matter of poor controls for what is expected. I literally watched my character walk off of platforms, boxes and beams that I landed on, without my hands on the controls. He just kept going despite my careful timing and successful jumps. Sometimes, I'd press the spacebar on time and he didn't jump at all. Other times, I'd press the spacebar and he would barely move into the air, despite making the jump on the last attempt in the exact same circumstances with the exact same timing.

Weird deja vu. Not just the idea is similar, but this whole post is almost identical to one I read before. Either you've made this thread before, or you have an uncanny link to someone and have expressed the same thought while changing only a few words.

EDIT: The controls are wonky trying for some of those datacrons. The pipe one on Coruscant...wow.

Edited by lucasomega

If it wasn't for them Stupidcrons- would anyone have any reason to return to area's you have already cleared -

They seem like an after thought-

I'm glad that they made a reason for people to return to areas they wouldn't normally go back to.

Your move, Bioware.

Lol Corellia +4 WP Datacron, yeah it was buggy as hell. I managed to get it after about 4 tries. Big picture though - at 50 with some raid gear I had almost 2000 WP, so it's like .2% And don't worry, with no combat log noone will be able ot point out your shortcomings anyway. =}

e

what ever he had written you would have wrote the opposite --

What a drama for one datacron. Are you serious?

And no, if you skip it (giving you a headache is much more of an issue than not taking it, at least for me would be) you won't be weaker than the others. Several meager points on a stat or a shard here and there won't make you weaker/stronger.

That's a fun mini game for ppl who want to play it, have fun with the ones you can reach and just skip the ones that give you trouble.

You are either trolling very hard or you are not enjoying the game really, if you don't wanna play it because of such a minor, ridiculous i would say, thing.

Edited by Asparhruk

The stat bonus you are worried about is +2. Let's say it's Stamina. Which at level 50 equates about, oh 40hp? My BASIC attack at level 50 as a Sage HEALER spec does 500dmg.

Point is, don't worry about it if you cant get it. It's not the end of the world.

I am a completionist. It is more than +2, as there are tons of these datacrons out there.

Additionally, not getting them means missing out on lore.

Not getting them is not an option for someone who plays like I do. And Bioware knows that there are quite a lot of people with my exact attitude when it comes to it.

Simply saying "then don't do it" is not a solution, sorry.

What a drama for one datacron. Are you serious?

And no, if you skip it (giving you a headache is much more of an issue than not taking it, at least for me) you won't be weaker than the others. Several meager points on a stat or a shard here and there won't make you weaker/stronger.

That's a fun game for ppl who want to play it, have fun with the ones you can reach and just skip the ones that give you trouble.

You are either trolling very hard or you are not enjoying the game really, if you don't wanna play it because of such a minor, ridiculous i would say, thing.

You're missing the point. As for people saying they are a nice touch, I agree. But if they are going to be at the end of several touchy jumps, Bioware needs to adjust the controls to be responsive for this sort of thing, as well as give my Sith the ability to perform these jumps on a level consistent with lore.

I am enjoying the game. I am not a serial complainer - I have in fact defended the game and could be called a Biodrone by people who are just here to troll and be idiots.

But this is just too much, for me. My head hurts, both from watching the same thing over and over and from being frustrated by the hours spent attempting ONE datacron. And I don't even know if there are others even -more- difficult.

Edited by fruitofvictory

Sorry I felt the exact opposite. I love that some datacrons are a challenge to get to. Nothing is more fun then running around Black sun territory looking up and seeing the glow from that datacron and going, how the heck do I get up there.

While it gives you a small stat bonus it is more, to me, the fun of not only me but watch other people go up and get them. Our group had a great time just laughing at each others missing the jumps.

The stat bonus you are worried about is +2. Let's say it's Stamina. Which at level 50 equates about, oh 40hp? My BASIC attack at level 50 as a Sage HEALER spec does 500dmg.

Point is, don't worry about it if you cant get it. It's not the end of the world.

This. Why worry about some low datacon which will have very little impact at all on your charecter. The goal is to enjoy your time playing. If something in a game is not fun for me....no matter what it is..I will not do it. Simple as that.

I am a completionist. It is more than +2, as there are tons of these datacrons out there.

Additionally, not getting them means missing out on lore.

Not getting them is not an option for someone who plays like I do. And Bioware knows that there are quite a lot of people with my exact attitude when it comes to it.

Simply saying "then don't do it" is not a solution, sorry.

Lol, then bite the bullet and keep on trying. *** are you whining for then?

It's just a content made to require a bit of different skills from players. It's not needed to progress in the game and is not needed to be better than the others, cause the points are nothing spectacular that will make you UP if you miss them or OP if you collect them all.

So?

Either keep trying and improve, if you are so obsessed about getting them, or skip the ones that frustrate you. What exactly do you want?

Bioware changing this mini game cause you can't skip a datacron but then you can't keep trying to get it?

This. Why worry about some low datacon which will have very little impact at all on your charecter. The goal is to enjoy your time playing. If something in a game is not fun for me....no matter what it is..I will not do it. Simple as that.

If I am unable to do something that others of my class can do, I will not be having fun with the game. I am a completionist. I don't just skip over content, ever, in any game. Never have, never will.

My problem, again, is not with the idea itself. It is with the poor controls that make it so frustrating, as well as the lack of abilities demonstrated by characters of my type in every movie and book. Why can a Sith, with his mighty Force powers, only jump 3 feet into the air, again?

It's really not. It is a matter of poor controls for what is expected. I literally watched my character walk off of platforms, boxes and beams that I landed on, without my hands on the controls. He just kept going despite my careful timing and successful jumps. Sometimes, I'd press the spacebar on time and he didn't jump at all. Other times, I'd press the spacebar and he would barely move into the air, despite making the jump on the last attempt in the exact same circumstances with the exact same timing.

Yeah, there's a lot of responsiveness issues with the game, both in combat and movement. I get it. If/when they fix it, what I said would apply. I understand your frustration, but I don't believe the currently buggy state of the game warrants a change for the long run when this will hopefully be ironed out soon(ish).

e

what ever he had written you would have wrote the opposite --

Reported for trolling. If you don't have anything to say related to the subject, don't say anything at all.