looking for advice from a sabslinger

greeblesnort

I recently max'd out my SS tree and am really liking the DPS and style, and Rapid Fire is pretty nice in PVE, but I was looking, and I could take 7 points out of the SS tree and get Shock Charge and Arsonist, which sounds like a net benefit for someone who throws *a lot* of grenades and for PvP. Nobody ever lets me sit there and dump three Speed Shots on them in PvP...and to be honest, lately, after the first few minutes in PvP, I seem to attract 3+ enemies bent on my destruction every time I spawn. The nice thing being that those were likely people that I just burned down in under 20 seconds =)

So, what I was looking for was opinions on Shock Charge and Arsonist, specifically, to get a better idea of their play.

my personal opinion -

arsonist is great

shock charge is decent

However, I don't think what you are thinking about doing would be a very good choice because sharpshooter is based around high, single-target burst, not AoE and DoTs. Double dealing never seems to be good, either go for DoTs or AoE, or go for single target burst.

Arsonist is decent i suppose. Adds more damage to frag grenade crit's and orbital strike.

If you're pvping, I would take the shock charge + the snare on it. It last 18s providing it doesn't get removed, so if you need to kite or slow down someone, it is a pretty nice tool.

my personal opinion -

arsonist is great

shock charge is decent

However, I don't think what you are thinking about doing would be a very good choice because sharpshooter is based around high, single-target burst, not AoE and DoTs. Double dealing never seems to be good, either go for DoTs or AoE, or go for single target burst.

I agree. Pick one or the other.

I played sharpshooter for a while and found it to be VERY effective in PVE. However, in PVP the lack of mobility and attention for high bursts resulted in a lot of death. I basically went one for one all the time: burn a guy down, then immediately get swarmed and die. The immobility is really the kicker, it's a pain in PVP.

I switched to Saboteur a few weeks ago and, while my DPS in PVP definitely dropped, I have LOVED it in PVP. My survivability has gone way up and I feel like my AoE and DoT damage are a much greater help to my team than me simply burning one target and then dying immediately. I highly recommend the saboteur tree for PVP. It's fun and effective.

For PVP Marksman was alright, but after trying 5 different specs (marksman, sabotage, dirty fighting, hybrid marksman/sabotage and my current spec which is mostly dirty fighting, with a few points spread throughout the other two trees), I feel like dirty fighting is far superior for PVP.

Lets you sit there if you're given the chance, but also allows you to kite if need be.

I was thinking about trying something similar (shock charge was a given, to see how far I could push wounding shot's damage output).

Edited by Ukita

Generally I liked the Saboteur tree for PVP, with the exception of Incendiary Grenade.

While it is kind of nice to throw one on a door and know that it's uncappable for the duration, the 3s delay before it does any damage simply neuters it against player opponents.

Sabotage and Hotwired Defenses are the core of the survivability of the tree; managing your Defense Screen and Cool Head cooldown resets with Sabotage let you recover from low energy situations and help keep you alive.

I've been experimenting with a burst build (23/16/2) that includes a little bit of the Sabotage tree that I have been happy with so far. It suffers from more energy starvation than a deeper sabo build does, especially at my level when I don't yet have Insurrection for the energy gain on contingency pops. But it gains an insane opening combo (DOTs, Cover, Sabo Charge, Smugluck, Burst, Trick, Aimed, Burst, Trick) that nearly rivals Scoundrels/Operatives on taking someone down fast.

I've been running around with a 23/18/0 spec since launch. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rRrbdRoRZrI0boRb.1

The sharpshooter tree causes some serious burst and this hybrid spec has most of the talents that account for it. However, this spec has some additional advantages compared to the standard spec:

* Shock Charge makes kiting possible.

* AoE damage comparable to a full saboteur spec.

* A buffed Sabotage Charges complements the burst. Sabotage Charge -> Aimed Shot -> Trick Shot, when setup correctly, gives healers a run for their money. Nah kidding. It's a guaranteed kill.

Good luck and enjoy! Personally thinking about trying a 23/0/18 build next: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rRrbdRoRZZGbrkbd.1

Edited by Moolah

that's pretty close to what I wanted to try out, but I was more interested in combining Snap Shot and Hot Pursuit to get a "use anywhere" insta Burst and combine a bunch of enter/leave cover bonuses so that I'd be popping up and down like a Jack in the box, spamming bursts, grenades and trickshots. Testing shows that leaving cover clears the instant for Burst tho, so I essentially gimped my single target damage for no real additional benefit. I might try it again when I get my last two points, as Arsonist might make the build worth it.

Jep, neither can you move while casting Charged Burst with Hot Pursuit even though the tooltip suggests this.

The benefit of Hot Pursuit only seems to be related to bugs, in which Hot Pursuit allows you to use Charged Burst when you leave cover and you are refrained to take cover due to immobilization or an invalid surface.

For PVP Marksman was alright, but after trying 5 different specs (marksman, sabotage, dirty fighting, hybrid marksman/sabotage and my current spec which is mostly dirty fighting, with a few points spread throughout the other two trees), I feel like dirty fighting is far superior for PVP.

Lets you sit there if you're given the chance, but also allows you to kite if need be.

I was thinking about trying something similar (shock charge was a given, to see how far I could push wounding shot's damage output).

From my understanding, although I have not yet tried this, that would not work. The way the tooltips word it, shock charge deals "energy damage," not "bleed damage" so wounding shot would not benefit from it. However, If I'm wrong this would not be the first time bioware's tooltips have been misleading.

Would be awesome if you could try it out, and then report back to everyone else whether wounding shots does benefit from shock charge.

But it gains an insane opening combo (DOTs, Cover, Sabo Charge, Smugluck, Burst, Trick, Aimed, Burst, Trick) that nearly rivals Scoundrels/Operatives on taking someone down fast.

...Once every minute.

I tried that build, didn't like it. Unless you get a lucky crit on your charged burst, your aimed shot is still left at 2.5 seconds unless you use speed shoot or smuggler's luck once a minute.

Even with the quick aim proc, your setup is still overly long... in excess of 10 seconds, which isn't really a burst. more like a massive DoT. And you're immobile all that time.

The strength of full sab is that its burst is a bit lower, but you're not jerking around in cover for 10 seconds at a time to use it. You just drop into cover, throw a sab charge, speed shots, then exist cover. If they're near death you can also follow through with a quickdraw, and you always have enough energy for quickshots spam.

Full sab, now with dirty fighting for the 10 points, is still the spec I come back to after trying everyone's whacky hybrids they post on the forums.

Edited by StealthNerf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.