Voice Chat needed

XboxDester

Since I play with a number of friends and it is dificult to chat via text durring the more frenetic points in combat, it would be much easier if we could use a voice chat system. While there are other systems that can allow voice chat, it would be nice if it was integrated directly into the client. By doing so, players would not have to drop out of the game to adjust settings, volumes, etc.

Thanks,

XboxDester

This is not a flame... this is just previous experience. Voice Chat built into games is not very good. I recommend Ventrilo. There are others like Teamspeak, Mumble, etc. These VoIP programs work just fine with the game, as long as you run them as an administrator.

yea, use one of the quality voice chat programs that are freely available. when wow tried to put built in voice into their game, it was awful, i tried once, for about two minutes, and then turned it off.

you can setup a free vent server for up to ten people iirc.

The voice chat has sucked in every PC game I've played that included it. Even Blizzard put it in WoW a few years ago and I have never seen anyone use it. Ever.

You can rent a 10-person Ventrilo server for $2/month. I host a Mumble/Murmur server for my guild on my home connection for free.

Edited by iain_b

This is not a flame... this is just previous experience. Voice Chat built into games is not very good. I recommend Ventrilo. There are others like Teamspeak, Mumble, etc. These VoIP programs work just fine with the game, as long as you run them as an administrator.

DDO has a really good built in voice chat. IMHO they should add it in. It would make PUG's much more viable.

I see most everyone has replied with this, but I'd rather not have a lousy voice chat built into the game. If they are willing to put in the investment to make a really good one, great. But most MMOs with voice chat have made ones that are really bad.

Ventrilo and Mumble are my two favorites. The latter is a bit more expensive but has virtually no lag ever; worth the money if you're serious about raiding.

Im not sure if I'm just looking at the obvious ... but ... considering most PUG's don't share the same Mumble/Vent/TS3 server details, its pretty darn difficult to talk to people you group up with.

Sure, suggesting "Use a quality voice chat program out there" is great for if you ALWAYS play with the exact same people all the time... but what about all those hundreds, thousands, of people out there who are not even in a guild or have friends like that?

Having a viable in-game voice chat option for groups, would go a long way there.

1: It doesn't add lag to the servers, because voice chat servers dont run on the same server the game is running off. The lag would be no more then what you get while running another background app like mum/vent/ts3.

2: No one is forced to use it in groups, that is what a toggle is for.

3: There have been some pretty good in-game voice chat systems. DDO, TF2 come to mind (course my experience with other game's voice chats is limited). Cripes even the basic voice chat inside LOTRO works for the general masses.

So, yes, having an in-game options for groups for all those people who cannot join a private server somewhere... is still a good idea.

Its not like in-game voice chat _cant_ be good. Using external programs is not convenient and im sure one day high quality in-game voice chat will be standard. There is no reason we shouldnt demand it now.