Best View in SWTOR Contest has returned! ×

Take armoring away from Cybertech and give it to Armormech

Kalistar

The way it stands right now Armormech is probably a subpar crew skill. With the amount of orange moddable armor out there, most people will probably find orange gear that they like and just upgrade the mods inside them as they level. Armstech is a little bit better since they can craft weapons and barrels which can be used to upgrade orange modded weapons. However cybertech can make armoring and mods which gives them a better market for selling stuff that they can craft.

Why not remove the armoring schematics from cybertech and put them all into armormech. That way if someone want to upgrade their gear, it gives 3 different people the chance to sell an item rather than 2. Armormech to make the armoring, cybertech to make the mods and artificer to make the enhancements. I think this would make more sense and balance out the crew skills a little better. I mean it would make sense to see an armormech to make the armoring like people would go see an armstech to make barrels.\

What do you guys think? I mean is it fair or even make sense that for someone to upgrade orange modded armor that cybertech can make 2 of the 3 items to fill in the slots and armormech has no option to to upgrade any part of orange modded armor?

Edited by Kalistar

What about Synthweaving?

This,

They cannot give it to Armourmech, because both Armech and Syweave are supposed to be equal.

They could give it to both, that is unlikely though, because they don't want to start doubling up. SO it has to stay on a neutral skill.

Edited by AngelousWang

What about Synthweaving?

Good point, I didn't even think about that, but maybe they should get the options to make armoring too or split them up between armormech and synthweaving. Maybe the aim and cunning ones for armormech and the strength and willpower ones for synthweaving?

The amount of things Cybertech can craft are actually quite limited. And the profession is uniformly quite uninteresting. A new Earpiece every once in a while, Earpiece not being the most exciting gear type.

Droid parts, which no one really needs or uses. And are pointless in light of quests rewards, which grant fully modable pieces. If you wish that for your weak little butler droid.

Ship parts, which are only notable for a mini-game and nothing more. It all really comes down to the 2 mods types. In respect an Armortech can craft medium and heavy armor across various diffirent slots (feet, head, chest, etc). Taking away Armoring from Cybertech would please Armortechs, but leave Cybertech in a state of not providing anything of note outside of an earpiece and a mod. Which we all knows are so far inferior to vendor mods and pvp/pve pieces.

In a word, no. To put it bluntly, bite me.

Excuse the directness, but people keep calling over and over for nerfs, and it's annoying. Cybertech does not need to be nerfed. And you're calling for purple patterns, and all the time and credits that have been invested in getting those purple patterns, to be stripped away? Seriously? You don't think that wouldn't bother anyone?

Ask for buffs, not nerfs.

Also, if you think making Armoring would be a big deal, you should probably think again. It's not. And you don't want to split that ability with another class, either. Right now I can make a small profit with Armoring, though it's not really worthwhile. Mods, though? Too many people make them, and right now, on my server, they're selling BELOW cost. I stay away from Mod production.

Anyway, trust me, the ability to create Armoring would not be your golden goose. Ask for something better.

One other thing to remember for synthweaving, armstech and armortech.

The oranges you make can crit, giving the item an Augment slot. I have seen screenshots of it done for Armstech, so it's not a big leap to believe it works for Armortech and Synthweaving.

While this means you need to keep running hard modes for the mats to keep trying it, you can eventually kit your character out with items that allow one more mod slot than any other item in the game (to my knowledge). This puts Synthweaving and Armortech as even better than Armstech, as Armstechs can only make 1 weapon for themselves with that extra augment slot (2 for very specific classes like Mercenary BHs and Gunslinger Smugglers), while Synthweavers and Armortechs can do it for multiple slots. The difference though is that this means a lot of work for these benefits, over other crafts which are more instant gratification.

Edited by KazeKirin

As both an Armormech and a Cybertech, believe me, it's not worth it. I thought that if I did both I'd make orange armor that I'd fill myself. I've never bothered doing that even once. Why? Because I can churn out one purple piece of armor -or- I can churn out a orange piece of armor, a purple armoring, a purple mod, and buy a blue enhancement from the commendation vendors and in the end the orange piece still won't be as good as the purple piece made by my armormech that took FAR less time and mats. Edited by Lady_Alyria

The oranges you make can crit, giving the item an Augment slot. I have seen screenshots of it done for Armstech, so it's not a big leap to believe it works for Armortech and Synthweaving.

While this means you need to keep running hard modes for the mats to keep trying it, you can eventually kit your character out with items that allow one more mod slot than any other item in the game (to my knowledge). This puts Synthweaving and Armortech as even better than Armstech, as Armstechs can only make 1 weapon for themselves with that extra augment slot (2 for very specific classes like Mercenary BHs and Gunslinger Smugglers), while Synthweavers and Armortechs can do it for multiple slots. The difference though is that this means a lot of work for these benefits, over other crafts which are more instant gratification.

You can also walk naked up Mount Everest while singing the theme song of Cheers.

Additionally, if you flap your arms fast enough, you could theoretically fly.

Full kitted in oranges with augment slots?

Wow, you really know how to reach deep into the deepest well of improbabilities and pull for the tiniest quantum particle of possibility. You get right on that. When you get -ONE- piece of orange augment-slotted gear, you come back and tell us how much it cost you in time, resource gathering and credits to do it.

Then do it for all the other slots you can make oranges for.

See you in three years.

Uhm... I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I don't need to run hard mode instances to get the mats for orange schematics. The schematics use the same mats as anything else of that difficulty level. But again, you make yourself (or sell) an orange augmented slot item to a lvl 10 (and only needing like 30 skill to make) and that person NEVER needs to buy another for that slot.

Mods, armoring and earpieces you have to constantly keep upgrading as you level up.... buying ones that require higher skill/expensive mats to make and thus more profit. "Really good in slot" orange with augment... buy once never buy again.

Therein lies the problem.

Edit:

Oh, and almost forgot. Yes, Synthweaving and Armortech should have had wis/str and aim/cunning armoring mods respectively. But as previous poster had said, that boat has sailed, and it would be far too destructive to change it now... maybe *add* the armorings to synth/armor going forward, but removing them from cyber is a no-go.

Edited by GnatB

Crafting has no real value to a power player and only acts as a time sink to slow leveling.

Granted it's nice to have a purple mod in a slot but until you hit 50 it's just going to be replaced in a few levels. Which may be a few days or even a few hours depending on play style.

Taking time to harvest and make items then re-engineering them to blue much less purple is very costly in time and credits. Do a few quest with that same time, earn some accommodations and buy enough purple mods to up your orange armor... No money sink or time wasted plus you're leveling while you play.

I played my bounty hunter up to 50 and on the way stopped to try and keep my cyberskill equal or above his level. Eventually I gave up trying to craft enough items to keep my armor up graded and just bought blues from the accommodation vendors . I continued my crafting racing to get to 400 skill so I could purple my armoring and Mods. but found that even they were quickly replaced by vendor items with only a few days of doing the level 50 dailies.

So at 50 the only real use of my crafting skill is to twink my low level alts..but even trying to keep the alts twinked is just a time sink as the purple item you make for level 25 are easily replaced with a blue or even a green item in three or so levels. Which for me can be just a day or two of play...

Summary: Crafting can be fun and might be a useful tool to game immersion if that's what you like, but I would not expect it to add any thing to the game that can not be gotten easier or quicker elsewhere. After all while it may be cool that Vader built the droids, nobody paid money to go see a movie just to watch some guy sit at a crafting bench all day.

Exception: Seems like there is always an exception. Biochem... Purple heal packs that never exhaust and can be reused every 90 secs is the bomb. Buffs that never run out..Sweet! Healing yourself and your companion at the same time...Priceless!

This,

They cannot give it to Armourmech, because both Armech and Syweave are supposed to be equal.

They could give it to both, that is unlikely though, because they don't want to start doubling up. SO it has to stay on a neutral skill.

Or they could give synth the armor mods related to sith classes and armormech the armor mods related to mundane classes.

I did armor for all of my first orange gear drop and look on a commendation and PvP vendor. When it was very clear I could get my armor at low cost froma vendor needing only mods to keep my comp and myself geared a quick switch to cybertech was in order.

Of coruse I don't care what my armor looks like, in fact the more lowbie the better in my mind as long as I can slot it to perform. The sleeper car philosophy of PvP.

Or they could give synth the armor mods related to sith classes and armormech the armor mods related to mundane classes.

This would make cybertech a useless profession then (actually, more useless than it is now).

Mods (which you can get better doing daily quests), an ear piece, and ship parts.

If I was able to get a refund of all my credits spent on recipes and get all my mats used back, then I would say great. Then drop Cybertech and pickup Armortech.

A problem I see is how little of a return you'd get on your items if armor mods went somewhere else. I'm a cybertech and the only piece I make that actually gets a decent resale to another vendor is the armor mods. Mod mods and ear pieces are basically nothing when resold.

Not everyone wants to become an epic galactic market trader. Some just want to craft the items for themselves, their party or companions. Then just quickly offload the overage that was made to increase their level to a medical droid or the like.

And yes, i realize that ship upgrades get a decent return too when resold but not compared to the price it takes to craft them. And like I said, some people don't want to be bothered with the trading system. These pieces might demand a high price point now but as people progress you'll be lucky to get the cost of one crafting mission for anything you made under level 25.

The way it stands right now Armormech is probably a subpar crew skill. With the amount of orange moddable armor out there, most people will probably find orange gear that they like and just upgrade the mods inside them as they level. Armstech is a little bit better since they can craft weapons and barrels which can be used to upgrade orange modded weapons. However cybertech can make armoring and mods which gives them a better market for selling stuff that they can craft.

Why not remove the armoring schematics from cybertech and put them all into armormech. That way if someone want to upgrade their gear, it gives 3 different people the chance to sell an item rather than 2. Armormech to make the armoring, cybertech to make the mods and artificer to make the enhancements. I think this would make more sense and balance out the crew skills a little better. I mean it would make sense to see an armormech to make the armoring like people would go see an armstech to make barrels.\

What do you guys think? I mean is it fair or even make sense that for someone to upgrade orange modded armor that cybertech can make 2 of the 3 items to fill in the slots and armormech has no option to to upgrade any part of orange modded armor?

Don't take anything away from any professions. What you want is plans to make gear that is better than PVP gear and on par with boss drops. I want to see that so all professions can make you good money if you put time into them. I hate this nerf/buff talk. You just piss off everyone after a while.

A problem I see is how little of a return you'd get on your items if armor mods went somewhere else. I'm a cybertech and the only piece I make that actually gets a decent resale to another vendor is the armor mods. Mod mods and ear pieces are basically nothing when resold.

Not everyone wants to become an epic galactic market trader. Some just want to craft the items for themselves, their party or companions. Then just quickly offload the overage that was made to increase their level to a medical droid or the like.

And yes, i realize that ship upgrades get a decent return too when resold but not compared to the price it takes to craft them. And like I said, some people don't want to be bothered with the trading system. These pieces might demand a high price point now but as people progress you'll be lucky to get the cost of one crafting mission for anything you made under level 25.

Any item sold to a vendor (and not another player) should ALWAYS be at a massive loss. Helps keep down inflation. (most games it's a standing exploit to take advantage of any item that accidentally returns a profit)