Is Assassin right for me?

Hieny

Hello SWTOR community!

So a brief history of my experience. I have played World of Warcraft since beta, and during that time I played mainly as a rogue, but also as a druid in the latter stages of wotlk, shortly before I quit. Now, I absolutely loved playing rogue, all aspects of it were great for me and it never got boring popping up behind someone beating the hell out of them in a battleground. Likewise, I really enjoyed slashing at npc's heel's which would eventually kill them. I played rogue to high warlord / glad in 2 seasons, and druid to glad in wotlk as restoration. I was forced to re-roll druid to heal and that became my main as I could also have the feral cat as a rogue type character. Anyways, the same cities / boss mechanics / attitude of people eventaully got to me and I stoped playing. Now, here I am trying to return to MMO's in the form of SWTOR.

So, people out there, Beta testers or people with EA, which class / setup is best for me? As previously stated I really like the stealth mechanic and attacking form behind someone. (No pun intended) I was really considering shadow assassin as the video's I've seen look very promising, but I figured the best advice I could get would be from one of you guys first hand.

Any feedback in appreciated, so thanks very much!

Hieny

Opertaive can be more like a rogue, but their real strength is healing and kiting, their melee is mostly a gimmick and would be impossible to be effective as an operative if you only used melee.

Fair point though to mention them as an alternative to marauder, but then again if he wants to use the force, marauder is the choice.

The dps assassin is a stealth enhancement shaman with no totems. It is not a rogue.

If you want to play a rogue then go marauder, its is almost identical only no stealth.

Really? That's perfect for me then. My main was an enhancement shaman (who was dual specced to heal when needed. I prefer to play resto vs any other healer). What about a DK comparison? I enjoyed blood tanking and dps as frost. Unholy was meh for me. Any suggestions?

The dps assassin is a stealth enhancement shaman with no totems. It is not a rogue.

If you want to play a rogue then go marauder, its is almost identical only no stealth.

Marauder is nothing like a rogue, they are like medium armor fury warriors.

-Fury/Rage Mechanic

-No Stealth

-Only similarity is Dual-Wield

Operative is the closest port to a rogue you can possibly get.

-Backstabs/Positional Attacks

-Stealth

-Poisons

-Very Reliant on Stealth Openers for Burst

Assassin is like a Light Armored Death Knight with Stealth

-Dark Charge/Lightning Charge/Surging Charge

(Blood Presence, Frost Presence, Unholy Presence)

-Force Pull (Death Grip)

-Can tank and dps

-Melee and Ranged Abilities

-Low Reliance on Stealth for Survival

On a further note, everyone and their mother are rolling Sith Sorcerers and Assassins. Therefore, if you want the class that most plays like a rogue and don't like thousands of other people having the same class as you, go with operative. Good Luck, Have Fun

Edited by LordVyrus

Marauder is nothing like a rogue, they are like medium armor fury warriors.

Assassin is like a Light Armored Death Knight with Stealth

-Dark Charge/Lightning Charge/Surging Charge

(Blood Presence, Frost Presence, Unholy Presence)

-Force Pull (Death Grip)

-Can tank and dps

-Melee and Ranged Abilities

-Low Reliance on Stealth for Survival

On a further note, everyone and their mother are rolling Sith Sorcerers and Assassins. Therefore, if you want the class that most plays like a rogue and don't like thousands of other people having the same class as you, go with operative. Good Luck, Have Fun

And this is why I love and hate the assassin...

And this is why I love and hate the assassin...

I agree! It was going to be my class choice too but if everyone is going to be rolling them maybe I'll have to roll something else.

Then again maybe not seeing as how the other class I would roll would be BH and that's just as bad lol. I'm screwed regardless!

Hmmm the operative looks..... maybe not my cup of tea so much. The assissin from what i've seen from video's seems to be melee melee melee lightening, rinse and repeat? Am I right or thereabouts with saying this?

Seems the class is a shaman with the ability to pick his fights. But I'm sure that, if there's indeed alot of other assassins around, you'll get swarmed the moment you get out of stealt to pick your fight in a battleground, just like roguefights in that other game.

Hmmm the operative looks..... maybe not my cup of tea so much. The assissin from what i've seen from video's seems to be melee melee melee lightening, rinse and repeat? Am I right or thereabouts with saying this?

Yes, stab stab, or lightning as a secondary option to do some damage from outside melee range.

Tried Him on BETA, Both PvP and PvE. But actually melee melee lightning is much more interesting that you making it look!;)

Really? That's perfect for me then. My main was an enhancement shaman (who was dual specced to heal when needed. I prefer to play resto vs any other healer). What about a DK comparison? I enjoyed blood tanking and dps as frost. Unholy was meh for me. Any suggestions?

If you want to make a DK comparison, a darkness/madness assassin might fit the bill, more defense with some mid range capabilities, no healing except for self-heals, sounds pretty much like a DK to me.

Opertaive can be more like a rogue, but their real strength is healing and kiting, their melee is mostly a gimmick and would be impossible to be effective as an operative if you only used melee.

Fair point though to mention them as an alternative to marauder, but then again if he wants to use the force, marauder is the choice.

Wow, that is pure ********. Concealment operative is the most rogue-like character in this game and they destroy in melee range with melee skills at high level (not 100% melee, but close to it). Get your facts straight dude.

I think the comparison to Enh Shaman with stealth is the most accurate for Assassin. Although as Darkness or Madness you can easily be deadly without it, though it helps get close to your target initially.

Edited by Makhbet