AFK bots

Cyprus

I was on Corellia yesterday just looking around (I enjoy trying to kill any gold star npc I find), and came across a player (lvl 26) afk, bubbling every few minutes. I decided to stick around and see what would happen next. Well, he was afk in front of a loot box area, he proceeded to try and loot the box that I had just looted in front of him. He than spun around in a very choppy action, ran a few feet, made a 90 degree turn then ran to another location and stopped. A few minutes later, another loot box spawned and he immediately sat down. A few seconds later he got up and did the exact opposite to the other box (rinse and repeat).

I looted the boxes a number of times before he could get to them, but in the end had to run off to finish up some quests.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior on their servers?

I see them all over in llum its shame that my tickets get closed and nothing done its been same low lvl bots on 2/4/7 on my server for weeks. I wouldn't waste you time trying to report them as I'm sure bio ware takes a cut of what the sites make selling credits as they let them do this regardless of people reporting them.

I did report him. Guess I can spend my evening trying to beat him to the punch. I also found that if I stood right where he was going to click on the box, he would target me instead of selecting the box. He would then move to a location where he would pick up aggro from mobs and die....

Simple solution to this. All chests should have 2 or 3 appropriate level enemies guarding them. If you can't kill the mobs, you don't get the chest. The reason why it can't be a single enemy is classes such as the Sith Assassin and Operative get non-combat generating CC abilities that allow them to sleep a single target, loot the box and then run away. By having at least a pair of enemies at all chests, these low level bots can't sit and farm the chest spawns for money.

I've been thinking about trying to find enemies with AE abilities and kiting them over to the chest locations to kill the bots. Haven't had the chance yet though.

Simple solution to this. All chests should have 2 or 3 appropriate level enemies guarding them. If you can't kill the mobs, you don't get the chest. The reason why it can't be a single enemy is classes such as the Sith Assassin and Operative get non-combat generating CC abilities that allow them to sleep a single target, loot the box and then run away. By having at least a pair of enemies at all chests, these low level bots can't sit and farm the chest spawns for money.

I've been thinking about trying to find enemies with AE abilities and kiting them over to the chest locations to kill the bots. Haven't had the chance yet though.

I would love this. Especially if they tied access to the chest to the mobs. Combat bots and ninja looters all at once.

Do an ingame petition with the name and details. I petitioned a bot on Ilum (low level on a lvl 50 planet, for helvede!) The Mods stated in another thread to petition those people.

I keep killing them when they are the other faction. :) But what's even more fun. Force pull or push them into the mob area. They then have no alternative but to run back to their camp if you move them deep enough into mobs. :D

Then petition em too. ;)

Edited by Daeborn

Or just force the box to spawn as a mob when opened, like a disguised security droid. Gotta kill the mob to get the loot.

Random spawn locations, mobs around box which you have to kill to loot. Many options and I know Bioware is concerned with bots so we'll see fixes soon.

It's not the content of the boxes. It is the fact these bots are looting them to collect the credits and then resell the credits on the various third party sites. Getting a character to 15-16 to get the ship takes only hours. It is all about the return for these gold sellers. Great return for small investment by being able to loot these level 50 boxes on Corellia and Ilum.

I was on Corellia yesterday just looking around (I enjoy trying to kill any gold star npc I find), and came across a player (lvl 26) afk, bubbling every few minutes. I decided to stick around and see what would happen next. Well, he was afk in front of a loot box area, he proceeded to try and loot the box that I had just looted in front of him. He than spun around in a very choppy action, ran a few feet, made a 90 degree turn then ran to another location and stopped. A few minutes later, another loot box spawned and he immediately sat down. A few seconds later he got up and did the exact opposite to the other box (rinse and repeat).

I looted the boxes a number of times before he could get to them, but in the end had to run off to finish up some quests.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior on their servers?

Clealry sounds like credit farmers using 3rd party macro tools to farm items and credits.

Easiest solution is to log a ticket with all the details, including the map coordinates under Player Conduct.

• 5 months later...

I suspect not much is being done, I reported one character who was farming items and credits using a bot and the ticket was closed within one minute. That person is still there farming credits. :mad:

Really spoiling the game for other players who want to complete it fair and square.

Putting mobs in front of the boxes only works for most areas. There are chests that can be farmed on shared planets (where both Empire and Republic can be at the same time), where they are in an area or heroic area that's littered with faction specific mobs. They can simply go to an empire-filled area where a republic player would normally venture to do a quest, or vice-versa, and farm chests there, and not have to worry about aggroing mobs.

Now on a PVP server, it's not as advantageous to do, since those bots can easily be ganked by someone of the other faction.

It would be nice though, if GM's could involve themselves more within the game parameters itself (remember the thread about the GM logging in as a droid to warn players that were camping a faction base entrance to impede progress?), so that any players reporting this kind of conduct can go side by side with the GM and see it for themselves. GM sees player, attempts to send a tell/trade/whatever in order to garner a response, gets none, removes player from game.

I'd just lock the boxes.

On Ilum and trying to open a chest? Level 49+ only.

That would let RPers travel to wherever the RP was, or to let guilds hold meetings on whatever planet they so chose (if they actually wanted to have a get together rather than just discuss things over guild chat), but it would not allow low level toons to sit on Ilum or Corellia opening up high level chests with lots of credits and high level loot.

Bot or not, deciding to fight that guy that is guarding the chest on a planet only to have some lowbie to appear out of nowhere, open the chest, and disappear again is not cool, and no matter how many guards you place in front of a chest, if I engage them the lowbie is off the hook for when they try to open it up.

Locks would only allow players to open chests if they meet a certain minimum level, and while it may not be the same as the minimum level of the planet, it would be close. Within a level or two, anyway.

That is better than an army of guards if you want to prevent low-level characters from accessing high-level chests.