Patch 1.1 is Extremely Underwhelming

lollermittens

They're adding:

- A new Level 50 Flashpoint -- no mention as to whether or not the other broken Level 50 FPs are being worked on (of course).

- A new dungeon (Operation) that accommodates 8-to-16 players -- again, no mention whatsoever about the problems currently halting progress of most guilds due to broken Operations.

- Adding AA -- this should have been included during release. There's just no excuse on BW's part... They even admitted that they had to rush the game out and couldn't include everything they wanted at release. Good job.

- Fixing "various bugs" -- absolutely NO mention of what "bugs" they're talking about. I could list 5-6 on top of my head that need instant fixing but BW is completely mum about the subject. Thanks, I appreciate the secrecy.

Things they are omitting and not addressing:

- Macros -- people who know how to use them will agree with me. The vocal majority on these forums don't seem to know what a macro is or how it even functions (typing technical commands in-game too hard for you?), so they'll start insulting me. People usually fear what they don't understand so it doesn't bother me.

- Brackets for PvP -- no explanation needed.

- UI improvements -- at the very LEAST give us target of target. What kind of modern MMO doesn't have such a basic functionality? Let's not even get into add-ons since this is a topic for another debate.

- Combat Log -- incompetence at its finest. Not a word has been said when this will be implemented.

- Dual Spec -- I know I'm reaching for the stars at this point but between PvP and FPs/Raiding at Level 50, I'm changing my spec multiple times a day and the cost is just not worth it.

In summary, they've left out all of the important gameplay elements people have been begging for and are trying to appease the masses by releasing another FP and another dungeon? New flash: I don't CARE about the story of FPs past the first time I run them... After that it's just a race to see who can spam their spacebars the fastest to get through the BS cutscenes we've seen 20 times.

What kind of developer centers an MMO around the class quest aspect of the game hence turning it into a weird SP-MP hybrid that caters to the most casuals of casuals?

There'll never be a good SW MMO IMO. Not with vultures like EA hogging the creative rights and pushing good developers like BW to release half-assed games.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you talking about? They say especially in the patch notes for 1.1 what the 'bugs' are they are fixing and which flashpoints they are fixing.

Did you actually read the patch notes? And if you did, please actually provide information on which ones you 'think' should be addressed if they are not in the list.

It wasnt till much later did WoW introduced duel-spec. This patch was surprising. The game will be barely a month old when this patch releases, and they are already adding new content? I have never seen this in a MMO launch, and i have been part alot of em. Edited by Tycoon

There'll never be a good SW MMO IMO. Not with vultures like EA hogging the creative rights and pushing good developers like BW to release half-assed games.

SWG was uber in its hay day, right around the time JTL xpac came out. SOOO many things you could just 'do' in that game without running back and forth from questgivers. Oh and did I mention they had Xwings and Tie fighters you could actually you know...pilot.

It wasnt till much later did WoW introduced duel-spec. This patch was surprising. The game liturally just came out, and they are already adding new content. I have never seen this in a MMO launch, and i have been part alot of em.

I try not to be a pessimist but all new content means to me this close to launch is that 'it was slated for launch but did not quite make it'

They're adding:

- Brackets for PvP -- no explanation needed.

- UI improvements -- at the very LEAST give us target of target. What kind of modern MMO doesn't have such a basic functionality? Let's not even get into add-ons since this is a topic for another debate.

- Combat Log -- incompetence at its finest. Not a word has been said when this will be implemented.

Umm... I believe Brackets are coming up in the patch 1.2 slated for March.

Target of Target is ALT+T.

Combat log is also coming up.

See: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/12/interview-biowares-james-ohlen-on-swtor/

We then have a second update coming in March, and that’s going to be a much bigger update, another flashpoint – part two of Rise of the Rakghouls – and we’re going to have a whole new planet, with a brand new operation and warzone. We’re going to have the second part of the Legacy system, which is the real meat of it. We’re going to have guild banks, PVP ranking systems, and a lot of smaller additions and bug fixes. And we’re already working on the third update. The story’s already written out and being recorded for the fourth, fifth… and I can’t say how many updates we have, but we have a lot. Just to give you an idea of how far we’re planning ahead, we’ve already got voiceover being recorded for content you won’t see for a year or more. We’re really making sure we deliver new content. We also want to make sure that the Star Wars galaxy feels alive, so we’re working on an event system, which we’ll be giving more details about in the new future.

100% agree with OP.

This was the make or break patch for me, and I believe for many others aswell.

The first major patch since launch and it literally didn't have ANY of the stuff this game needs in order to survive. If they seriously think target of target is ALT+T then.. yeah.. good luck with SWTOR, hehe.

Too bad BioWare didn't realize this.

I'll check in again in March when 1.2 is supposed to come out to see if it's worth subbing.

Edited by zolthie

100% agree with OP.

The first major patch since launch and it literally didn't have ANY of the stuff this game needs in order to survive.

RIP SWTOR

Mighty nice skewed sense of reality...none of the stuff that a game needs to survive?

Wow...

I try not to be a pessimist but all new content means to me this close to launch is that 'it was slated for launch but did not quite make it'

Agreed. However, i would rather them postpone content and later releasing a more finished product, then releaseing broken features. Many MMOs rush at release and braking their game in the process. Bioware was wise to hold back unfinished content.

Edited by Tycoon

Thanks for correcting me.

I've seen the developers talk about creating the Combat Log in a video but they said it's in the 'plans' and obviously not with March's update.

Does that mean I'm going to have to spend $60 before we see a combat log? What kind of BS is that? It's unacceptable as a paying customer. It's not like I bought the box and that's it; I'm still paying them to play the game.

100% agree with OP.

The first major patch since launch and it literally didn't have ANY of the stuff this game needs in order to survive. If they seriously think target of target is ALT+T then.. yeah.. good luck with SWTOR, hehe.

I'll check in again in March when 1.2 is supposed to come out to see if it's worth subbing.

Yeah, I think you have a very overinflated opinion of your ability to judge what this game needs. Goodbye and goodluck.

TLDR:

This patch does not make the game into something more like WoW. So I'm canceling to go back and play my Night Elf Huntard.

Probably more like this;

TL;DR:

"The game isn't what I want it to be and the Devs aren't listening to me in making it what I want it to be, so the game's going to die!"

I've seen the developers talk about creating the Combat Log in a video but they said it's in the 'plans' and obviously not with March's update.

Does that mean I'm going to have to spend $60 before we see a combat log? What kind of BS is that? It's unacceptable as a paying customer. It's not like I bought the box and that's it; I'm still paying them to play the game.

It was stated well before launch there was no combat log and while it might arrive at some point, no date was given so why did you buy the game if that was such an issue for you? Sounds like PEBKAC to me.

Edited by MrTijger

What!?! So you know what is in future expansions before Bioware has annouced anything?

Your not going to be spending 60 bucks for combat log. I cant imagine anyone every doing that.

Edited by Tycoon

What kind of developer centers an MMO around the class quest aspect of the game hence turning it into a weird SP-MP hybrid that caters to the most casuals of casuals?

The one who realizes that "the most casual of casuals" are not the worthless and meaningless trash to vent your hardcore gamer frustration on, but paying customers who happen to be the majority, and who happen to enjoy the cutscenes every time they see them.

Flame on. I'm done.

The amount of class specific skill tree revamps as well as class specific quest tweaking you can find in the most casual MMO in history (World of Warcraft) would suggest at least one developer cetners an MMO around the class quest and casual play aspect of its game.

It wasnt till much later did WoW introduced duel-spec. This patch was surprising. The game will be barely a month old when this patch releases, and they are already adding new content? I have never seen this in a MMO launch, and i have been part alot of em.

Look at WoW's 1.1 patch notes they released 2 new raids.

Same with Rift's 1.1 patch.

So, asking for the most basic MMO functionality makes me a WoW fanboy now? Hm, interesting rationale there fanboys and apologetics.

Keep going though, I'm having a good laugh.

Most basic functionality in MMO is;

Working UI: Check

Stable servers: Check

There you go, that's the most basic functionality for MMOs, the rest is really cosmetic and additional fluff.

SWG was uber in its hay day, right around the time JTL xpac came out. SOOO many things you could just 'do' in that game without running back and forth from questgivers. Oh and did I mention they had Xwings and Tie fighters you could actually you know...pilot.

And yet the game was dying, dying so much they tried CPR (NGE) which also failed.