Laptop able to play SW:Tor

Jorfar

(I apologize for any bad english and the possebility of posting this in the wrong sector of the forum)

Hello, i am currently looking to buy myself a new laptop to bring around when i can't use my normal computer.

As i really like SW:Tor i would also like it to be able to play the game, without to much lag.

I would prefer the laptop to not exceed 550euro.

Currently i am considering buying the Acer Aspire 7750 17,3" HD+. However i am not the best when looking at computer specs and stuff like that, so i wondered if there were any here on the forum with that knowledge to help me choose a suitable laptop to play sw:tor on.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Jorfar

That laptop won't play SWTOR I fear. I have a slightly better laptop with a mobility ati video card in it, and it BARELY plays the game on everything low. PvP and crowded area's give me very low fps (like 10~15) and only less crowded area's are okay.

The cheapest laptop I could find with a quick search that MIGHT play the game is the Acer Aspire 7551G, which costs around 550 euro's

Really, I seriously doubt you can get a laptop that can properly run SWTOR for under 600 euro's, and to play it safe I'd say you'd need to even look in the 700+ range. A laptop for 550 just...won't cut it.

Edited by Sanquind

First thing you;re going to need to do is double/triple your budget.

550 euros (about 440 GBP) wont even get you a half decent netbook, never mind a gaming rig.

Hell for that price you'd struggle to build a decent desktop to play it.

Edited by jedip_enguin

you are not going to get anywhere near a decent gaming laptop for that low of a budget. A decent gaming laptop will cost 2 to 3 times more than a decent desktop. You can build a desktop from 500 to 800 and have it run most games. Gaming laptops are a niche product so along with that comes a price hike. You will need to look at spending atleast 1500 plus to get a decent one if you want to go the laptop route.

that is a pretty good deal for a decent gaming laptop. yeah op you will not get much better than this for the price to do what you want it to do.

Thanks for the constructive feedbacks.

i see that i've been way to optimistic about the price range. And as i do have the possibility to increase my budget i will probobly need to do so.

Afte reading the replys i figgured i could increase my bugdet to around 1000euro after my next sallary gets in. :)

Would be great with more ideas of laptops in the range of 550-1000 euro,

thanks in advance.

Edited by Jorfar

People saying that you need to spend 1100+ don't have any experience with gaming on laptops I think. Like I said, my laptop runs the game. Just very very barely. And I paid 700 euro's for it 2 years ago. The poster above gave one of 749 dollars, which would be like 630~650 euro's? That's probably about the lowest price you can get for a laptop that runs swtor decently.

For a price of 1000 max, you could get a Asus N53SV-SZ016V. It's just about 1000 euro's.

intel i7 at 2GHz

6GB RAM

GeForce GT 540M (nvidia card is important, as nvidia generally runs the game better than ati)

With that you should be able to play it.

Btw, is it really a MUST that it is a laptop? As for around 1000 euro's you can put together a much better PC that will definitely run the game. With laptops it's always partially guess work as they have poorer performance with seemingly the same specs as a pc, and a pc is cheaper.

Btw, is it really a MUST that it is a laptop? As for around 1000 euro's you can put together a much better PC that will definitely run the game. With laptops it's always partially guess work as they have poorer performance with seemingly the same specs as a pc, and a pc is cheaper.

The OP explained that he wanted something portable when he WAS NOT playing on his desktop...

I suggest you check the graphic cards from site like this one, or google for other mobile graphic card charts.

The mobile graphic cards are very shady in terms of their branding and numbering. They cannot be compared to desktop graphic cards, so you need to make sure it has good benchmarks if you want to run games.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

For example, for that laptop you linked in newegg, it holds Nvidia GT 540M, which is midrange mobile graphic card.

It is benchmarked and based on 400 architecture of nvidia graphic cards.

"The performance of the 540M lies between the Radeon HD 5650 and 5730 in our first benchmarks. Therefore, the 540M is about 10% faster than the GT435M using DDR3 graphics memory. Using GDDR5 it may be as fast as the HD 5750 / 5770. "

Edited by Rethan

I suggest you check the graphic cards from site like this one, or google for other mobile graphic card charts.

The mobile graphic cards are very shady in terms of their branding and numbering. They cannot be compared to desktop graphic cards, so you need to make sure it has good benchmarks if you want to run games.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

I already checked for him, the nVidia 540M GT is an adequate card for SWTOR.

I have a one year old lappy it's made by HP, I can run SWTOR on max and have decent framerate. These days the lappy is about 650-800 euros, it might be even cheaper, the only thing I had to change in it was the 4gigs of ram to 8gigs of ram.

If you are serious about getting a decent lappy always check the how good the the videocard is and how much ram does it support last the CPU and what comes to the maker of the lappys insides may it be intel/nvidia or amd it's matter of a personal taste.

my current laptop (A Toshiba Satellite) is capable of running this game. The framerate lag is horrible but it works (ok the fps is caused by the crappy intel graphics card. now if only I could take the graphic card off my now dead laptop and put it in this laptop, I would be able to play this game...

PS: By graphic card I mean graphic chips since in laptops, it's all integrated in the Motherboard anyway.

My Alienware M11x R1 runs the game pretty well on Mid/High settings, albeit with no AA/AF and zero shadows.

I have an m11x r1 too!

It's amazing how well it can run games considering the size and I got it for a good price.

The newest model is a little pricey though.

• 1 month later...
Ok, so i just got a laptop for 549 dollars (american) and it runs the game on normal setting fantasticly, 0 lag, it's a lenovo v757 i believe, i got it at newegg.com, so there are absolutly extremely cheap options, you just need to make sure that the laptop you are looking at has a dedicated video card, or dedicated video memory, at least 1g, mine has the raidion hd 6650m graphix card, but a nvidia 540m 525m 550m, 630m or anything higher than that, avoid the 610m, and anything lower than the 6470m for the ati cards, and you should be great, good luck