Can a dev explain to me why more than 1 captial letter can't be used in Legacy?

daytimeninja

So I recently unlocked my Legacy. I had finally settled on making mine "The McQuarrie Legacy" as an homage to the great Star Wars artist Ralph McQuarrie. I enter it in correctly only to find out that it shows up as "The Mcquarrie Legacy". So now I'm running around looking like I can't grasp basic English.

IMO this is a HUGE issue by the team and is somewhat ridiculous. What kind of surname doesn't allow for more than one capital letter? I was extremely excited about parading my Legacy name around multiple characters on my server, but now I just plan on hiding it until a fix comes along (Hopefully in March with the big Legacy update.)

Now I have always been with the group that supports the game, and I'm not bashing the devteam. I've stood up for everything minutely wrong since launch because I have true faith in the game, Bioware and Star Wars as a whole, but now I'm wondering if Bioware should have waited until March to start the Legacy system after they work out the kinks.

I enter it in correctly only to find out that it shows up as "The Mcquarrie Legacy". So now I'm running around looking like I can't grasp basic English.

No one is going to question your grasp of basic english because of this. People are going to read it and say...

"The Mcquarry Legacy"

... and it won't be a big deal. Because they will know it doesn't allow multiple capital letters. Which is fine, because we don't want what the above poster demonstrated.

Edited by Cavi

While it may seem straight forward, as others have mentioned, past abuse of mixed-case words -- whether purposeful or not, have led the policies limiting their use. Any coder worth his or her salt will give examples where you can have a sentence look one way but say another.

It's a feature, not a bug 8)

I'm sure that there's a simple solution to allow certain exceptions. I highly doubt it would be impossible to allow such things as "McXxxx" or "MacXxxx" to be allowed.

Or the least they could've done was state better rules on the Legacy screen.

Edited by daytimeninja

No one is going to question your grasp of basic english because of this. People are going to read it and say...

"The Mcquarry Legacy"

... and it won't be a big deal. Because they will know it doesn't allow multiple capital letters. Which is fine, because we don't want what the above poster demonstrated.

It's not a matter of the pronunciation. It's meant to be a direct representation of someone's last name, which is spelled McQuarrie, not Mcquarrie.

So yes, it is a big deal.

It's not a matter of the pronunciation. It's meant to be a direct representation of someone's last name, which is spelled McQuarrie, not Mcquarrie.

Saw your post elsewhere on the interwebz ;)

I don't know, I mean I could sit here and say "but those are both spelled the same", which they are, but I know what you're getting at. It's more the aesthetics than anything. I do understand, but as a fellow Star Wars buff I know full well what you're trying to represent, and don't really hold any contempt for the lack of a capital 'q'.

They haven't even fully implemented this feature yet, so who knows? When they decide to flesh this out more maybe you'll get your wish :)

Saw your post elsewhere on the interwebz ;)

I don't know, I mean I could sit here and say "but those are both spelled the same", which they are, but I know what you're getting at. It's more the aesthetics than anything. I do understand, but as a fellow Star Wars buff I know full well what you're trying to represent, and don't really hold any contempt for the lack of a capital 'q'.

They haven't even fully implemented this feature yet, so who knows? When they decide to flesh this out more maybe you'll get your wish :)

You mean the real SWTOR community? :rolleyes:

Let's hope. For now I'm keeping it hidden, but let's hope there's a fix, ASAP!

I understand your pain. I wanted (when I finally get there!) to have a legacy name which was D'XXXX (as in the french De which is converted to D' when put before a vowel) so I wont be able to have that now.

However, no matter how you spin it it is NOT A BIG DEAL.

Its a minor annoyance.

Awesome, I didn't even notice this until the OP mentioned it. Went into game and looked at it and sure enough they change my V to lowercase. The name I've used for my character for over a decade is now ruined. Mcveer just looks completely stupid. A pop-up saying that a second one isn't allowed would have been better than just changing it on me. Never have a seen a game where a name has been restricted like this.

Just do it how you are supposed to do names. Put out rules and if people don't follow them then they are subject to disciplinary action. This name rule needs to change immediately with the ability for me to go back and change my name.

BeCaUsE oF tHiNgS lIkE tHiS

Who cares? It's someone's personalization it's not yours. It's like hating gay people cause you don't like how they look. That point of view is offensive and none of your business.

The same applies to this.

Who cares? It's someone's personalization it's not yours. It's like hating gay people cause you don't like how they look. That point of view is offensive and none of your business.

The same applies to this.

Wow, that was a hell of a stretch. I'll give you a /golfclap for trying to troll this thread in a new direction.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.