pop a trinket?

FourTwent

In World of Warcraft, unless you were of the human race, the only way to break out of CC was a special PvP trinket on a 2 minute(?) cooldown. In SWTOR, however, every class is given a skill that breaks CC with a similarly long cooldown. Since each skill is named differently for different classes, and most MMO players are familiar with WoW terminology, we say "pop your trinket" and apparently expect everyone to know that means use your CC break.

In short, no, there is no such relic, and when people refer to a CC breaking trinket they mean that skill.

or people should just stop using other games terminology in new games

i cant play a day without hearing about wow in /gen

i cant visit the forums without seeing wow in every thread

people think they are cool by name dropping wow, its annoying as ****

What do you expect ? Probably more then 75% of the SWTOR community used to play or are currently playing WOW... It's the benchmark that Bioware has to reach.

Also, SWTOR's "trinket" ability is pretty much a copy paste of WOW's so it's not surprising it sticks. I wouldn't be surprised if the term sticks for other MMOs in the future too.

Maybe focus more on learning the terminology the players use rather than focusing on how insulting it is to use a "WOW" term in SWTOR...

i played wow for years

i dont feel the need to compare everything in this game to that

i dont feel the need to completely rename tools and abilities in this game with similar abilities from that game

for people who are new to mmos and choose to play swtor, *** should they learn the terminology from a different game in order to understand what is being talked about all the time?

maybe YOU should accept the fact that this ISNT wow and stop trying to make it WOW

So no one should use the terms hit points, experience points (XP), Crowd Control (CC), DPS, tanking, buffing/debuffing, LFG, or nerf?

There is 1 term that has been brought over from WoW specifically as a label for something that has no consistent label. It's just another addition to the gamer's lexicon who's origins will eventually be forgotten by 90%+ of people using the term.

I didn't play WoW, but a lot of current TOR players have, and they're going to use terminology that's familiar to them, 99% of which the WoW community took from previous games like EQ and DAoC. Yes, there is going to be some confusion for the uninitiated regarding colloquial expressions, but it is easy enough to educate them and move on.

i played wow for years

i dont feel the need to compare everything in this game to that

i dont feel the need to completely rename tools and abilities in this game with similar abilities from that game

for people who are new to mmos and choose to play swtor, *** should they learn the terminology from a different game in order to understand what is being talked about all the time?

maybe YOU should accept the fact that this ISNT wow and stop trying to make it WOW

Since WoW was the first successful MMO of course people are gonna compare and use lingo from it. I think a lot of it is habit.

So no one should use the terms hit points, experience points (XP), Crowd Control (CC), DPS, tanking, buffing/debuffing, LFG, or nerf?

those terms are universal for all games and have been around since long before wow.

"popping a trinket" is a very specific wow term and using it does nothing but cause confusion, like this thread

those terms are universal for all games and have been around since long before wow.

"popping a trinket" is a very specific wow term and using it does nothing but cause confusion, like this thread

Because it is new. Every one of the expressions that I cited was carried over from a previous game, and they cumulatively expanded the accepted lexicon when dealing with gaming. They all were introduced separately, and are accepted because people are familiar with the terms, even if they're not familiar with the games that the terms originated in.

WoW terminology is cemented within the MMO lexicon by this point. Complaining about it just shows your relative inexperience with MMOs.

Just like the term "PST" means "Please send tell." Whispers haven't been called tells in over a decade.

my "relative inexperience" with mmos spans over a dozen in the last 11.5 years with max level characters in several of them.

you cant have assumptions without an a55

his cited examples are general terms not tied to anything.

hit points?

experience points?

those terms have been used in games since before the internet

you dont call a homerun a touchdown just because millions of people are familiar with touchdowns referring to scoring in a game.

separate games

separate abilities

separate terms

trinkets do not exist in swtor

there is no popping of any trinkets in this game, period.

the obvious confusion it causes with players is proved by this thread. i have no idea why you would even defend it.

its just laziness.

WoW terminology is cemented within the MMO lexicon by this point. Complaining about it just shows your relative inexperience with MMOs.

Just like the term "PST" means "Please send tell." Whispers haven't been called tells in over a decade.

your relative inexperience with mmos is shown by the fact that daoc used /tell <player>

WaR also used /t or /w

see what i did there?

my "relative inexperience" with mmos spans over a dozen in the last 11.5 years with max level characters in several of them.

you cant have assumptions without an a55

his cited examples are general terms not tied to anything.

hit points?

experience points?

those terms have been used in games since before the internet

you dont call a homerun a touchdown just because millions of people are familiar with touchdowns referring to scoring in a game.

separate games

separate abilities

separate terms

trinkets do not exist in swtor

there is no popping of any trinkets in this game, period.

the obvious confusion it causes with players is proved by this thread. i have no idea why you would even defend it.

its just laziness.

A relic is a trinket. Same two character slots. Same on-use abilities. Same thing.

your relative inexperience with mmos is shown by the fact that daoc used /tell <player>

WaR also used /t or /w

see what i did there?

DAOC is...how old? Oh right. That's what I said.

Warhammer allowed /t but they were still called whispers by the game. Again - because the lexicon was so ingrained into the community they built it into their game.

WoW is popular enough to have done the same.

Add to it that the TOR CC breaker ability is basically a blatant copy of the WoW trinket and it's no surprise people are referring to it as such.

Edited by EternalFinality

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.