Population 1

Artarist

So this is my first post here, I'm level 46 as of this post. Enjoying the game so far. However, major concern.....

I'm on Hoth right now and I am the only republic player on the planet....

This has me seriously worried, if I play past the 30 free days ...and I going to be int he best made prettiest ghost town around?

Why the heck are people leaving? I don't see anything game breaking.

Oh...look Hoth now has 2 people...

So this is my first post here, I'm level 46 as of this post. Enjoying the game so far. However, major concern.....

This has me seriously worried, if I play past the 30 free days ...and I going to be int he best made prettiest ghost town around?

Well traditionally speaking population are always pretty screwed up right after launch. There is just no way for the developer to properly predict how many of the initial buyers will still be playing in a month and how many will be picked over the course of the first few months. Its all a crap shoot. Just to give you an example last night I was on Kass and their was so many players on my server their that I couldnt complete my quests because the spawns where killed so bloody fast.

Most of these population issues will work themselves out, those that don't will be worked on by Bioware through server consolidations.

But the point is, whats taking place in this game. The whinning on the forums, unscriber threats, economy being out of whack and population issues is all standard stuff that happens with a new mmo. I've never seen it go down any other way.

My girl has the same issue on her server. She plays on a server that was started the 20th of dec and leveled quite fast (like you did).

She has an alt now and is in well populate areas with that toon who is now lvll 26. I believe you are just ahead of your server.

I do dislike how quiet the planets are. I don't know if that is purely down to sharding or what. I prefer to level and feel like there are a reasonable number of others playing the game.

I am hoping they will remove sharding and things will improve or they simply start merging some servers so we can have some decent populations to play with.

I play on the shadowlands east coast PVE.....there were upwards of an hour queues and multiple maps spawned a week ago....now at login the server is standard all the time.

Hoth is back down to 1 person....

When I hit level 50...is there going to be anything all for me to do?

Cause im already having trouble finding people.....

sigh....i was really hopeing this was going to be good....and the game seems good...so why is everyone leaving?....

I'd love to play ...but if i wanted to playt alone i should have bought skyrim

The majority of players are not yet at that zone. Don't worry in time people will catch up. I recommend spending a few days playing another character if you want more people in your zone.

Welcome to sharding, where players don't see other players, and players must change instances to play together. Yeah, I'm sick of it too. You're not alone OP.

I don't think you understand what the OP is saying.

The population in a zone includes all people in the zone not just your one instance. Also if their are so few people, in a zone, their would be no "sharding."

I play on the shadowlands east coast PVE.....there were upwards of an hour queues and multiple maps spawned a week ago....now at login the server is standard all the time.

sigh....i was really hopeing this was going to be good....and the game seems good...so why is everyone leaving?....

Don't worry. Even if there were more people you wouldn't see them - that's what the retarded instancing has done. However, the game is flawed.

If they got rid of instancing, the blatant entirety of how tiny the worlds are would come to light.

The majority of players are not yet at that zone. Don't worry in time people will catch up. I recommend spending a few days playing another character if you want more people in your zone.

I don't think you understand what the OP is saying.

The population in a zone includes all people in the zone not just your one instance. Also if their are so few people, in a zone, their would be no "sharding."

Yeah my main char is now in the late 30s and the planets we are on have such pitiful populations there is no sharding.

I also agree with the other poster who said their server population is never more than standard.

Your just starting to notice the populatin drops, serves went from packed hard to get into servers all over to almost all empty ones now. But they lead us to believe people are not generally unsubscribing and most people don't experiance any sluggish game play at all. But that's a crock of .... .People are leaving in droves

Edited by Wardword

The thing is wonder why. I am a level 46 jedi shadow, and honeslty I don't thinkt he game is bad. It's quite good. Stories are good combat is good.....

So what seems to be the reason people are shedding ?.....I mean...if I quite at this points its only cause im like spock on an ice planet.....quite alone..

I noticed the lack of players in later planets as well but it's mostly because of the fact that people are trying different characters and not capping to 50 yet. For example many people in my guild have 3-4 20-30 level characters. You can just do /who 50 and see how many 50's your server has online, mine has around 80-90 on peak times now and we're "Heavy" on the server status. Also people are playing less after the first hype has cooled down, counting myself even though I still enjoy the game and just got a 90day subscription up from a 30-day one. So don't let the numbers fool you or make you leave the game.

That's why people shouldn't knee-jerk react by moving to a non-full server on the first week of release.

Look at Rift. Several months after release, servers that were high/med pop became ghost towns and players complain of the difficulty in forming groups. I'm in Harbinger right now, and although in the first week queues were extremely long, now there's hardly anymore queue. Server is also bustling at all times due to NA and Oceania players' contrasting playtimes.

Hopefully people who moved to a less pop server won't regret their decision several months later. I can already imagine them asking Bioware for server transfers just like Rift players did.

Edited by aivedoir

The thing is wonder why. I am a level 46 jedi shadow, and honeslty I don't thinkt he game is bad. It's quite good. Stories are good combat is good.....

So what seems to be the reason people are shedding ?.....I mean...if I quite at this points its only cause im like spock on an ice planet.....quite alone..

People are leaving because of ability delay, it causes the game to feel sluggish and slow, the warzone FPS issues that are popping up on even the most powerful systems, and the overall been there, done that in another MMO feel. Until they add something truly new SW:TOR is going to have it's dedicated players, and the average Joes are going to go back to WoW, leaving TOR basically stagnant.

From what I've seen in past MMOs, you level as a group. Not necessarily doing quests as a group, but I think it's safe to say that the MMO community at large covers a similar amount of ground when an MMO launches.

Think of it like a graduating class in school. You'll be moving through the leveling process with the same people that started around the same time you did.

That's why people shouldn't knee-jerk react by moving to a non-full server on the first week of release.

Look at Rift. Several months after release, servers that were high/med pop became ghost towns and players complain of the difficulty in forming groups. I'm in Harbinger right now, and although in the first week queues were extremely long, now there's hardly anymore queue. Server is also bustling at all times due to NA and Oceania players' contrasting playtimes.

Hopefully people who moved to a less pop server won't regret their decision several months later. I can already imagine them asking Bioware for server transfers just like Rift players did.

It's in BW's interest to balance server populations. I've played plenty of other games where the busy servers or several dead servers are offered free transfers to improve game play for all. It's common sense.

Go to the fleet and look how many players are looking for groups. Go do some Warzones, look at how many level 50 players there in there.

Your problem is you were short of the main 50 surge, yet too far ahead of the rest.

Because creating an MMO based on the Star Wars franchise necessarily required a product that offered the best opportunity for all types of players to lose themselves in an expansive virtual world. It required polished game play, rich RP elements and some innovation to break people from the WoW routine. I don't think this game has done any of those things well. Kudos for the V.O. and story lines, but boo-hiss to almost everything else.

Did you play on a light server during the 20th launch to avoid long queues? Its pretty much a mistake to pick light server during launch to avoid queues because they become empty later on.

The trick when playing new mmorpg, pick a heavy server! A week worth of queue is better than lifetime of ghost towns. Samething happened to all the mmorpgs .. except for one mmorpg which was still adding servers months after launch.

Did you play on a light server during the 20th launch to avoid long queues? Its pretty much a mistake to pick light server during launch to avoid queues because they become empty later on.

The trick when playing new mmorpg, pick a heavy server! A week worth of queue is better than lifetime of ghost towns. Samething happened to all the mmorpgs .. except for one mmorpg which was still adding servers months after launch.

True, but indeed the sharding system must be eliminated asap. Very bad design choice imho.

Edited by Cioffaz

The Shadowlands PVE East Coast server.....queue was about an hour when I first started playing December 16th.

I started on opening day. I just reached 32 last night. If Hoth is a ghost town it might simply be that most players are not at that level.

Welcome to sharding, where players don't see other players, and players must change instances to play together. Yeah, I'm sick of it too. You're not alone OP.

They do not "shard" at population of 1. They do start splitting the population into another phase after ONE HUNDRED.

He did not chime in saying he only say 100 players. He said 1. Odds are there are not 100 players each on their only "shard".

its the sharding , I know how you feel.

But hey look on the bright side you dont have to compete with others killing mobs you may need for a quest......isnt the tradeoff worth it? :::DDD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.