I really really hope...

Vis_Vires

They do something with player housing. And I hope its ship-based, not land based. Or both.

Having your own ship is cool, although, at the moment its kinda pointless aside from the less-than-impressive-but-a-fun-addon space combat. What sucks is the fact that at the moment your ship is completley uncustomisable, and exactly the same as every other player of your class in every server.

I hope they change the way your ship works, essentially:

- You have your starting ship, but are able to buy new improved ships for credits/commendations/something new. The starting ship should be class dependant, but all other ships should be available to other classes.

- Hardpoints in ships become visible outside, so there is a visible difference between 2 people with the same ship, but different equipment on it.

- Paint jobs/skins/etc to further make ships look more unique.

- Customisation options on the inside. Just for fun. Droids, pets, holodancers, jukeboxes etc.

On the imperial fleet in the hanger bay (ideally one bay for all classes, but maybe difficult to do due to quests etc) you would enter a phased/instanced zone with your ship and a number of other players ship, allowing you to look at other players ships, or enter if allowed by the player.

Guilds would operate in a similar fashion, but with capital ships in orbit with the fleet. You would have the option of docking with the fleet as is, or the "guild fleet" which would use the (vastyly improved) space combat HUD to free fly around (again an instanced) slection of guild capital ships. Guilds would essentially have the same options as single players in respect of ship choices, customisations etc. Players could then dock with guild capital ships and have a look around etc.

It would be good from a community/RP/bragging rights point of view, but also if space combat did at somepoint get a big re-work, then you could have pvp space combat, where having a better ship with better equipments obviously yields and advantage.

And even at a push, guild v guild space combat on capital ships, with each player on the guild capital ship equipping a turret or something.

Just some ideas, will be intresting to see how things go down this route.

Highly unlikely.

Guild Ships are on the list, but they're way down it from what I understand.

Probably. I'd hate to see player housing turn out to be, buy a house, pay a sub and nothing more. And the fact that you know every player has the same ship as you just kinda takes the shine off having your own ship...

Probably. I'd hate to see player housing turn out to be, buy a house, pay a sub and nothing more. And the fact that you know every player has the same ship as you just kinda takes the shine off having your own ship...

Nah, its *your* ship. ;)

If you went and bought a black corvette, would it be a big deal if there were a bunch of other black corvettes? For me, no. This one's special because its mine. ;)

As much as I hate to say it, in a game without chat bubbles, the ability to sit and wonky RP mechanics such as the legacy surname, I doubt it's a priority--though we can dream.

But has anyone stopped to think how outrageous it is that a "modern" MMO with this many resources doesn't have some form of housing in the major cities. I remember back in 2008, everybody was so excited about their housing on Coruscant. Some speculated it would be instanced in various apartment buildings around town. Some imagined you had an option of planet you could live on. Now... you just have to laugh.

The player housing in LOTRO was quite good in terms of being able to paint it and place trophies from bosses and things.

Not that I'm suggesting we be able to paint the walls of our ships.

why not? my sith warrior would love to smack the droid up the head for repainting it the same colour all the time... (I also wonder about that 'meal plan' because I've yet to see a kitchen in my ship... :D)

The player housing in LOTRO was quite good in terms of being able to paint it and place trophies from bosses and things.

Not that I'm suggesting we be able to paint the walls of our ships.

I really enjoyed spending hours fixing up my Freeport apartment in EQ2--oh and those poor cats running around everywhere--but wow was it fun. And I'm not your traditional RP/Social player. Developers who don't implement social diversion are shooting themselves in the foot. Why? Well do you want your players spending their freetime in Minecraft, or in your game tinkering with their housing. When it comes time to resub, you are much more likely to keep paying when you've invested in more than just some epic gear.

Edited by Traumahawk

I also liked the LOTRO housing. I don't normally get into all that stuff, but for some reason I had fun buying things for the yard and getting that just right, then getting the walls and floors how I wanted them, then piling in all the furninshings and decorations.

Of course, I go to my house about once a month, but when I do go there, DAMN my place looks good.

As much as I hate to say it, in a game without chat bubbles, the ability to sit and wonky RP mechanics such as the legacy surname, I doubt it's a priority--though we can dream.

But has anyone stopped to think how outrageous it is that a "modern" MMO with this many resources doesn't have some form of housing in the major cities. I remember back in 2008, everybody was so excited about their housing on Coruscant. Some speculated it would be instanced in various apartment buildings around town. Some imagined you had an option of planet you could live on. Now... you just have to laugh.

Agreed, there are far more important things that need doing. I just seriously hope player housing, in one form or another, gets some love. For me, thats ships, but again, allot of that hangs on space combat/hanger improvements/changes.

If they didnt improve those things, then apartments in Coruscant FTW.

I also liked the LOTRO housing. I don't normally get into all that stuff, but for some reason I had fun buying things for the yard and getting that just right, then getting the walls and floors how I wanted them, then piling in all the furninshings and decorations.

Of course, I go to my house about once a month, but when I do go there, DAMN my place looks good.

I think we've all got a bit of Christopher Lowell in us. Thank god for internet anonymity. :rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.