Voice chat

Gannacus

Just from my experience, TeamSpeak is pretty horrible.

I highly recommend Mumble as an alternative to Vent. Everything is free and the quality seems better than Vent.

But since most people use Vent, it's a good idea to have it downloaded in case you're asked to join their server.

We use Mumble in our guild and its fantastic. Incredibly low-latency, much more secure with its certificate based authentication, and (at least in our case) very cheap ~$7 for 6 months.

Mumble here as well, and so far it works wonderfully.

OP, they have pretty much said they won't be adding voice chat to the game. Their stance is that many players already use Vent or Mumble, and they don't want to put resources into doing something that so many people won't even use. In other words, there are already programs dedicated to doing it well, so they won't bother.

There are two I would recommend to anyone:

GSC (mentioned above) and RaidCall

http://getgsc.com and http://www.raidcall.com

Both are free, and REMOTELY HOSTED. In case you don't understand the significance of that--when you set up any VOIP program, you have to connect to a server with the people you want to talk to. Ventrilo has a limited server for free, and Teamspeak/Mumbl both have free servers. But you still have to have SOMEONE host them, using their bandwidth, or pay a commercial site to host for you.

GSC & RaidCall have free, remotely hosted servers. Of the two I like RaidCall more than GSC, but both work great. GSC gives you a 200 person channel (which can be passworded, have subchannels, admins, etc) and RaidCall is free for 50 people. I find the channel administration on RaidCall to be more like Mumbl which is why we like it.

My guild uses Teamspeak 3 which works fine for our in-build communications but isnt useful at all for groups with non guildies.

I'm hoping they will have an integrated voice chat for the game at some point. I LOVE that feature in EQ2.