Companion Affection - Overhaul the whole system

Pappus

I cannot offer you big ideas here, but I can tell you that I grow tired of having to give my companions gifts over and over and over and over again to actually enjoy their story.

On my assassin I had Khem Val until I would get Ashara Zavros and even having Ashara Zavros all the time with me I would not reach maximum affection with her even when I went a bit out of my way to give answers she would like rather then some I would pick.

This really is unacceptable. Even when I would go with replayability, then as sorcerer I would probably end up with khem val on max but not the others - am I to play the same class 3-4 times or grind hero mission dailies to get it up?

This cannot be what you had in mind given how well you did it in Mass Effect where I was constantly under the impression the crew and I are working together, we are in for the long run and as you progressed you would learn more about them.

So now I am on my Sith Warrior and this time I thought I would do it massively differently. So I picked up diplomacy and I was sending companions out constantly and of course it drained my credits like madness to a point I cannot afford training all skills yet alone a higher speeder tier, but at least it feels somewhat cooler and the XP is really good.

However the gating process is just BAD. In case some people don't know it imagine you would start out with 10k affection on all of your companions, then they would give you all the quests back to back until you have reached the limit which is bound to your class quest.

Once you proceed with class quest the same thing would happen again. I understand gifting has to be there for PvP'ers, but it is not acceptable to be mandatory even for people that go through every heroic, every single mission on every planet.

The problem is, that you are never sure if you have hit a point with your companion where there will be no further quest until you proceed with your class quest so you run into that quest stacking after finishing some class quests pretty often. I assure you there where times where quest hubs would look pale to what was going on on my ship ;)

Of course you can't go ahead and rewrite how it works for what we have now, but when you plan to further the story consider doing it majorly different and embedd it stronger.

To get your companions to max affection little to no gifting should be required and for some decision you should know if your current decision will be a dealbreaker for e.g. romancing it. At a point with vette I was sure I would get a penalty on her affection, but I wouldn't think, that it would break the romance.

A good example of how I imagine it would be like on belsavis

where you can either take out the murderers or rebel leaders out of carbonite. The explanation how it will unfold is very good

The system as it is will lead to many people finishing up level 50 and having like 2 companions with any considerable amount of affection and that just has to go.

You're right, it's bad. I've had 3 Khem missions, no dialogues with anyone else since I ignored them, since I like using Khem and haven't been buying gifts. I thought of buying gifts industrially, to get cutscenes and missions from companions, but there's a "cooldown" on giving gifts. Well, that kills my desire to engage the content the game offered me, sort of.

With 8 classes it should be hurling this content at me, out of common sense. I'm not trolling, but it's overwhelmingly obvious Bioware has some questionably-brilliant people making huge design decisions on this game.

The problem is that the players hands are tied, you can just gain affection with one companion at a time outside those very rare holocall things on the ship.

Maybe a couple of more people will gather here and tell bioware, that the gifting is not only immersion breaking, but mind-boggling and puts you in a position where you have to pay credits for content.

Speaking of gaining companion affection through missions; in my experience there's a bit of a problem with this when you are in a group. I usually play with a friend which means we both have a companion with us.

This could be a coincidence, but I don't seem to ever get affection when I lose the conversation roll, but I have noticed that I do when I win (and pick the right option of course).

With light/dark side points you always get them regardless of if you win or not (fortunately) but is the same true for companion affection?

Maybe a couple of more people will gather here and tell bioware, that the gifting is not only immersion breaking, but mind-boggling and puts you in a position where you have to pay credits for content.

I have khem, ashara at full affection and xalek at about 9000 and didnt spend a dime on gifts, just gave them the ones that I found along the way. You just have to give them what they really like to maximize gains.

Also I guess im just use to the system of gift giving from previous Bioware titles cause it doesnt bother me.

Edited by faibre

Speaking of gaining companion affection through missions; in my experience there's a bit of a problem with this when you are in a group. I usually play with a friend which means we both have a companion with us.

This could be a coincidence, but I don't seem to ever get affection when I lose the conversation roll, but I have noticed that I do when I win (and pick the right option of course).

With light/dark side points you always get them regardless of if you win or not (fortunately) but is the same true for companion affection?

I find that you will only gain/lose alignment when you win the roll during convo. LS/DS point however is given regardless if you win the roll or not.

I have khem, ashara at full affection and xalek at about 9000 and didnt spend a dime on gifts, just gave them the ones that I found along the way. You just have to give them what they really like to maximize gains.

Also I guess im just use to the system of gift giving from previous Bioware titles cause it doesnt bother me.

I have yet to 'find' a single gift.

I have yet to 'find' a single gift.

You gain gift by running missions. We gain too much gift that we run out of bank space....

There are companion gift mission from UWT and Diplomacy, (not sure about TH and Investigation as they are on my brothers character)

There is something odd happening when grouped that is for sure, but I never took the time to actually really test it, however on lost conversation rolls I never had any indication, that companion affection was affected.

Same as you I was always grouped since starting planet with my friend and this is my observation aswell.

This is partially the reason why I hated Dragon Age 1 and made me not even bother about the second (what was the name of that character that would get -50 for each damn reply you gave?).

I love how they implemented it in Baldur's Gate 2 or Mass Effect 1,2 because you progress through choices/story instead of rep grinding, is everybody that shallow in this galaxy that you can call them "axeholes" and then a minute later shower them with gift and everything is better?

I have found few affection items in swtor so far, and waster almost all on them for the wrong characters, so now they reduced me at accumulating lots of gifts and just spamming in chat for which character they go for.

I do not personally mind giving an answer that is right for me and wrong for my companion, because it shows character, but I am now at level 40 and used only 1 companion who's got only 10% rep.

Edited by Black_Rabbit

This is partially the reason why I hated Dragon Age 1 and made me not even bother about the second (what was the name of that character that would get -50 for each damn reply you gave?).

I love how they implemented it in Baldur's Gate 2 or Mass Effect 1,2 because you progress through choices/story instead of rep grinding, is everybody that shallow in this galaxy that you can call them "axeholes" and then a minute later shower them with gift and everything is better?

I have found few affection items in swtor so far, and waster almost all on them for the wrong characters, so now they reduced me at accumulating lots of gifts and just spamming in chat for which character they go for.

I do not personally mind giving an answer that is right for me and wrong for my companion, because it shows character, but I am now at level 40 and used only 1 companion who's got only 10% rep.

ok maybe I am just tired but that was hard for me to read.

Anyway on topic, yes all mission skills have options to gather companion gifts. I personally love treasure hunting as you get small artifact pieces that you trade in for very high quality gifts for you companions that can give anywhere from 250-400 affection. Depending of course on your current level of affections with your companion (the higher the affection the less effective gifts become).

This system is not that difficult to utilize, but it does require time. my suggestion is this, dont' just sit an make them go out on missions. DO something during that time. Quest if not at max level, or PvP or do space combat. At 50, I send my every comp I can (5) out on TH mission to gather more artifact pieces and this is quite expensive. During that time I PvP and collect my PvP gear. when I am done with a WZ or two, I give out all my gifts and get my commendations in order. I get gear, Comp affection AND I am making money (even with the constant lvl 50 mission running).

Kem is maxed out right now and everyone else is over 4k and one is over 6k. I have only been 50 for like 4 days now btw, and MOST of my affection gain for my other characters was using this method. Not to mention intelligently using my comp gear gained through out the game.

ok maybe I am just tired but that was hard for me to read.

Anyway on topic, yes all mission skills have options to gather companion gifts. I personally love treasure hunting as you get small artifact pieces that you trade in for very high quality gifts for you companions that can give anywhere from 250-400 affection. Depending of course on your current level of affections with your companion (the higher the affection the less effective gifts become).

This system is not that difficult to utilize, but it does require time. my suggestion is this, dont' just sit an make them go out on missions. DO something during that time. Quest if not at max level, or PvP or do space combat. At 50, I send my every comp I can (5) out on TH mission to gather more artifact pieces and this is quite expensive. During that time I PvP and collect my PvP gear. when I am done with a WZ or two, I give out all my gifts and get my commendations in order. I get gear, Comp affection AND I am making money (even with the constant lvl 50 mission running).

Kem is maxed out right now and everyone else is over 4k and one is over 6k. I have only been 50 for like 4 days now btw, and MOST of my affection gain for my other characters was using this method. Not to mention intelligently using my comp gear gained through out the game.

Slicing is a mission skill and cannot gain companion gifts and after class story however you put it your journey is pretty much over for the moment so not much point to affection grind them. Except out of curiosity.

It isn't about being impossible to do I have them all maxed out except the last two (working on that) and money starts to rise either but it is just a rep grind, be it through careful selection of your answers or gifting. What you do is essentially the problem. You hit 50 without your companions being finished by a long shot and you have to grind their affection through 'not-so-thrilling' means

PRO TIP.

Pull out companions with low affection at the start of conversations. Use your good companion during the fighting parts. Use Low affection companion to finish quest.

PRO TIP.

Don't be a game designer. Patching up their obvious game design flaws with a horrid idea such as yours doesn't help the fact that it is terrible in the first place.

TIP: At level 50, you can do daily missions to get commendations at Belsavis. ALL of those missions can give affection.

That's how I've maxed out my affection with all of my comps on my Sorc.

for instance, Talos gets massive amounts from some of those missions because they involve the Imperial Reclamation Service. Andonikos gets about 54 - 81 points per mission. There's about 7 soloable missions in total. Not to mention the group ones.

And that's per day.

PRO TIP.

Pull out companions with low affection at the start of conversations. Use your good companion during the fighting parts. Use Low affection companion to finish quest.

You dont need to get the "low" companion out again at the hand-in time of the mission in order to get the affection you got for it during the previous dialogue.

For instance, on the dailies, I'd pull out Talos, select the right dialogue choices (which then shows the little portait and points). I'd then use Xalek for combat and then talk to the npc at the end and I'd get the Talos affection points.

Edited by Tarka

There's somemething very odd regarding the whole system. In example: With (IA) Kaliyo I get +15 on the basic convos as default, but with (Trooper) Forex I get +22 from the 'right' answers.

From what I've observed, later companions give more affection, most likely so you can "catch them up".

From what I've observed, later companions give more affection, most likely so you can "catch them up".

That is my understanding of it too. Xalek and Talos get bigger amounts of affection per dialogue choice (55 for Talos) than say, Andronikos (27) or Khem (10).

PRO TIP.

except for that fact that that is incredibly tedious...

• 1 month later...

Sending your people on missions is not free and you are not 'finding' anything except via missions that cost money.