Batman Morality

Agammamon

I've been thinking about the problems I have with the moral choices and whether they're LS/DS choices and it came to me that most of choices are scored not a good/evil axis but instead they're scored by whether you support established law and authority or not.

Its just like Batman - he sees nothing wrong with continuosly capturing escaped criminals who then escape and kill again. But he considers that to be good and moral simply because he's "supporting" the established power structure.

You get a lot of similar stuff here. Capture a guy who's a known killer working for the enemy - let him live and keep doing what he was doing, only this time for the Republic and that's a LS choice. Kill him and that's a DS choice. Let a petty criminal go to further an investigation and that's DS, turn him in an remove an informant and that's LS.

Light/dark also mean different things for different classes. For a Sith it's kill everyone and be as much of a **** as possible. For a Trooper it's get the mission done no matter what the cost. A sith is truly being dark and gets darkside, while a trooper is doing the wrong things for the right reasons.

Yes, *but* - it is possible to dispassionately decide that a person is too great a threat to be allowed to live or that someone may be of more use as an informant than in a jailcell.

Some of the darkside choices are explicitly emotional reactions. Others not so much.

I had the opportunity to expose a senator for illicit deals and receiving money from a criminal organization. She used this money to fund her campaign and used the power of her office to help rebuild Coruscant. Exposing her - the support the law as written choice - is LS. Helping her cover-up - the support the greater good choice - is DS. No emotion is involved, its just a matter of practicality.

Light/dark also mean different things for different classes. For a Sith it's kill everyone and be as much of a **** as possible. For a Trooper it's get the mission done no matter what the cost. A sith is truly being dark and gets darkside, while a trooper is doing the wrong things for the right reasons.

If you follow Garza's orders to the letter, you'll get a ton of ds points. Each and every order she gives out brings ds points if you obey them.

I found the BH had much better dark/light side than the SI or JK. The BH is just a standard guy being paid to do some pretty terrible things and when he goes bad it seems really bad because je shoots people in cold blood, kills people he doesn't have to and is only out for himself. The SI "shock him" option is the standard Dark Side choice and while ok to start with gets old fast.

Also, killing people is always wrong. That's why you get DS-points for that.

I killed an infamous war criminal on Taris --> ds points

I killed a rich guy who considered killing evocii to be a good way to relax, on Nal Hutta --> ds points

I hotwired a missle battery to shoot at imperial ships in orbit of Cademimu --> ds points

Apparently bringing justice and fighting against enemies are evil things.

Actually, killing him is the LS choice. Taking the bribe is the DS choice.

No. The LS choice is to fool him the hutts don't like his "hunting" and he soils his pants at pissing off the hutts, and leaves the planet...alive.

Edited by Chomag

Actually, killing him is the LS choice. Taking the bribe is the DS choice.

There's two opportunities for LS/DS points: When you decide whether or not to take the bribe, and, if you turn it down, when you decide to either kill him or let him go. The latter could potentially viewed as an arguable light side choice if it was clear that he would never be allowed on Hutta again.

But even then, you know that this is a guy who hunts sentients for sport, and if he can't do it on Hutta, he'll probably find some other hellhole to do it in. And, IIRC, his dialogue implies that he'll eventually come back to hunt Evocii after you're gone, so the choice is purely a matter of the life of one mass murderer versus those of dozens of innocents, and choosing to save the life of the murderer is about as darkside as it gets.

Edited by BerndBerndson

I killed an infamous war criminal on Taris --> ds points

I killed a rich guy who considered killing evocii to be a good way to relax, on Nal Hutta --> ds points

I hotwired a missle battery to shoot at imperial ships in orbit of Cademimu --> ds points

Intentional killing is ALWAYS wrong when safe imprisonment is an option

Intentional killing is ALWAYS wrong when safe imprisonment is an option

Except it's not a choice in these instances. The war criminal goes back to the empire and the rich guy goes home and maybe come back later.

I agree with your point but, unfortunately, capture and trial are not options present at all times.

Except it's not a choice in these instances. The war criminal goes back to the empire and the rich guy goes home and maybe come back later.

I agree with your point but, unfortunately, capture and trial are not options present at all times.

I can't remember a case where I have to choose between killing someone and letting them off scot-free

I'm sure that dude on hutta indeed had two 'opportunities' to get ls-points. first you decide not the kill him, then you decide to let him go (forgot if the dk-choice is again to kill him or hand him over to the hut)

either way 'light side' in this case simply means you figure out 'oh what the hell he will either do the right thing or the wrong thing'...

lot's of people seem to be making the mistake thinking light side = good, dark side = evil

Edited by amnie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.