Bonus Series

Razkien

I always do these as they give a ton of exp and commedations, that's like saying I won't bother with the side quests and just do the story, doesn't work in this game, you need to do side quests to level up for the main story quest.

By the time I finished with Tatooine, I was 4-5 levels over the missions in Alderaan. It got so mind numbingly boring that by the time I got to Balmorra, I only did the planet story questline and my class questline. My level was back to even with my missions by Hoth.

On my next character, I've skipped all heroics and bonus series. My level is staying much closer to my quests now. (Still doing side quests though.)

I stopped doing them after Balmorra since I started to severely outlevel the content. I'm now on Taris, my level is 35 and quests are level 33. But until now I did most Heroics, all Flashpoints and a bit of PVP. It's a bit sad since I would prefer to see everything, but I don't like supereasy mode either. Also I find most rewards are rather useless if they are 5 levels below yours (also from commendations). So I decided to skip some missions and get the nice stuff instead ;-)

Only problem is that I probably missed some orange rewards :-(

Edited by Ogodei

The only thing that is "necessary" is to do the class missions.

You will want to get more XP than just what the class missions provide, but those can come from any source.

You could do space missions or PvP or just grind random mobs and/or side-missions until you hit the level where you are ready to move on to the next planet or where you are comfortable with your next class mission.

No planetary mission arcs are required, bonus series or the basic series.

As to whether it is 'worth it', that is subjective.

I consider it to be 'worth it' if I had fun playing through it. I can not say if that is your standard, nor can I say whether you will enjoy something or not.

They usually provide around a full level of XP (with the additional quests that you pick up from the quest hubs), so are nice for those stages when you are a little behind your next planet.

I'm on my third char right now and each time after Alderaan and Taris (Imperial) I'm a level behind the next planet's level bracket.

I look at them as a nice choice for alt characters.

Every game has zones/planets/areas that as an individual you just don't enjoy and ones you absolutely love. The bonus missions give you the opportunity to do more where you enjoy it and consequently less where you don't once you have a feel for the systems and areas as a whole.

Know you hate the next planet in line? No problem, do the bonus series from the worlds before and skip the sidequests on your hated world to get out of there fast.

They usually provide around a full level of XP (with the additional quests that you pick up from the quest hubs), so are nice for those stages when you are a little behind your next planet.

I'm on my third char right now and each time after Alderaan and Taris (Imperial) I'm a level behind the next planet's level bracket.

How to people manage to fall BEHIND levels anyway? Do nothing but the class quest?

How to people manage to fall BEHIND levels anyway? Do nothing but the class quest?

On my current character (smuggler) By the time I got to Taris I was 4-5 levels too high for the missions, I ran through my class story and moved on to Nar Shaddaa, I was a little above level for those so I again did my story line and moved on to Tattooine. I dont understand how people fall behind myself. Levels are too easy to get.

Not at all, I do every quest I pass. Granted this time around I was playing solo so didn't haven't done much heroics, and have not done any PvP on my Marauder at all.

On my first char, my Sorc, when I did Heroics/PvP I tended to get a little ahead XP wise, but without that there generally isn't enough quest XP to get you all the way through the recommended level bracket of each planet.

Not at all, I do every quest I pass. Granted this time around I was playing solo so didn't haven't done much heroics, and have not done any PvP on my Marauder at all.

On my first char, my Sorc, when I did Heroics/PvP I tended to get a little ahead XP wise, but without that there generally isn't enough quest XP to get you all the way through the recommended level bracket of each planet.

You're missing quests if that's been your experience. On my Sorcerer I've always been 2-3 levels again on a planet, my quests were always green or 1 level from going green, all the way till Voss where I caught up to my level but I found out later that I accidentally skipped the Alderaan bonus series so that's why. Oh and I haven't done any FPs, no PvP and 1 space mission. I only did Heroics when I could easily find a group for them.

Edited by Dasffion

I've been doing every single quest that is available on each planet, while my first character was ahead (with space missions, pvp, more heroics and a few flashpoints), by just questing Alderaan and Taris left me slightly behind, the bonus series (Nar Shaddaa and Taris) filled the gap.

Is it worth going out of your way to do these? Any in particular that are "necessary" to do?

Didn't do them on my first toon and I find myself now grinding through later content. On my alt I did do them, not only do I out-level most of the quests I run into, i am very-well geared with only doing one flashpoint every 5-6 levels or so. Makes things go much smoother in my opinion.

I've been doing every single quest that is available on each planet, while my first character was ahead (with space missions, pvp, more heroics and a few flashpoints), by just questing Alderaan and Taris left me slightly behind, the bonus series (Nar Shaddaa and Taris) filled the gap.

You have to be missing quests somewhere. My Republic characters (both Tython and Ord Mantell starters) are a full 4 levels ahead of the planets quest progression from Coruscant all the way to Nar Shaddaa (Taris in between). None of them have done PVP warzones or space battles but they did all heroics. It slowed down once they hit 30s however. I've noticed a faster slow down form the Imperial side.

Edited by PellonSW

You have to be missing quests somewhere. My Republic characters (both Tython and Ord Mantell starters) are a full 4 levels ahead of the planets quest progression from Coruscant all the way to Nar Shaddaa (Taris in between). None of them have done PVP warzones or space battles but they did all heroics. It slowed down once they hit 30s however. I've noticed a faster slow down form the Imperial side.

My Jedi Sage was only low 30s, but I noticed the quest hubs seemed to match the levels a little more for Republic. I've not gone any higher in Rep so couldn't comment, but for Imperial, Alderaan (without doing the Nar Shaddaa bonus series after it) gives just over 3 levels, same with Taris.

Edited by Soazak

Just started on Alderaan, my 5th planet at level 32 several levels over. I have made the point to do every quest because it adds more background to the story line. Also I have reached level 3 in dark side points and over 5000 companion points. I may be several levels over some of the quest, but it helps to solo 2 man heroics when I can’t find or don’t have the time to wait for someone to join.

If you view doing the quest as grinding progression then being over the level can get boring.

If you view the quest as part of the story line, then level makes no difference. The game to me is about the story, and at least for me that is where I get my enjoyment. Also I get more credits/accommodations and gear from all the side missions, I vendor all the drops other than the blue/orange that I can use. The side quest also gives me the option to raise gathering skills from the extra content. No problems paying for new skills or repairs.

You can see there are a lot of benefits to doing side quest and not racing to 50.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.