PC Gamer article slams bioware denial of FPS issue.

Wardword

It is not "low end computers."

I have a 7-week old top of the line computer, a solid state drive, 16gb of RAM, a 100MBPS cable modem connection and STILL 25% system utilization, major lag, ability lag and system choppiness, especially on the imperial ship and in PvP.

It makes me batty and disappointed, especially because I fronted the money to have my new PC for this game (and, sure, other things, but was excited for SWTOR).

As I mentioned in another thread, there must be a load problem. I imagine this is the engine and, while not impossible to fix, it can take a while. Months, not years. This gets down to RAM and CPU utilization, as well as the bits of the system and throughput. It takes a lot more work to split up the processing work throughout an individual's computer. You have to manually decide how many things will be allocated, on the development end of the software.

II think BioWare can and will fix it, and I hope they do. This is definitely game architecture. I don't buy any explanation for ANYTHING in-game except that it needs to be fixed on the architecture front. I have run a billion endurance tests to make sure it's not me, as it only happens here or in games I'm playing in beta with known architecture problems.

Also, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/3254382679_8235a915bf.jpg

So we have a client team, a team of programmers, whose entire job is to optimise the code, find out where some of the issues are, and then fix that up. Most of the performance issues are localised though. They’re things that we can track down. I would call them bugs.”

I guess a lot of people missed that part of his conversation.

Remember how APPLE told people how to hold their phone and everybody was hating on the new iPhone 4?

yeah.. how popular is the iPhone 4 now?

my point has been made.

Your point wins and so does mine above. I think a lot of people read the first few lines and then hop on here and assume...

So we have a client team, a team of programmers, whose entire job is to optimise the code, find out where some of the issues are, and then fix that up. Most of the performance issues are localised though. They’re things that we can track down. I would call them bugs.”

I guess a lot of people missed that part of his conversation.

No it's more about the main part trying to deny the issue is on machines that are well within spec, that is pissing the people off with the good enough systems. Because they seem clueless and in denial.

I have a 5 month old $2400 rig, and my performance issues have been few. But, they are there. In some areas if it hits you, and your only recourse is to quickly leave the area.

And Bioware has addressed that. It's a localized area, not the game in general. Those are bugs, and they are working on it. Tracking down **** like that can take f****** forever. I say that as someone who has worked on several mod teams over the year.

I have a 5 month old $2400 rig, and my performance issues have been few. But, they are there. In some areas if it hits you, and your only recourse is to quickly leave the area.

BF3 had the same issues with FPS. I have the same cost Rig as you do just about and only 3-4 years old. It is not only the game but the drivers and profiles people use ie: CAP profiles from AMD.

The game company and video card company's have to find their problems and fix them its not just one company by itself

I feel for you guys with FPS issues I really do. I've had those problems with a bunch of games. Fallout 3 was a bad one for me.

Simple fact though is a lot of people with these issues are claiming to know it all, and not really listening to people try to give tips.

Do a registry clean, defrag registry. Try rolling back video card drivers, or look for tweaked drivers from other sites. Make sure you have no malicious software ect. It might be an issue with the game, but honestly I feel like I would be having problems too because my comp hardware isn't good.

Remember how APPLE told people how to hold their phone and everybody was hating on the new iPhone 4?

yeah.. how popular is the iPhone 4 now?

my point has been made.

But the service was the only issue with the phone....this is hardly the same case.

There is something 'funny' with the FPS issue, some beefy machines have FPS issue in SWTOR where they can other games fine, but other machines with comparative hardware or even 'weaker hardware' run without FPS issues. There must be quite a few variables involved.

Ya but the article clearly acknollages that high end rigs are effected and bioware, simply does not think that is the case.

I have to be honest while I don't experience serious FPS issues on most planets, when I'm on the fleet, I am seeing significant FPS drops.

Mind you, while my machine is not new, I can play Skyrim on max settings with an average of 35FPS, with various texture enhancement mods. Batman Arkham City also runs amazingly well with all max settings. Battlefield 3? No problems at all.

Something about this game, whether it's the engine or something else, really puts a strain on my system in certain situations. Which is interesting because graphically, SWTOR is inferior to all of the games that run great.

This is probably one of the reasons BioWare removed high res textures. If people are having FPS issues with mid res, imagine how it would run with high?

what a waste of time. that article says nothing that has not already been said. people need to learn the difference between majority and minority, which is exactly what james was talking about. anybody with half a brain will realize that james is not denying that there is a problem.

I feel for you guys with FPS issues I really do. I've had those problems with a bunch of games. Fallout 3 was a bad one for me.

Simple fact though is a lot of people with these issues are claiming to know it all, and not really listening to people try to give tips.

Do a registry clean, defrag registry. Try rolling back video card drivers, or look for tweaked drivers from other sites. Make sure you have no malicious software ect. It might be an issue with the game, but honestly I feel like I would be having problems too because my comp hardware isn't good.

I spent weeks trying EVERY trick listed in this forum and others to no avail before I ever tried posting one word on the issue. I have not rushed to this conclusion by any means.

Edited by Wardword