Does gunslinger get better?

GlitterOutlaw

cuz wow worst job ive played im now 20 and thinking of quitting it, just cant do alot anything and no healing companions doesnt help

really?! because i'm trying to level one up in-between my Jedi Knight.

i'm not even level 10 yet though.

what's so bad about it? it looks pretty fun.

Dmg isnt all that great no healing oppertunitys your stuck behind cover which doesnt last all that long im teribly unhappy about it wish i went scoundral!

Get your droid geared up a bit for healer companion.. I know he's annoying and stuff, but if you really can't do without a healer, then that's your option.

I'm level 33 and I like it. It helps if you have the cover button mapped propperly (I believe it is already mapped to your mouse scroll wheel; click the scroll wheel). You just get used to clicking the scroll wheel when you hit combat.

If you properly rotate your abilities, and if you properly distribute your talent points mobs drop extremely fast. If Corso's harpoon ability would stay off things would even better. If you open with sweeping gunfire I can finish a fight with a group of mobs in about 10-15 seconds, without taking much damage.

I'm level 33 and I like it. It helps if you have the cover button mapped propperly (I believe it is already mapped to your mouse scroll wheel; click the scroll wheel). You just get used to clicking the scroll wheel when you hit combat.

If you properly rotate your abilities, and if you properly distribute your talent points mobs drop extremely fast. If Corso's harpoon ability would stay off things would even better. If you open with sweeping gunfire I can finish a fight with a group of mobs in about 10-15 seconds, without taking much damage.

It's keyed to "f" as well iirc ^^

i do cover then hit him with my gun go back to cover but the dmg just isnt huge commando Kills slinger in the rnge dmg dept

As of right now, the Gunslinger/Sniper AC is currently the highest dps class in the entire game. So I'm just go ahead and say 'you're doing it wrong'. Try telling us what exactly it is you do when fighting.

As of right now, the Gunslinger/Sniper AC is currently the highest dps class in the entire game. So I'm just go ahead and say 'you're doing it wrong'. Try telling us what exactly it is you do when fighting.

I'm not saying you are wrong or lying but what are you basing that claim on?

Math and people trying it out in endgame. Without combat logs or dps meters it's hard to do it the easy way, but the math is still there.

With respect, and not being rude, can you link to this math? Making a claim that a certain AC is the highest DPS is pretty bold given the combat log-less state of the game.

Pherdnut's Guide to Telling Which DPSer Just Passed Through

* Sage: Bodies, all pebbled to death not too far from where they spawned.

* Commando: Bodies in neat little piles. Mostly exploded, some shot.

* Sentinel: Lines of bodies you could use to trace the path of the Sentinel's movement all cut in half or with missing limbs.

* Gunslinger: Bodies all over the place, scattered at random in no particular pattern. Some dead from bleeding, others shot, others exploded and flung through the air often landing in grimly comical places, and many simply beaten to death or some combination of any or all of those things.

Gunslingers can be challenging to play well which is one of things I like about them. You have to rapidly adapt to situations and maximize advantage of every skill you have to get the most out of them. I've heard people say they think they are boring. What they meant to say was that they were bored of getting killed a lot because they weren't doing it right. Learn to play well and you will definitely not be bored. But yes, definitely not a good AC choice if you just want to know what the "good skills" are so you can cycle through them ad nauseum but I get the impression the OP is trying harder than that.

Also, 20-30 is a little dicey. That's about the time enemies start to get more HP than you have energy to keep finishing fights with Quick Shot, which is a fine way to do it up to that point. Think like a gunslinger. Shift tactics to fit the new situation.

Random Tips:

* Gunslingers are not ranged DPS exclusively. You should be all over the place as the situation warrants and you need to take advantage of your cheaper damage/energy skills as they become available, some of which are melee.

* Learn to use everything. It's all useful in the right situation. All of it. Regardless of the tree you choose.

* Dirty Kick works on almost everything, including a lot of bosses.

* Focus on crits rather than power, get surge bonus items when they're available (boosts crit damage) - Dirty Fighters also benefit greatly from alacrity, which boosts the speed that your bleeds tick (People haven't caught on yet generally but DFers can be really nasty)

* Cover protects you but you need no protection from stunned, knocked down, or dead enemies. In other words, don't try to start and stop every fight in cover - in fact most fights shouldn't start in cover. Run right up and kick those silvers and golds in the nards before firing a single shot.

* Duh, but keep your guns current. Augmented blues and purples are better than commendation mods in oranges.

* And don't let armor pieces fall too far behind or you will definitely start to feel like a glass cannon. Staying up with commendation mods in oranges is viable. Don't ignore any slot for more than 3-4 levels.

* Corso is a tank. If he's not pulling aggro from you, suck it up and turn that grapple back on. Yes I know it's annoying, but it pisses enemies off too. You can mitigate by telling him to target the right enemies so he doesn't grapple just before you were about to kick. Bowdaar definitely needs a gear upgrade when you first get him to be effective. If you're having trouble, try switching back to Korso until you can get some gear to make Bowdaar a little more Wookie-worthy.

* Damage in your off-hand is nerfed but other stats are not. Inferior base-damage guns with otherwise superior stats often boost DPS more when placed in your offhand.

* Learn to play with keybinds. You don't have to keybind everything but melee attacks, commonly used attacks, and special situation attacks (like less than 30% health or while-stunned) should be easy to quickly fire off so you don't miss opportunities. Gunslingers shine when using the right tool for the job at the right time.

* Dirty Fighters - as your bleeds get more powerful and fast-acting, learn to spread Vital Shot around to all your enemies as long as your tank can hold aggro. Get excited about Wounding Shots at level 30. It's a whole new ballgame.

* Energy - Grab energy boosters in all trees as they become available. Every little bit helps you put on more aggressive hurt faster.

Edited by Pherdnut

I'm currently level 34 on my gunslinger, and am enjoying the class as a whole.

to answer your question, yes the class does get better as you level. When it comes to me killing mobs, this is what i usually do. I target lowest HP target first, on groups with multiple targets. I play as Sharpshooter.

Opening

drop into cover where i am in range for all ranged skills

(lvl 10)Aimed shot

(lvl 30)Trick shot the same target if alive, the next target if already dead

(lvl 1)Sabotage charge

(lvl 1)Charged burst the target with the sabotage charge

after that, it just cycling abilities while making sure to remain above 60 energy. the above will kill at least 2 standard enemies (sometime a regular flurry of bolts or a (lvl 18)Quickdraw to finish off something)

If your going to AoE a pack down, alternate (lvl 22)Sweeping Gunfire with (lvl 3)Thermal grenade.

use (lvl 6)Flash grenade, (lvl 4)Dirty Kick or (18)Distraction to inturrupt casts, although i personally only use it for high damage abilities, or heals.

Against strong and elites, I would reccomend using (lvl 4)Dirty Kick and (lvl 16)Pulse Detonator (if melee) to help reduce the damage your Tank companion (which is your first 2 companions) takes.

If you are taking damage, rmember to drop and re-enter cover every 6 seconds or so to renew (lvl 15 minimum)Ballistic Dampeners

Gunslinger is honestly my favorite class. It's a lot of things: the style, the idea, and the fact that they are completely playable doesn't hurt. In PVP, especially vs disorganized PUGs, you can burn down tons of people very quickly, dealing a surprising amount of damage from far away. This is especially true in warzones like Huttball and Voidstar, where most of the enemy team is focused on something that isn't you (the doors/ball carrier). We have a few problems in PVP, but I think we're doing pretty good over all. Just watch out for Ops, I've found my match ups against them usually go pretty poorly, we're a prime target for them (since we're away from the pack), and they're the FOTM class right now.

I'll share some general thoughts on my Gunslinger, with some comparisons to other classes.

First, leveling. I leveled my Gunslinger all the way to 50 (sharpshooter spec, which in my opinion is the best spec for leveling) and did quite a bit of pvp before even trying out another class. Leveling can be tough, your companions aren't great unless you really spend some cash to deck them out in nice gear. At one point I was getting really tired of Bowdaar dying non stop and basically being completely useless. So I hit up the auction house and spent about 50k gearing him up in blues and oranges. He became an absolute beast. He could solo silvers on his own, and was actually able to live through encounters with elites. I've heard some good things about some of the other companions but Bowdaar is great if you spend a dime to get him some good gear.

That said, I've made a Jedi Knight (Guardian), and leveling is infinitely easier. Your first two companions (the droid and then Kira) are actually useful right off the bat, dont have any annoying abilities you have to disable, and are very powerful even without gearing them out heavily (though I still do it anyways). Running through the same areas as my Gunslinger, I would have to rest between every fight, but with my Guardian I can run through multiple encounters with no rest and be absolutely fine.

Story wise, I really enjoyed the Gunslinger story, especially going with the Darkside options. Jedi Guardian I'm not finding nearly as engaging, and have begun just skipping most of the conversations.

PvP wise, Gunslingers are a mixed bag. Currently I think they are one of the weakest classes. Reliance on cover in the sharpshooter spec is a pain in the ***, and Jedi/Sith are infinitely more useful allies to have in a Huttball match than a Gunslinger. That said they can do some decent damage when you learn to play them well. Sharpshooter spec has high burst damage and good survivability while in cover (though you are still easy kills for a well geared and skilled melee player of any kind). However, the Dirty Fighting tree really shines on the objective matches, with your fantastic mobility and the almost complete lack of reliance on cover and almost all channel abilities. The wealth of AoE's and DoT's (and even an AoE DoT) are great for defending turrets and bomb doors, and you can easily top the damage charts because of how grouped up people are in these map types. You also get enough CC to help keep people off the guy whos trying to plant the bomb for you or claim the turret. I do enjoy the pvp, especially when grouped with mates who know what they are doing, but Huttball matches are a disappointment because you just feel like your team would be better off if a Jedi had gotten in instead of you.

So, in conclusion it really comes down to what you think is important, since your initial post was ambiguous. If you are wondering if PvE leveling ever gets any better? Not really, the only classes that have it worse off than a Gunslinger are people who go healer spec's, which isn't really an issue since every healer class has DPS trees they could spec in to during the leveling phase if they wanted. If you are ifritated with the cover mechanic (understandably so), just go with Sab or Dirty Fighting spec, or try out some of the builds you can find on this forum that are a hybrid of the two.

As a DF spec'd Gunslinger I feel very useful in Voidstar and the turret map (name escaped me at the moment), and I pretty regularly top the damage charts, but a lot of that is AoE collateral. Once you learn to play it there are some rare opportunity for some decent burst damage in both the Sab and DF spec's, but they require multiple global cooldowns to build up and dont stack up with the burst other classes get.

lol.. Gunslingers can deal alot of damage, even at lower levels, try upgrade your gear mby?

Im 42 on mine now, and still havnt found a need for a healing companion.

I do die every now and then, wich makes it a good challenge, but if you make a good skill setup, for while your in cover, you will notice, they can deal ALOT of damage from it, granted alot of it is instant burst damage, but at 20 you should be able to handle atleast 2-3 elite mobs of similar level!

I would love to have a healer much sooner than 4x.. because there is situations where one is more needed than a DD companion or tank companion, and to my knowledge we are the only class that have to wait that long to get it!

Edited by UrbanB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.