My SWTOR Wishlist and Impossible Dreams

Rthr-X

So after the past month or more of playing around in TOR, I've got some ideas on my 'dreamsheet' of things I would love to see. I'm sure many of these have been mentioned time and again, but … well, I didn't scour the forums to see how much might have already been posted. Probably a bad move on my part… but let's dive right in anyhow!

• Character Selection Window
    • Simple thing: can I zoom my character out to see him/her in all their armoured glory? Maybe even enable/disable helm display?
    • Completely Ridiculous Request: In the background, which portrays my character’s ship … how about have all of my currently unlocked companions wandering around, doing their thing; checking consoles, arguing with each other, sweeping the floor, etc. That would be just really nifty.

[*]UI Concerns

• The two-window limit is cumbersome; too many times I’m working in my inventory and bank, or browsing the Market, when a crew skill finishes up and my happy companion wants to show me her spoils... which completely disrupts everything I’ve got going on. I should think the crewskill results window should pop-up in a lower portion of the screen, and not affect the existing open windows. And the two-window limit itself should just .. go away.
      • One grating problem with the two-window limit is that it makes it impossible, literally, to browse the Market and see my tradeskill listing at the same time.

[*]Trade Market

• The entire browsing/sorting mechanism is incredibly cumbersome and non-intuitive. The lack of a basic “search by name” feature is a poor oversight.
    • However, maintaining the detailed sub-category breakdown is also important. Being able to see only, say, Orange-quality medium armour chests with strength is seriously important. On that topic, of course, there aren’t enough sorting options to reach that level of specificity. Maybe sorting by stats isn’t practical, but since there are really only four kinds of gear (strength, aim, willpower and cunning) it shouldn’t be too bad, I would think.
    • Another sorting/filter option, taken from WoW, would be listing “usable” trade skill recipes, resulting in only those recipes that your character can learn but hasn't yet picked up. Trying to fill up that crafting skill is, more than anything, frustrating, as you can’t see both the skills and the market at the same time (see UI concerns, above).

[*]Merchants

• Similarly to my Trade Market comments, the merchant interface window needs some additional sorting options as well - restricting the list to affordable items, or items wearable at my level, or gear with a chosen stat (ie, aim), etc.

[*]Paperdoll / Dressup Window

• The ‘dressup’ window (apparently the only window that doesn’t conform to the two-window limit) could use some upgrades; first and foremost, a zoom & pan ability, to see things like helmets up close.
    • The ability to see weapons, either being wielded by your character, or just nice up-close rotating 3d models of the weapon itself, needs to be included.
    • How about hiding the helm on companions as well?

[*]Companion Characters

• It would be nice, while on my ship, to be able to hand out Companion Gifts to my various crew members.

[*]Inventory

• Transferring items from your inventory into the bank does not auto-stack identical items (crafting materials specifically) (bug?)
    • Since inventory is only in large fields of items, some manner of filter/search would be very nice - perhaps a dropdown menu with ‘highlight crafting items’ or ‘equipment’ etc, and/or a regular text search bar.

[*]Missions

• The ‘open’ and ‘filled’ triangle icons for available and complete missions could use a few more options. Mostly, I’d like a visible icon for Heroic missions - as a mostly solo player, I’m never going to do those, but I still pick them up just so I don’t have the random unknown mission showing up on my map. If it had an icon such as a little plus mark or an exclamation point or an arrow, or something equally small and identifiable to mark the mission as heroic (perhaps even a 2 & 4 differentiator if practical), that would help a lot.
    • Maybe a wee checkmark on the icons in your Log window/tracking frame for completed missions just awaiting turn-in?
    • I’m trying to think if there’s a good way, or even if I really want there to be a way, to see what bonus missions might be available for you in a map zone. That may be too much hand-holding, though I think it would be a nice thing sometimes.

[*]Chat

• There’s a lot of message traffic in chat; I presently have four windows; one for guild, one for loot and XP messages, one for just chat transcripts and the last for general chat/say/yell/etc/etc. And sooner or later there'll be a combat log tab as well.
    • I miss a lot of ‘important’ stuff because of it; I would like to be able to enable sounds for specific channels - a little chime when a guild chat message arrives, a ding for guild members logging in and out, and another chime for a whisper, that sort of thing.

[*]Other Things

• Vehicles/Mounts: It would be lovely if you could see your current companion while traveling. On larger taxi’s, put them in the passenger seat. On your personal vehicles … well, that would be harder, but if they could follow you on an identical mount, or sit in a ‘sidecar’, or sit behind you on a spare seat, etc. Simply vanishing into the ether is just so sad.
    • Companion Gift Cooldown: There’s obviously some 30-60sec cooldown on handing out gifts, but it’s not visible anywhere in the UI. I would like to be able to see this someplace, instead of repeatedly clicking on an item waiting for it to be usable.
    • PvP Vendors: Being new to the PvP scene took a while to work out what’s going on with the vendors. They should be named (their title, the ‘guild name’, whatever) to better guide new folks to where they should be looking. Maybe break the level 20 & 40 stuff out to separate vendors, as well, named basically “Level 20 Strength PvP Gear”, “Level 40 Cunning PvP Gear”, “Centurion Aim PvP Gear” or things to that effect.
      • And put the low-level vendors up front, where they’re the most visible!

[*]Training NPCs: I really don't care to have “Bounty Hunter” and “Mercenary” training on different tabs on the trainer NPC. I didn’t even realise it on my first couple of characters for a while. Consolidate it all into one listing, please.

[*]I absolutely love the ‘quick travel’ (“hearthstone”) system, allowing you to zap back to any unlocked base/outpost on the current planet. An incredible time-saver. I could wish for a shorter cooldown, but I won’t complain.

• This in conjunction with the Emergency Fleet Pass system is great. But … and there's always a 'but' … I would really like a quick way to get back to my ship; not sure if this should be a ‘third’ way to escape the world, or maybe replace the fleet pass, but I would personally get far more use out of getting to my ship more often than getting back to the Fleet.

[*]Sending companions off to sell your trash items is an awesome feature. However …

• It would be nice if there was a way to mark any other items in your inventory as ‘trash’ (maybe even via a “trashbin”) so your companion can get rid of undesired greens/stims/etc. and such as well.
      • And it would be nicer if your companion could come back with something like a handful of health packs, while you’re stuck deep in a story phase fighting a really unpleasant boss.

[*]Character Race Selection and Customization

• Okay, here’s what I think we can safely classify as an actual complaint; the selection of races leaves a lot to be desired. I understand that all the available playable races reflects a series of ‘human’ models, easiest to relate to, and who can be expected to speak our native language (English, etc) and be a great gaming avatar. But … cyborgs is a racial selection?
    • Seriously, the ‘cyborg’ thing should be an additional character creation option, another slider to add various cybernetic bits to the other races.
    • Understanding the apparent limitations of the racial selections, I know we aren’t liable to see Wookies anytime too soon, but I would still like to see more options amongst the ‘near-human’ races like the Togruta (Shaak Ti!), Devaronian, Falleen (e.g., Prince Xizor) or some of the more esoteric races like the Balosar.
    • And Twi’lek can only be Inquisitors on the empire side? C’mon, please open that up some. Clearly, the Pureblood Sith are going to be Empire-only, and that’s understandable, but there’s little reason most of the other races can’t be more ‘universal’.
      • Mind you, I’m not a huge lore buff on the extended Star Wars universe, so I’m not really clear if there’s a canon opening for Republic Chiss and things of that nature.

[*]And more customization is, of course, always required. The character creation options are very nice, but I feel that each race could benefit from some more individualized options. Examples:

• Twi’lek should be able to ‘style’ their lekku (head tails), e.g. wrapped around the neck, ‘tied’ back, etc. Maybe even have a missing/severed lekku (poor thing). And more skin patterns (stripes, etc) as well.
      • The Zabrak horn jewelry is awesome; I want more of that! And, of course, more tattoo patterns - and ones that cover the whole body instead of just the face, that would be great.
      • The Togruta would definitely need both of the above, of course.

[*]The legendary ‘barber shop’ … not much more to say on that topic.

I think that should cover it for now. Thanks for your time!

My only impossible dream for this game is guild capital ships. Well, I think we'll get them, but I feel they'll always be docked or simply always be an interior thing. The unlikely part is that I'd like them to be able to enter combat with other capital ships, and players could fight other players in dogfights in their own ships and also board enemy ships.

Oh, absolutely. That's something I decided not to add to the list, though I guess I should have. I'd love some PvP space combat, even group combat. I'm thinking something like ....

• You have a team of, say, four people
  • One person flies a cruiser, and has to follow the enemy, dodge nasty rocks, and barrel roll for luck
  • One person operates weapons, have to click like mad (holding down is weak! :3 ) to decimate the enemy ship
  • A third person manages resources and utility - moving power from weapons to shields and back again, managing ship repair cooldowns and EMP blasts and the like
  • And a fourth person to handle both missile launches and anti-missile chaff/flare

Probably not as much fun as I make it sound in my own head (probably dull dull dull to play some of those jobs), but still.... PvP in SPAAAAAAACE!

A few of your suggestions that I've thought about myself after playing...

Simple thing: can I zoom my character out to see him/her in all their armoured glory? Maybe even enable/disable helm display?

Agreed. Having a primarily centric zoom/zoom-out has hindered my screenshots quite a bit. It is a stupid thing, but I'd love to see it happen.

The two-window limit is cumbersome; too many times I’m working in my inventory and bank, or browsing the Market, when a crew skill finishes up and my happy companion wants to show me her spoils... which completely disrupts everything I’ve got going on.

I've often wondered why this didn't just simply go into the upper-right "Pending Mission Rewards" area. I'm especially annoyed when this happens and I'm selling things on the GTN.

The entire browsing/sorting mechanism is incredibly cumbersome and non-intuitive. The lack of a basic “search by name” feature is a poor oversight.

You're able to do that, so long as you know what it is you're searching for...Find the category, search, type name, enter. Voila!

My addition to this would be a strong update (not just to the GTN, but crafting and buying from vendors) is that the Sort By/Show Only [usable By Me] actually chooses the things you can use effectively. Thusfar if I have Heavy Armor skills, it shows me every single piece of equipment there is. Which of course coincides with your merchant complaint.

The ‘dressup’ window could use some upgrades;.....The ability to see weapons, either being wielded by your character, or just nice up-close rotating 3d models of the weapon itself, needs to be included.

I believe that could be a fairly handy, if not simply cosmetic, option.

Transferring items from your inventory into the bank does not auto-stack identical items (crafting materials specifically) (bug?)

This is one of the few bugs I've experienced in game to actually cause me grief. I noticed they didn't stack, so I began manually stacking them. I can't remember exactly how many were in the stack, but I went over the limit I now know to be 50. As a result, upon my next log-in, the entire stack was gone from my cargo hold. Having something to restrict the player from stacking over 50 or simply auto-stacking upong right clicking would be a saviour.

The ‘open’ and ‘filled’ triangle icons for available and complete missions could use a few more options.

I would love to see a change to the icons for daily missions that I've already completed. Many times I've flown over a triangle and ran back to it thinking, "Yes! I found a new mission!" only to realise midway through dialogue that it was one I completed many a moon ago. Additional colours/icons to show instance missions or completed daily missions would be nice.

Companion Gift Cooldown[/u]: There’s obviously some 30-60sec cooldown on handing out gifts, but it’s not visible anywhere in the UI. I would like to be able to see this someplace, instead of repeatedly clicking on an item waiting for it to be usable.

There is, indeed, a notification for this. It can be found as a buff to the right of your character portrait, opposite all of your current buffers, near the divide. =) It's a count-down timer that is reddish with a silhouette of a body in it. Yay!

Being new to the PvP scene took a while to work out what’s going on with the vendors. They should be named (their title, the ‘guild name’, whatever) to better guide new folks to where they should be looking.

This was also difficult for me to figure out at first...I realised there were different vendors for different classes after checking out their gear and looking at what they were doing (some wore armour that was very obviously Smuggler or Trooper, while others were doing a Counsular move, etc.) Have the 20/40 gear separated would be nice. A clearer presentation overall would be very helpful, though.

With regard to some of the other stuff you mentioned, personally I don't particularly agree with many of them. Especially the Twi'lek thing...They, as a race, had joined the Republic. They were generally enslaved by the Empire at this stage, so it makes sense to say that they wouldn't have too many roles on the Empire side. Considering their natural agility as opposed to outright strength, Inquisitor makes the smarter choice. =)

You're able to do that, so long as you know what it is you're searching for...Find the category, search, type name, enter. Voila!

Waaay too many steps for my limited patience. Just open window, type "Grade 4" and see the results! I'm looking for the lazy options, here.

This is one of the few bugs I've experienced in game to actually cause me grief. I noticed they didn't stack, so I began manually stacking them. I can't remember exactly how many were in the stack, but I went over the limit I now know to be 50. As a result, upon my next log-in, the entire stack was gone from my cargo hold. Having something to restrict the player from stacking over 50 or simply auto-stacking upong right clicking would be a saviour.

Curious. I've not seen anything like that... all my crafting items (Cybertech on my main, so metals and compounds) I just manually stack up to 99, when I start a new stack. Never seen issues with the 50 mark like you say.

I would love to see a change to the icons for daily missions that I've already completed. Many times I've flown over a triangle and ran back to it thinking, "Yes! I found a new mission!" only to realise midway through dialogue that it was one I completed many a moon ago. Additional colours/icons to show instance missions or completed daily missions would be nice.

Absolutely. Just need about seven more varieties to the quest triangles, now.

There is, indeed, a notification for this. It can be found as a buff to the right of your character portrait, opposite all of your current buffers, near the divide. =) It's a count-down timer that is reddish with a silhouette of a body in it. Yay!

........ I never noticed. Dummy me ><

This was also difficult for me to figure out at first...I realised there were different vendors for different classes after checking out their gear and looking at what they were doing (some wore armour that was very obviously Smuggler or Trooper, while others were doing a Counsular move, etc.) Have the 20/40 gear separated would be nice. A clearer presentation overall would be very helpful, though.

Glad I'm not the only one. And then it took me a little bit to explain it to my wife, who was running around lost as well.

With regard to some of the other stuff you mentioned, personally I don't particularly agree with many of them. Especially the Twi'lek thing...They, as a race, had joined the Republic. They were generally enslaved by the Empire at this stage, so it makes sense to say that they wouldn't have too many roles on the Empire side. Considering their natural agility as opposed to outright strength, Inquisitor makes the smarter choice. =)

Well ... obviously I just want to play a sexy Twi'lek without having to play an icky Repubbie, but still; there needs to be more racial options, especially since there's no balancing racial bonuses and such - just art assets, most of which are already existing in the game.

I agree with the op's suggestions. Many of them are very cool. Adding a few of my own dream ones are:

for crew skill missions and gathering, give option to have the gems, gifts, etc go directly to cargo hold on ship instead of in your personal inv. It can be so frustrating to be doing a FP and find out your inv is full because you had 3 crew gathering for you.

Figure out some way to show the deadlyness (read slice through you) of lightsaber combat. I imagine there is way to many obstacles for real time loss of limbs/decapitation but I would be happy with when my juggernaut selects dark side in a cut scene that when they cut someone down they are actually sliced in half/lose a head/slice a hand off. Right now it feels like I am bludgening them with a cool neon flashlight.

Abuse/interact with the ship droid. I want to force push him when I'm angry. I want to put drink trays on him a la "return of the Jedi" R2-D2.

Visual changes to interior AND exterior of my ship when I upgrade it. Big canons, shield dishes, stuff like that.

The only thing I agree with are adding Togruta. The rest are impossible dreams (of yours).

Well, fine, fine. I'm just gushing for a great game, after all.

3D, PVP enabled, Gamepad enabled, Crafting Involved, fly to a Destination and board for Instance/Heroic SPAAAAAAAAAACE! New single pilot, craftable ships...

SPACE!

You know... STAR WARS.

A full-on deep space combat sim would be cool, but .. honestly, I can understand why the on-rails minigame is in there; it's very cinematic. The first time you soar into the minefield map, that was amazing. The dodging, the shooting, the panicy assault on the minefields ... very nice. I want more of that!

But a complete PvP space-sim would be undeniable awesome.

On the character select screen, I would *LOVE* to be able to hit "enter" instead of having to mouseclick 'play' or doubleclick my character name.

Seconded!

for crew skill missions and gathering, give option to have the gems, gifts, etc go directly to cargo hold on ship instead of in your personal inv. It can be so frustrating to be doing a FP and find out your inv is full because you had 3 crew gathering for you.

True enough; especially if you luck out on a couple of discovered harvesting missions, and they come back with seven different items!

Abuse/interact with the ship droid. I want to force push him when I'm angry. I want to put drink trays on him a la "return of the Jedi" R2-D2.

Haha! I like it. A little bit of smacking the droid around would be fun; it's just a droid, no need to go Dark Side for cruelty. :3

Visual changes to interior AND exterior of my ship when I upgrade it. Big canons, shield dishes, stuff like that.

Double-plus-good, heck yeah. That has my vote.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.