Request to mods: Please stop closing and redirecting until forum search is reenabled.

Vodalus

I understand that you want to control your forums, but without a search function, it is not reasonable to expect people to not create duplicate threads. Sure, if you can catch one right after it is started, it's not really an issue.

But when a thread goes on for 16 pages, developing it's own regular group and discussion, the close and redirect is simply a shut-off switch. A developed conversation does not simply pick-up again at the tail end of an established monster-thread.

So, until such time as the search function is reactivated and people can reasonably be expected to join existing conversations, I am simply requesting that you allow established conversations to continue, even if the original post is similar in nature to something else.

*And since I know it's coming, no, this has nothing to do with any thread of mine. This has everything to do with me starting to follow a conversation, but not posting because I like to read the whole conversation before doing so, and having the thread locked when I finally get to the final page.

This is a forum on the internet, man. You know very well people will make duplicate complaints post whether there is a forum search function or not.

Yes, they will. But without one, how are they expected to not do so. I have less issue with the moderation of the duplicate threads if people have the tools to avoid them (though the mods here are notoriously over-zealous about it; "Thank you for your interest in dog grooming, as we already have a thread concerning children biting children, and dogs are also known to bite things, we're going to close this thread and ask that you use the original located here."). That is the point of this thread and my request- note the "until forum search is reenabled" part of the thread title.

I would also like to add, since I'm making requests here and mentioned the occasional over-zealousness of some moderation earlier, that it would be nice if the moderators looked at the actual topic of the thread, rather than simply key words, before redirecting. Just because two threads share a term, doesn't mean they are the same topic. I understand that there are a lot of threads to keep track of, and many times the threads truly are the same topic, but it happens often enough that they aren't actually the same, that it is a bit. . . well, it seems that sometimes it's a matter of a quota, rather than actual moderation. Again, I'm not saying this is always the case, but it happens often enough. Edited by Vodalus

Actually, I agree with this.

Without a forum search, we can't search for previous posts on whatever topic we want to address.

So closing threads and saying "we already have one like this" is borderline rude. Once Search is re-enabled (was supposed to be what, five weeks ago?), then that sort of forum moderation would be acceptable.

Hell I'd like to be able to check back to a post I read/posted in an hour ago.. I cant even check my posts or started threads because that function doesn't even work right.

Then ya have to sift thru 30 pages only to HOPE to find it before giving up.

Both of these things need fixed before this forum becomes more of a cess-pool of crap then it already is.

moved to suggestions forum

It wouldn't surprise me. But, just to be clear, a suggestion and a request are not the same thing.

Honestly, if they move it, it means (I would hope) that they also read it. And this thread is a communication for the mods. So that would be at least a partial success.

Edited by Vodalus

I understand that you want to control your forums, but without a search function, it is not reasonable to expect people to not create duplicate threads. Sure, if you can catch one right after it is started, it's not really an issue.

But when a thread goes on for 16 pages, developing it's own regular group and discussion, the close and redirect is simply a shut-off switch. A developed conversation does not simply pick-up again at the tail end of an established monster-thread.

So, until such time as the search function is reactivated and people can reasonably be expected to join existing conversations, I am simply requesting that you allow established conversations to continue, even if the original post is similar in nature to something else.

*And since I know it's coming, no, this has nothing to do with any thread of mine. This has everything to do with me starting to follow a conversation, but not posting because I like to read the whole conversation before doing so, and having the thread locked when I finally get to the final page.

They don't want you to be able to keyword search a specific problem, ei: poor frame rates, for the same reason they keep deleting related posts, because if you could search such a thing we might see how many thousands of hits we would get and that would make bioware look bad, people might learn the truth, and choose NOT to buy the game and get ripped off by the false system req's stated on the box.

They don't want you to be able to keyword search a specific problem, ei: poor frame rates, for the same reason they keep deleting related posts, because if you could search such a thing we might see how many thousands of hits we would get and that would make bioware look bad, people might learn the truth, and choose NOT to buy the game and get ripped off by the false system req's stated on the box.

Sigh. This is the difference between you and I.

I would be doing research and trying to tweak my system endlessly to get this game to run. Not making snide remarks on every thread i could about my bitterness.

While I can see how it may appear this way, I don't think this is the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending BW here, if you could search my history (a function that requires the search feature we are discussing here), you'd see that I am more than willing to criticize them if I feel it is deserved. But in the case of their forum moderation, believe it or not, it has actually gotten better over time. Closing and redirecting has been a staple of the mod team here since the forums opened, and I'm happy to see it is the primary tool now, rather than the thread merging nightmare of the early days (that lead to threads that even William S Burroughs would likely have found surreal).

I absolutely disagree with the OP. The prolification of similar threads is EXACTLY the reason for which a search tool feels so necessary.

Mods should continue closing and redirecting threads even faster and more aggressively, so we can actually achieve some form of forum consolidation. Besides, let's not fool ourselves: even with a search tool, most people would still open a new thread to be sure their Amazing Opinion™ isn't lost in a thread where the same concerns are lifted.

Actually, I agree with this.

Without a forum search, we can't search for previous posts on whatever topic we want to address.

So closing threads and saying "we already have one like this" is borderline rude. Once Search is re-enabled (was supposed to be what, five weeks ago?), then that sort of forum moderation would be acceptable.

Yep I agree with you.

I absolutely disagree with the OP. The prolification of similar threads is EXACTLY the reason for which a search tool feels so necessary.

Mods should continue closing and redirecting threads even faster and more aggressively, so we can actually achieve some form of forum consolidation. Besides, let's not fool ourselves: even with a search tool, most people would still open a new thread to be sure their Amazing Opinion™ isn't lost in a thread where the same concerns are lifted.

As I said in a follow-up earlier in the thread, I don't disagree that some people would continue to post duplicate threads. But many wouldn't. If someone does, then that is their own fault and I have no problem with the mods closing and redirecting. (Of course, there really needs to be some clarification in the contradiction between "don't post duplicate threads" and "don't necro threads".)

I will say that your first two sentences seem to not line up. You disagree with me, but then go ahead and say that because of the similar threads, the search tool feels necessary. What part of my post makes you think I don't want the search tool added back? I'm actually making an argument for having it.

I will say that your first two sentences seem to not line up. You disagree with me, but then go ahead and say that because of the similar threads, the search tool feels necessary. What part of my post makes you think I don't want the search tool added back? I'm actually making an argument for having it.

No, what I'm saying is that if people's posting habits changed we wouldn't need a search function so much. The good threads (character responsiveness, fps problems etc) proliferated with no need for a search function. What's crapping the forums is the "I quit!" posts, which people reacts to creating a "Me too!" thread. Or the 20000 "Will not resub and here's my wall of text" post.

If the mods keep being aggressive toward this kind of post, these posters (who wouldn't change their behaviour with a search function) will be forced to stick to extabilished threads.

No, what I'm saying is that if people's posting habits changed we wouldn't need a search function so much. The good threads (character responsiveness, fps problems etc) proliferated with no need for a search function. What's crapping the forums is the "I quit!" posts, which people reacts to creating a "Me too!" thread. Or the 20000 "Will not resub and here's my wall of text" post.

If the mods keep being aggressive toward this kind of post, these posters (who wouldn't change their behaviour with a search function) will be forced to stick to extabilished threads.

"Me too" and trolls will always be "me too" and trolls, their behavior and posting habits won't change. Frankly, to think otherwise is simply naive. But, what you are advocating is for the mods to keep running in place in the fight against these threads, and, in the process, to sweep up everyone else.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.