DPS Op viaable in raids?

Hardways

I already have a 50 but I've grown unhappy with it over time. I'm considering rerolling into an Operative and going DPS. However I'd like to know "from people who are 50 AND raiding or at least running HM flashpoints" if the Operative is viable as a DPS in endgame.

Sure I love PvP and they are quiet OP in that respect damage wise but does that damage maintain over the period of a raid encounter when you can't reset back and set up for big bursts over and over?

Not looking to/for flames, just solid feedback. Thanks in advance for the help.

One of the top raiders in my guild is Operative using concealment. I am an operative and am trying lethality out for raids.

They are both viable, and for different reasons. Concealment is more of a melee build, while Lethality is your true mid-range build.

It's hard to say how viable they are without damage meters. They gonna have to do more damage than pretty much all other dps classes to be really viable though as they provide the least utility while also being melee. Not to mention they got no charge or force speed to help changing between targets faster.

Another problem is that certain bosses are a pain to backstab at times since the games detection about weather you are behind a enemy or not is retarded/broken. Often you have to go to the side/in front of the boss to get backstab off.

Basically if pve is your main concern operative probably a bad choice unless you want to be a healer.

Edited by Dariuszs

It's hard to say how viable they are without damage meters. They gonna have to do more damage than pretty much all other dps classes to be really viable though as they provide the least utility while also being melee. Not to mention they got no charge or force speed to help changing between targets faster.

Another problem is that certain bosses are a pain to backstab at times since the games detection about weather you are behind a enemy or not is retarded/broken. Often you have to go to the side/in front of the boss to get backstab off.

Basically if pve is your main concern operative probably a bad choice unless you want to be a healer.

Not sure I agree with this. OPs don't have a gap closer because they ca n do mobile dps. It's not ideal dps, but it allows you to regen energy on the run.

I've just recently started doing HMs, running with a steady group: Jugg, Powertech, Ops DPS, Ops healer. We can tear through stuff pretty easily, for the most part. My concern is that, from what (little) I've seen in HM flashpoints and on the flashpoint forum, there are quite a few bosses that are pretty melee unfriendly. My group has a horrible composition for, say, the last fight of HM Boarding Party or Krel Thak in HM Battle of Ilum. It's kind of discouraging.

a dps OP can be either concealment or lethality specced.

concealment is usually like a stealth melee tree - in which a lot of abilities rely on stealth or affect stealth in some way. although concealment spec can do some serious dmg, the fact that OP does not have a gap-closing abillity & the current raid situation (quite a bit of running and target switching, etc) is creating a lot of dps downtime for this spec.

lethality is a dot tree - containing some ranged but mostly melee atks. there is little consenus on the dmg performance of this spec but it is generally agreed that this spec is 'missing something' and needed fixing. besides, sniper also has this tree... and you should totally be a sniper instead of OP if you really want lethality spec (serious - ranged is 1000x better than melee).

dps OP is viable, but may not be competitive.

I am currently raiding HM EV as a lethality spec. I love lots of things about it however, there are issues. For a "midrange" skill tree, you have to stay in melee range to generate TA. I don't know how hard it is to keep TA active in the Concealment tree, but at points in your rotation as Lethality, I find I have to sacrifice refreshing a dot or weakening blast for a CD to shiv again. Other than that I dont' have too many complaints about the tree. Keep dots and Weakening blast up, and your culls will crit for a ton. The rotation consumes tons of energy, but with a high crit, stim boost, and adrenaline prob it's not too much of an issue.

I am currently raiding HM EV as a lethality spec. I love lots of things about it however, there are issues. For a "midrange" skill tree, you have to stay in melee range to generate TA. I don't know how hard it is to keep TA active in the Concealment tree, but at points in your rotation as Lethality, I find I have to sacrifice refreshing a dot or weakening blast for a CD to shiv again. Other than that I dont' have too many complaints about the tree. Keep dots and Weakening blast up, and your culls will crit for a ton. The rotation consumes tons of energy, but with a high crit, stim boost, and adrenaline prob it's not too much of an issue.

Do you feel your damage is up to par with other classes?

It's actually easy to keep TA's as concealment.

As we have 2 ways to do it.

Proc'd off Lacerate which procs often as long as we have corrosive dart on the target.

The other is to just heal ourself, we can 100% proc guarantee TA from I think it's kolto injection?

The other is to just heal ourself, we can 100% proc guarantee TA from I think it's kolto injection?

I *think* you need a skill from the medic tree to get your TA back from a kolto injection?

Keeping TA's up isn't too bad from what I've done. Bosses with KB and AoE's or ones that move over their fire drones or land mines are a pain as an op. But to echo what someone else said, Ops are a thinking class, not a button mashing class. We have to work a little harder at getting the most out of our abilities.

Dps is decent, cant tell without combat logs. You will be wishing you were ranged at endgame PVE. TOO MANY Melee unfriendly fights.

I am slowly changing my op to pvp only toon. Depends on the new 4 bosses they bringing in next patch, if they are still anti-melee, that will most likely be the final straw for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.