Dmg done by Strike is shown more then what's actually done (video proof)

SephiusUK

So there I was in Alderaan on my lvl 50 Jedi Guardian collecting Datacrons when I realised something was up with Strike. I noticed that the damage displayed on screen was more then the damage that was actually inflicted upon the target.

I did some tests and filmed one of them detailing the discrepancies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns82BKfQHlY

Has anyone else noticed this? Depending on your view, it's pretty significant. I was pretty annoyed when I found out. If it's a bug then fair enough, I hope Bioware notice it.

But could it be just not calculating the damage right? Who knows. Have a look or test for yourself.

I look forward to hearing your views on this.

P.S- I did do a few more tests which resulted in greater discrepancies then the video shows. But I'm sure the video will give you the basic overview of what I mean.

Edited by SephiusUK

Your thread title reads backwards. Sounds like you're saying the damage in flytext is more than actual damage, when your video (and body text) shows the opposite.

Interesting, none-the-less.

Fixed, sorry about that. But yeah it is interesting :S

Yeah, so I consider this to be a BIG issue. Have you posted in the technical/bugs forum as well as posted a ticket? This needs to be addressed because our strike ability hits like a wet noodle. Either have the numbers display that pathetic damage correctly or the devs need to boost that damage.

I think you're looking at it wrong.

The first Strike in the video, a new number never pops up. It just counts up. That's the way I've always looked at it. It's counting up and the last number displayed (the 488 or whatever) is the total damage done. In the second Strike, it the first hit is displayed, the second hit makes that number increase, and the third hit crits or something and displays a number. The total damage done is the second hit number and the third number together. I don't think it's a bug, it's just displayed weird.

very interesting - though, its not a bug. Seems like a complex damage reporting system - not the way I would have gone, but interesting to know, nonetheless.

Aye exactly. That's why I got confused by it and wanted to see what other people thought. It's just an odd way of displaying the total I suppose.

First Strike: 152, 323, 488 Actual: 488

Second Strike: 171, 320, 171 Actual: 492

Third Strike: 277, 169, 335 Actual: 611

Looking at the first strike, 152 + 323 = 475, not 488, so it's not a total of the 1st + 2nd hit. Yet the third hit is the actual damage done.

Looking at the second strike, 171 + 320 = 491 (but I'm willing to accept it's a rounding thing, so let's say it's correct), yet unlike the first strike, the third number isn't the correct value. Note that since the first and third numbers are the same, we can't see which is the incorrect value.

Finally the third set of numbers. 277 + 335 = 612, again going to assume a rounding thing so we'll say 1 + 3 = Final. This means the second number is wrong.

So three different strikes, three different issues. First strike, only the 3rd number is correct. Second strike, 1st and 2nd seem correct, 3rd is not. Third strike, 1st and 3rd seem correct, 2nd is not.

So....no, I don't think it's a complex reporting system. I think it's just plain buggy. To my recollection, Strike does 3 hits. I was willing to accept it as 1st hit, 2nd hit, Total (1st + 2nd + 3rd) being displayed but Strike 2 and 3 both contradict this. I was then willing to accept it's out of order. The order of display is not the same as the order it was dealt in. But Strike 2 and 3 contradict this by having no number that's the total and an extra number that puts you over the total.

Really the only question is which is buggy, the damage or the display.

P.S. I'm open to the possibility that a crit overrides the display. Like maybe one of the hits critted and it ends up showing but the crit number and the non crit number. The only thing is the contradiction in Strike 2 and 3. In Strike 2, you see a non crit -> crit -> non crit. In Strike 3 you see crit -> non crit -> crit. It could be that it can only show three numbers, and it shows a crit hit as two numbers, first non crit then crit. However, why doesn't Strike 3 follow suit? I thought maybe it couldn't work on the first hit but then you look at Strike 2.....

Edited by DarkwingGT

That's not really the issue. Look at the strike numbers, it doesn't support any consistent model of damage reporting at all. For example, if it was just a running total, then each consecutive number should be higher than the previous. This is not the case in at least one instance.

this is not exactly complicated. The numbers seems to reset to 0 at a random point.

So in the first swing, it added all 3, the last tick at 488 showing actual damage done by all 3.

In the 2nd swing, it adds the first 2, then resets for the 3rd swing. So 320+171 = 491 (rounded to 492 im sure).

3rd swing, it reset after the 1st swing, so 277+335 = 612 (rounded to 611 in actuality)

Not exactly ideal, but it has no in-game effect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.