[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Companies now days just do what they want. They dont care about what the customer wants even though the customer is who keeps the company going. Funny how that works. What if it was the other way around. If the company was there for the gamers and had to pay us to play their ****** games. LOL wouldnt that be a nice change of pace. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I say or attempt to give the impression that I didn't? I'm just stating why I think the official response we got is well.. I think it's rather absurd, and moderately insulting to anybody with even a small amount of graphics and programming experience.

Now.. I'm not stating that I don't believe that there may be a bug in their rendering engine that has issues when textures reach/exceed a certain resolution.. That may very well be the case.

In short.. Yes, FPS should be better (I'm getting about 100ish on average right now though), and the root of the reason for the FPS issue is NOT the textures; however their rendering engine may be in a state where higher resolution textures might cause issues on lower end machines, not because of the machine per say, but because of issues with the engine that simply wouldn't be noticable on higher end machines unless you were specifically looking for it.

That better?

Dont get me wrong. I was talking about the same thing and because of my lack of knowledge about how game engines work, etc. i just couldn't address the issue there.

And yes, that's better thanks :).

This is stupid....... Just enable them... If peoples PCs cannot handle them they will turn the textures down and deal with it

No they won't (well, some I'm sure will but I suspect most won't). They'll leave them as high as they can and whine about the bugs and poor performance. They'll feel entitled to run it as high as possible because they paid good money for their rigs and want the bragging rights.

"It's a 2012 game! I should be able to run it in as high-res as I want!"

C'mon. We all know that will be the kind of post made every 10 minutes if they put the high-res textures in as they are now.

Bioware, the best solution would be if you would force medium textures only on fleet and operations. 50% of the player base can handle high resolution textures anywhere else.

Why should we be handicapped because some people with weak machines want to play on high resolutions? The high resolutions are already implemented in the game, you do not need to create them, only allow them to be used! I have bought a strong top-of-the-line computer so I could play pc games in the best settings and I am sure many other players upgrade their PCs regulary as well.

Please, do not force us to play on medium when the high resolution textures exist and are implemented.

Edited by Jedlosson

Correct - they make us start a new thread after about a thousand posts so that it doesn't seem like such a huge issue. The old threads are locked and buried under the site traffic in a matter of minutes.

Im not sure exactly why they do this, but my best guess is that the forum database gets overloaded when loading a thread with over 1k replies.

I doubt its anything to do with propaganda or trying to hush it up. I dont put it past anyone to do that, but I think its probably a database issue more than anything.

The swtor site used to go offline all the time, everyday it would be down from getting hammered. I think its related to that.

This is a screen with all my Catalyst settings turned up. Nothing overclocked.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9692/swtor20120111hires4.jpg

I agree... that's what the game looks like currently. Some people are playing with their mipmap/texture levels set to something other than "high quality" at the driver level.

Could it looks better without much of a performance hit? Yes, for people with enough video ram for higher res texture assets.

Would people with 512 megs video ram being able to run texture s at a higher resolution than we have currently? No, definitely not... unless they want a massive performance hit as their card swaps textures from main memory/pagefile constantly.

Edited by Daemonjax

@Rockjaw Stephen Reid

@tarsolya As we said yesterday, we're working on increasing fidelity for everyone.

in reply to ↑

@TheRealZorvan None

@Rockjaw @tarsolya While showing high rez ingame shots for promoting 1.1. on mmorpg.com the very next day. Spin is unraveling.

Edited by Zorvan

We have a month old game, that has very sub-par graphics, launcher issues, other performance issues, (some people still cannot even get the game to load) and we get junk excuses. Bioware, for the love of gaming, please do not let EA ruin your reputation with this unacceptable level of customer service.

Ugh, this. I find these graphics to be ridiculously sub-par. I find it insulting that we were originally told this was a bug that would be fixed, but we are now being told it is "working as intended". I find the communication to be adequate, but the speed at which these problems are being addressed to be unsatisfactory. I have numerous issues effecting me ever day I play the game. While these are not ground breaking issues they effect my game play and make my experience less enjoyable every day. Three examples that come to mind are;

1) Force Cloak being extremely buggy (DoTs taking you out of stealth, but keeping you permanently in combat)

2) Groups being disbanded after finishing a warfront

3) Guild window horrendously buggy

A month after release and I feel that almost nothing meaningful has been fixed, at least from my limited perspective.

did this guy just openly admit to torrenting films?

No way In my profession I do software QA and DEV work which I need alot of space for all the versions of the software.

I also converted my whole DVD collection to Digital.

Mr Scopey thanks for keeping me thinking.

Edited by Deathsidehell

Reading over the official response, there is still a question that lingers in the back of my head : is the rendering problem related to the amount of data that has to be pulled from the HD, or is it because the rendering engine can not keep up rendering the data?

If the issue is the data transfers from the HD you should consider dumping all the character textures in a ram disk and read them directly from ram.

If the issue is the rendering engine itself you will obviously have a big issue on your hand because you will need to optimize the rendering engine, which is a big task.

That being said, I played both beta weekends and never had a performance issue with the high resolution textures.

That being said, I played both beta weekends and never had a performance issue with the high resolution textures.

To me, that's the most confusing part of the issue. I didn't have any trouble with it either, and only had minimal lag in a few spots. But I didn't play much in the big beta weekends with huge loads.

Edited by daemian

If I understand it correctly, the screen shots in the article below are medium resolution, since the game engine currently does not draw high resolution textures?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/5997/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-The-Future-of-the-Old-Republic.html

No. The high res textures have been disabled except for cutscenes in the actual game. The promo shots are high res.

The threads filled up so they made new ones.

I was referring to posts getting deleted, they have been, especially posts dealing with performance issues, launcher and loop fixes, and the like. Should have been more specific I suppose.