Solutions for common concerns of those not in early access yet

Jilla

First of all, don’t panic. You will get in the game and in a few weeks it won’t really matter when you got in. The content will still be there when you get there and you won’t miss anything cool or new. It’s like seeing a movie on the second weekend after its release… it’s still just as enjoyable.

But if you are anxious about some common worries, here are some ideas to help.

1) Names. I didn’t get in on the “first” wave and didn’t roll my characters until well after people were on the server. I very easily got my first choice of names for all my characters. But I had backups and my name ideas were somewhat unique. A few of my friends who got in the game were disappointed that their main names weren’t available, but they backup names that were similar enough that it’s all good. Try to have a few backup names up your sleeve.

So, for example, if you wanted to name your character “Amidala” have similarly phonetic names like Amadala, Amidela, Ahmidala, etc… at hand. Or just come up with other, completely different names. Chances are you will get your first or second choice. So as long as you aren’t 100% set on “must have the name “Amidala” and it can only be spelled that way!” you will be good. If it’s that bad and you can’t get any of your names (and you don’t have friends in the game already) try a different server.

2) Friends out-leveling you. I am in the game before most of my friends, so I rolled more than one character. I am saving my “main” character for when they are able to log in. Ask your friends if they don’t mind doing the same (especially if they plan on rolling “alts” already). But even if your friends won’t or can’t wait for you… don’t worry. Everyone levels at difference paces and if it’s that important to you, you can “make up” time later on. If you are an end-game content person, it’s literally only like missing raiding for one week (and most likely the “learning” and “high repair bills” week at that).

3) Being lower level on a PvP server. This is a tough one and might be the worst to really combat. You could consider rolling on another server instead, but probably your best bet is to try to slug it out. It will be tough and more challenging, but you will get though it. If you can, join a guild that could offer some protection from ganking. Also be sure to know how to contact people in other zones you can report “ganking.” Most people in your faction would love to fight and take out a ganker… I mean, who doesn’t?

I think these are the main reasons I see people upset over not getting in sooner—I mean aside from just generally being eager to play. It’s understandable, but I hope I’ve offered a few solutions to put minds at ease and reduce anxiety. Hope everyone is in game soon.

You got on here on the first day and have the gall to lecture us and tell us not to worry about getting to pick the names we want. Get out.

Not lecturing... just offering suggestions to help with a situation neither you nor I have any control over. And while I did get on, on the first day, I was in the last wave and didn't log in until the evening. I created more than one character and had no issues with names--this after all the other waves got in. I am just saying it's not as dire as one might think, but if you do run into naming problems, "here are some suggestions that might help".

Essentially power hungry no lifers will power to 50 and make levelling hell on pvp servers. a staggered launch was a bad idea for this reason

Yeah, that's the worst case scenario I can think of (because world PvP would effect everyone). But you know, it would have happened anyway most likely (there is ALWAYS some who powerlevel no matter what the game). Hopefully people who live to gank lower levels will get bored soon. Like I mentioned, you could join a guild for protection or just be sure to clearly communicate with power levelers in your faction when ganking is going on.

But at least on other servers it won't matter. I've seen posts where people are concerned that others will power level on a PvE server and and start farming BoE items to sell. In that scenario, just don't buy that stuff (level up on your own time and get it for yourself later on).

Edited by Jilla

A previous post got me thinking I should mention this. I am not saying I agree (or even disagree with the early access and how it was done). What I am saying is it is what it is and there is nothing to be done about it now. So it's best to look at solutions for any concerns you might have. I am hoping this thread can be a place where people can voice concerns and others can make suggestions. Not a QQ thread or a "lecture" thread.