Why sentinels dont have force push?

khsolo

I dont get it. Since when did have a lightsaber stop a jedi from using Force push or pull. We should have got force pull though. to close gaps better. Now supposdly for Guards your force push is going to clear the CD for force Leap. Sounds amazing for you. Also for Guard who wants to be a viable DPS class. Maybe they should pull out another lightsaber and put away that sheild generator

End Game Spoiler Question...

I heard that in the flashpoint where you fight Darth Malgus, he becomes immune to damage once he is at something like 5% HP and the only way to kill him is with a knockback ability, kocking him off the platform.

How does a sentinel kill Darth Malgus with no knockback abilities...

Not that you'd run a FP with only Sentinels, but I can see a 4 man group reduced to only 1 or 2 players... Sentinels.

A bit awkward, no?

This is the ONLY reason I think sents need some form of knockback. It has the potential to severely overbalance us for PvP though.

Don't we need like... a free hand... to Force Push?

I thought we were already holding a saber in that hand.

Maybe we can Force throw our saber at a guy... then, while it is flying at him, gain access to a Force Push ability?

Wait, no, sabers aren't actually boomerangs. If we did that, our flung saber would drop to the ground, leaving us without an offhand.

We don't need Force Push, IMO.

This first part is just a bad argument. If we look at the movies (which also a bad argument, by the way but since we are there anyways). Vader very clearly hurls items at Luke with his hands "full". Luke does a handstand, while levitating objects, etc. Also where in the movies did a smuggler shoot someone with healing bullets, or "entrap" someone in a force whirlwind?

Now as a sentinel, it is very legitimate to lobby for a Force Push/Pull ability. It provides a useful bit of utility and when your damage is absolutely dependent upon being in range of a person, effecting your opponents at range is an important skill cap the Sentinel lacks. Their mobility on the whole is not all that spectacular.

Ideally (not all these would be necessary or even advised and definitely all of them in one class with high damage output would be overpowered), I would like to see Sentinels get a Force Pull/push, a cloak of shadows (4 sec duration) like ability, a "sprint" (like force speed or blink) ability, and/or a target reticle jump (for the WoW players out there Heroic Leap).

Being able to reposition bad guys is useful in all venues of the game (whether it is moving the monster being fought out of the way of a pathing elite, or defending the goal in Huttball). Right now Sentinels are very poor at that.

This first part is just a bad argument. If we look at the movies (which also a bad argument, by the way but since we are there anyways). Vader very clearly hurls items at Luke with his hands "full". Luke does a handstand, while levitating objects, etc. Also where in the movies did a smuggler shoot someone with healing bullets, or "entrap" someone in a force whirlwind?

Now as a sentinel, it is very legitimate to lobby for a Force Push/Pull ability. It provides a useful bit of utility and when your damage is absolutely dependent upon being in range of a person, effecting your opponents at range is an important skill cap the Sentinel lacks. Their mobility on the whole is not all that spectacular.

The first part of my argument was meant to be taken as seriously as the OP's, "all Jedi have Force Push."

See, my worry is less one of, "wouldn't it be cool?" and more one of, "do we actually need it?" Honestly, that feels like what these forums have devolved into; a listing of things Sent doesn't have, but clearly needs based on merely the fact that it'd be good utility.

As you yourself stated, a Force Push (which is the subject of this thread) would only serve to hinder our ability to DPS. Indeed, it's only true usefulness would be Huttball hijinx, Voidstar bridge hijinx... and a mild form of protective utility that, I feel, this class doesn't need, nor deserve.

If we were instead talking about a Force Pull, then I could certainly see the usefulness. That said, I still feel as though it is unnecessary for this class. In fact, I hear that we used to have it, but it was removed for balance reasons; again, see my statement about me deeming it unnecessary.

Ideally (not all these would be necessary or even advised and definitely, all of them in one class with high damage output would be overpowered)I would like to see Sentinels get a Force Pull/push, a cloak of shadows (4 sec duration) like ability, a "sprint" (like force speed or blink) ability, and/or a target reticle jump (for the WoW players out there Heroic Leap).

Being able to reposition bad guys is useful in all venues of the game (whether it is moving the monster being fought out of the way of a pathing elite, or defending the goal in Huttball). Right now Sentinels are very poor at that.

*checks this WoW Thesaurus*

Cloak of Shadows? Well, we already have two invulns in Guarded by the Force and Watchman's spec'd Force Camo. Additionally, a Watchman's Camo can break movement impairing effects. Not sure why would be need a full cleanse, other than in the aforementioned, "wouldn't it be great?" context.

Sprint? Check! Transcendence is actually a mildly better Sprint than that of the Sage/Shadow's. And we can cast it twice in a row with VC.

Heroic Leap? We've got two... only the target must be a player, rather than a ground location. Ground-target leaps are no good because melee classes without them can be put in the awkward spot of not being able to reach their targets. At least with player-targeted leaps, one can always find a way.

Seems the only thing we are missing from list is the push/pull and we already know my take on that situation.

Edited by Fascion

Keep in mind that Legacies are still coming, and although I've seen no info on what those will eventually look like, it would make sense for them to include additional utility skills, particularly as they are leveled. Perhaps the Legacies will add additional force powers for force classes and techs for non-force. There's also expansions in the future, which will likely follow the industry pattern of adding new tricks to old classes to revitalize the game.

I think force pull and push would be fine with Sentinel, and wouldn't necessarily require a loss of our DPS capability. Choosing to push or pull someone would be very situational, and you are losing DPS in a sense because you're choosing to move them around instead of whacking them with a glow stick.

How about Satele Shan's Hadouken in the backstory cinematic on Alderaan? Wouldn't that be sweet to drop into a Legacy!

Ideally (not all these would be necessary or even advised and definitely all of them in one class with high damage output would be overpowered), I would like to see Sentinels get a Force Pull/push, a cloak of shadows (4 sec duration) like ability, a "sprint" (like force speed or blink) ability, and/or a target reticle jump (for the WoW players out there Heroic Leap).

You want cloak of shadows and a sprint, play a Shadow. They get both of those.

• 10 years later...
Any force user should have force push the most basic powers I started on sentinel cuz ya know duel Saber only to find out way later I have none of the iconic force powers, it's like the most basic thing any jedi can do. Except mine, is just a swordsman arguably not even force sensitive. You have a star wars game and you have a jedi but he can't have powers like wut

Ironically, Concentration Sentinel / Fury Marauder has a Force ability using their dominant hand: Force Crush. I guess Focus Burst/ Raging Burst also count as using a Force ability at an enemy? Either way, in both abilities, the toon attacks using the Force while the lightsaber is still in his hand. These are not melee attacks (white damage) but pure Force energy (yellow damage).