Staggered launch = 1 Giant Queue

Khondar

It's essentially what it is. Instead of having a rotation of players waiting in line for 30 min. to 1 hour and playing for a limited amount of time, you get people having 100% guaranteed access to the game while others wait for days.

Here's where the problem lies, at 11PM EST when the people that played all evening long logged out... no one took their spot. Same for the guys that went out for dinner, or the guy going to school at 6AM this morning. In other words, for the satisfaction of these selected few, the majority could not play. A standard queue system would have left more people play, it would have been fair for everyone.

Would a standard queue system be perfect? Of course not, it sucks for people with limited time, or people stuck on populated servers due to friends and guilds. It would still be a LOT better than what we got today.

The only way a staggered launch would have worked better than the standard queues is if someone was there 24/7 allowing players in as the server population shifts around.

So Bioware, next time you decide to "reinvent the wheel", test it first. It wasn't hard to see how this launch would create issues like this days and weeks beforehand.

And for anyone wondering why no one complained about it... we all assumed they were intelligent enough to do as I mentioned, a staggered launch with an automated or manual system letting in players as the day progress. Not send 5 waves with Low population servers and call it a day.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's essentially what it is. Instead of having a rotation of players waiting in line for 30 min. to 1 hour and playing for a limited amount of time, you get people having 100% guaranteed access to the game while others wait for days.

Here's where the problem lies, at 11PM EST when the people that played all evening long logged out... no one took their spot. Same for the guys that went out for dinner, or the guy going to school at 6AM this morning. In other words, for the satisfaction of these selected few, the majority could not play. A standard queue system would have left more people play, it would have been fair for everyone.

Would a standard queue system be perfect? Of course not, it sucks for people with limited time, or people stuck on populated servers due to friends and guilds. It would still be a LOT better than what we got today.

The only way a staggered launch would have worked better than the standard queues is if someone was there 24/7 allowing players in as the server population shifts around.

So Bioware, next time you decide to "reinvent the wheel", test it first. It wasn't hard to see how this launch would create issues like this days and weeks beforehand.

And for anyone wondering why no one complained about it... we all assumed they were intelligent enough to do as I mentioned, a staggered launch with an automated or manual system letting in players as the day progress. Not send 5 waves with Low population servers and call it a day.

QFT! :mon_trap:

I have no problem with a staggered launch. I have a problem precisely because they stated they would be rolling out waves throughout the day and promptly stopped half way through the day

All communication ended around the same time in the middle of the afternoon. Both main posts and the 5th wave, not to mention Forum moderators have been deleting but not commenting all evening long. Maybe they had an office party or something. :confused:

Why are you complaining about free game time, again? You didn't get free game time like some other people, so you want MORE free game time?

Talk about childish. It's a video game for christ's sake. They're giving people up to 7 days of free game time and all you want to do is complain about how not EVERYBODY gets the free 7 days?

Why are you complaining about free game time, again? You didn't get free game time like some other people, so you want MORE free game time?

Talk about childish. It's a video game for christ's sake. They're giving people up to 7 days of free game time and all you want to do is complain about how not EVERYBODY gets the free 7 days?

Pretty sure if he preordered than he paid for the game. So it's not free, free is paying nothing, nada, zilch, and still getting early access. Thanks for playing.

Considering the early start as free game time is a fallacy. Your copy of the game you purchased will be used to pay Bioware's employees salary, infrastructure, bandwith, etc. And that includes the salary they gained during the early start and the infrastructure they had to install. No it is not free, you paid or will pay for it.

Not to mention the early access was the main selling point of the pre-order, regardless of the way it was stated with the good old "up to".

Edited by Khondar

Totally agree, this is a bad move by BW...in my opinion :-)

Pretty sure if he preordered than he paid for the game. So it's not free, free is paying nothing, nada, zilch, and still getting early access. Thanks for playing.

It's free because it isn't taken from the 30 days. That's what he paid for. The 30 days starting Dec. 20th.

Yep... and when you finally log in ( Dec 20th) you get to experience the lag and server crashes.

Dragging 1 mil players through a staggered EA, and expecting 1 mil additional players to log in on the 20th with no problems... ...

Yes i am baffled to how there servers are going to be anymore stable come "official launch" this just means if you get 1 day early access you may be screwed the very next day when the servers have queues and begin to crash anyway.

Atleast with a queue system you can see when you are getting in. Being completely left in the dark with no information is the worst possible way to communicate to your customers, then i see comments like "Youll get atleast a day" makes me laugh if they think a day is what the customers preordered for..

Another issue i have is the "EARLY ACCESS" is probably their biggest selling point for preorders, why do they not recognize this and understand this is why customers preordered in the first place.. otherwise we would all just buy it at launch honestly..

Considering the early start as free game time is a fallacy. Your copy of the game you purchased will be used to pay Bioware's employees salary, infrastructure, bandwith, etc. And that includes the salary they gained during the early start and the infrastructure they had to install. No it is not free, you paid or will pay for it.

Not to mention the early access was the main selling point of the pre-order, regardless of the way it was stated with the good old "up to".

You paid for the 30 days starting on Dec. 30th of game time, plus the physical game itself. Where did the extra days come into this?

If you didn't want the EGA you could have not pre-ordered and bought it after release. It would cost the same as the pre-order and you won't get the EGA, but hey, you got what you paid for, right?

Or should all the people who buy the game after release demand 7 free days of game in addition to the 30 because some of the people who pre-ordered got it?

Edited by WaveRaider

It's free because it isn't taken from the 30 days. That's what he paid for. The 30 days starting Dec. 20th.

No, the deal was if you pay in advance, you get extra time free. If you don't get the extra time, what's the point in pre-ordering? Might as well just go to the store and pick the game up on the 20th, it's not like there'll be any lack of copies available.

I agree with Galataea. And I want to also say that: Bioware, if at one point you saw that preorders were too much, why didn't you stop that?

They just said "we don't know if we'll sell more pre-orders due to the high request".

But, magic moment, you are still able to preorder it even now. :)

As Galataea said, many of us preordered just for early access. I could even buy it on 20 on digital version.

That isn't what his post is about. You obviously need to work on your reading comprehension skills

100% agree. also it was pretty much everybody's choice (well everybody who followed the game closely) I did the crazy chicken on 1st day of pre-order. Ordering @ amazon, after 30 minutes without pre-order-key cancelling the order. did the same with play, also cancelled that one and then got a box at a retailer the same day. That's why I got to play on the first day.

While I definitely not agree on BW's communication with us. This was made very clear by them (other than topics like closed beta for Europeans, which was a catastrophe).

As long as you get in on the 19th or earlier, Bioware delivered exactly what they promised. The amount of whining is ridiculous and pretty damn pathetic.

You are derailing the topic. At no point in my original post have I mentioned I was blaming them for lying to me. I said a standard queue system would have worked better than this staggered launch, I brought up intelligent concerns in a concise manner. If you do not wish to discuss this point I am sure there are 1000 other posts you can troll.

BW seem incapable of sending more than a few emails at once, even the beta invites for everyone were staggered a couple of weeks back, it's very odd.

I was very much in favour of a staggered launch, but assumed it would be more like 10-12 waves a day, with advance notice of what DAY you would most likely get in, but not necessarily the time.

Inviting a tiny amount of people, (at very strange times for us Euros) and then dissapearing without a word whilst the servers are still fairly empty just seems like asking for trouble?