What was the point of the high access beta weekend?

Sentanta

I am just wondering why BW are being so cautious with the numbers they are allowing onto the servers as I thought this was tested during the large access beta weekend?

I had a pretty smooth experience that weekend and saw hardly any posts that had problems and reportedly there were 700,000+ players on that weekend. It seems like the number of people they allowed in yesterday was significantly lower than that.

Can anyone please explain?

I am just wondering why BW are being so cautious with the numbers they are allowing onto the servers as I thought this was tested during the large access beta weekend?

I had a pretty smooth experience that weekend and saw hardly any posts that had problems and reportedly there were 700,000+ players on that weekend. It seems like the number of people they allowed in yesterday was significantly lower than that.

Can anyone please explain?

i dont work for bioware so any explaination i give or anyone else that isnt an employee is speculation and will only cause dissention in the forums and is unneeded shrug

Not sure how much you know about stress testing of anything, but I will try to give you several examples on why they are handeling it as they do.

When you stress test a pc you try to max load it to see how much it can handle and then you tune it down below the known threshold in case of bad airflow at random points or whatever to ensure your prosessor doesnt fry as an example.

When you craft a fork lift for storage work you find out how much weight it can take before it topples over and then write a manual with numbers below that as a safety precaution.

When you stress test a server you max load it to find out how much information it can handle both in and out before it crashes and then when you atually start the server for use, you stay below the max load to have a safety margin if you get peak times or you calculated wrong or other server related traffic issues.

Every company that deals with these kind of things, be it crafting, community service etc. do this. It's not new and it us just to ensure that everyone will be able to play the game at its fullest.

And also. In no way has BioWare stated that everyone will get 5 days or the newly 7 days. They have been honest about the first come first serve since before preorders started. If people don't care about the small print, then thats their choice, but you cant complain about something that was written up front :)

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Every server, light, just a few that is Standard.But right now isn't the best time to check, as it's 09:16 in europe and whatever in the US. However, looking at the EU servers, most of yesterday, they was light to Standard.

Before they changed this list, most of the US servers said Heavy or Full tho, when they changed it to this new server status page yesterday, the heavy, i assume changed to standard. I'm not sure about that tho, but it that's how it seemed, the limit of being full seemed to be upped, as i only saw one with the brand heavy.

Also, I'm not complaining, just looking and waiting. I was a bit late on pre order, like 1st of September or sumthing. But it's seems like they are making it pretty smooth for most new players, I guess one of the things they look at, is not overflooding the starting areas, and not only what the servers can handle.

Edited by Zakihashi

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Every server, light, just a few that is Standard.But right now isn't the best time to check, as it's 09:16 in europe and whatever in the US. However, looking at the EU servers, most of yesterday, they was light to Standard.

Before they changed this list, most of the US servers said Heavy or Full tho, when they changed it to this new server status page yesterday, the heavy, i assume changed to standard. I'm not sure about that tho, but it that's how it seemed, the limit of being full seemed to be upped, as i only saw one with the brand heavy.

Also, I'm not complaining, just looking and waiting. I was a bit late on pre order, like 1st of September or sumthing. But it's seems like they are making it pretty smooth for most new players, I guess one of the things they look at, is not overflooding the starting areas, and not only what the servers can handle.

Thank you man - the first sensible answer to my question!

Thank you man - the first sensible answer to my question!

Well, don't take my word for it, but that's what I'd assume.

I've played a lot of MMO's on day one and in the early access of other games, and they've been horrible. I rather not play, then play, if playing means waiting in que to kill a mob :)

So to not ruin a first impression for a lot of players, I guess they want it smooth, in all ways possible.