Rolling out Servers - Same Issue

Henigan

So, BioWare stated that they wanted to monitor the invites and make sure they added more servers as they were needed. Stephenreid said that this is done to prevent servers having to be shut down/merged later, and its apparently a problem with all MMO's.

Well yes of course it is, and SWTOR won't be any different, Servers do not need merging/closing until AFTER THE FIRST MONTH OF FREE SUBSCRIBTION IS UP. People who don't enjoy the game and go back to their prefered MMO do so after their free play time is up, staggered invites during a extra week is going to make no difference what so ever.

The same amount of people will play at 7PM on a Friday in 3 weeks time no matter what "start up tactics" you use.

Only thing staggered invites have done is make the community irritated and annoyed, Yes we all knew it was going to happen, it doesn't stop people from hoping they're special and will get in.

Stephenreid mentioned a bunch of reasons as to why the staggered invites, and it seems to me that they researched the wrong side of other MMO's launches and they've not done nearly enough research on how the MMO community works as a player base.

This won't stop me from subscribing to SWTOR for years to come, but what I'm trying to say is, this launch may go down in the books as a bad launch, maybe not the worst, but bad. It'll be good on paper but the community doesn't give that a second glance, the community will look to the words of those who had a bad experience.

Edited by Henigan

There was no scenario that would make everyone happy.

They could have opened a ton of servers and let everyone in the same time. A month later half of the servers are empty causing consolidations and people would cry.

They could have opened a handful of servers and let eveyone in the same time. The servers would have crashed and burned and people would cry.

Opening the "right" amount of servers requires metrics. Staggering allows them to gather metrics to get the right number. But people have to wait in line and they cry.

Edited by TwinIONengines

You my friend hit the nail on the head. I think it was the worst MMO light launch EGA whatever you want to call it it was for me as a 10 year MMO VET the WORST I have experienced. I will sub like you because I love the game but, my trust in Bioware is OVER period.

You make me laugh. You really don't know what a bad launch is. Thanks for playing.

You my friend hit the nail on the head. I think it was the worst MMO light launch EGA whatever you want to call it it was for me as a 10 year MMO VET the WORST I have experienced. I will sub like you because I love the game but, my trust in Bioware is OVER period.

amen to that

Frankly, I would be glad if everybody who is annoyed about EGA cancels their order. Anybody who is immature enough to be irritated by something this juvenile isn't a very entertaining addition to the player population. So I hope they do more stuff like this in the future.

There was no scenario that would make everyone happy.

They could have opened a ton of servers and let everyone in the same time. A month later half of the servers are empty causing consolidations and people would cry.

They could have opened a handful of servers and let eveyone in the same time. The servers would have crashed and burned and people would cry.

Opening the "right" amount of servers requires metrics. Staggering allows them to gather metrics to get the right number. But people have to wait in line and they cry.

What makes u think they wont crash and burn on 12.20. and half of the servers will be dead in a month or 2 so whats the point realy ?

Actualy this doesnt bother me at all, the biger problem is the PvP explot that is going on as we speak.

WoW: On release some server ques were up to 2 weeks long...yes 2 weeks long. Constant lag, constant crashing.

Aion: Upon release Starter area's were so over crowded that they had to patch in zone instances. NPC prices were so outrageous that no one was able to complete some gathering quests for a week or two because the required training cost too much.

Rift: Stable launch yes, aside from massive lag and the inability to progress past the ascended starter zone due to Invasion bug allowing level 18+ Major Invasions to spawn causing quest hubs to be overtaken until Trion shut the servers down and put in a patch.

there were other launches that were worse than this in my opinion.

WoW: On release some server ques were up to 2 weeks long...yes 2 weeks long. Constant lag, constant crashing.

Aion: Upon release Starter area's were so over crowded that they had to patch in zone instances. NPC prices were so outrageous that no one was able to complete some gathering quests for a week or two because the required training cost too much.

Rift: Stable launch yes, aside from massive lag and the inability to progress past the ascended starter zone due to Invasion bug allowing level 18+ Major Invasions to spawn causing quest hubs to be overtaken until Trion shut the servers down and put in a patch.

there were other launches that were worse than this in my opinion.

But there is 1 diference that makes people pissed in this situation, in the games you mentioned ALL had this problems, here some pple play some dont. That makes people pissed more. After all everyone payed same price, so some guys money is better than yours , is it ?

The only diffrence -That i Had Thought they would do and happened" is-

I Thought they would let ppl in every 2 hours or so (24/7)- instead of only 5 waves over 8 hours? approx.

Edit: not expecting to get EA till Thursday anyway , (might be today, as i read in another post aug/sept where slow pre-orders)

Edited by Lasarith

But there is 1 diference that makes people pissed in this situation, in the games you mentioned ALL had this problems, here some pple play some dont. That makes people pissed more. After all everyone payed same price, so some guys money is better than yours , is it ?

I beta tested for months, I paid over 170 for my CE edition and I pre-ordered in July. I hopefully will get in tomorrow. If not, oh well. Stop being a little cry baby and get over it. I have star wars tattoos, I am an 8 year SWG vet. But here I wait patiently and politely.

My money is better than yours also.

I beta tested for months, I paid over 170 for my CE edition and I pre-ordered in July. I hopefully will get in tomorrow. If not, oh well. Stop being a little cry baby and get over it. I have star wars tattoos, I am an 8 year SWG vet. But here I wait patiently and politely.

My money is better than yours also.

Why do you belittle us by calling us cry babies?

To me no it doesn't matter. And it won't matter until the 20th when Official launch happens. Am I upset that someone will hit level 50 before me? nope I'd rather not get bored of the game so fast. Do I understand that some people want to rush to endgame? Yes, they have no bearing on me what so ever.

The people who got in for the day 1 thing paid just as much as the average pre-order. Some paid more for the CE, but they still paid. Those who get in today paid the same, those who get in tomorrow paid the same, and those after that paid the same.

If you pre-ordered simply for the EGA that states you "May have UP to 5 days early access", than in my opinion you pre order for all the wrong reasons. cause this time next year it's not going to matter if you got in on day 1 or not.