What does "cover fire" keybind do?

Dogjutsu

I got to play for a couple of weekends but never figured this out (and my wave hasn't hit yet).

In the key bind options, you could assign a key to "Cover Fire". Is it still there, does it correspond to a functioning feature, and if so, how exactly does it work?

Thanks!

I got to play for a couple of weekends but never figured this out (and my wave hasn't hit yet).

In the key bind options, you could assign a key to "Cover Fire". Is it still there, does it correspond to a functioning feature, and if so, how exactly does it work?

Thanks!

basically the same thing as take cover :p

It is a feature only usable by the smuggler and imperial agent. totally useless for any other class.

So, I was able to get an IA/Sniper to 18 or so during test weekend, so I'm fairly familiar with the cover mechanic, etc.

Can anybody clarify if "cover fire" does something distinct from "take cover"? If they are the same thing as stated above, I'm curious as to why there are distinct binds (maybe there is no good reason, and it is just left over from something they never implemented or something).

I just want to make sure there isn't a whole mechanic I'm missing here!

Thanks.

I haven't got into the game yet. But i remember there being 2 binds. One was the "roll and take cover" Other was "crouch in place".

Not sure on the actual names of them.

If you are playing now you could check them out with an agent or smuggler.

I haven't got into the game yet. But i remember there being 2 binds. One was the "roll and take cover" Other was "crouch in place".

Not sure on the actual names of them.

If you are playing now you could check them out with an agent or smuggler.

Not playing yet :o

You're right that there is a bind for "Take Cover" and "Cover in Place", both of which I used. There's another one called "Cover Fire" which is what is baffling me.

I don't remember it and played a sniper till 20. Unbound most of those keys on my bounty hunter.

Do you remember which key it was bound to?

Edit:

If it was not bound to anything.

Then you are probably right. It was probably a Trooper/Bounty Hunter mechanic that was taken out in one of the really early betas.

Edited by Savriel

One more shameless bump, can anybody answer this definitively?

Recap: What does "cover fire" keybind do (unbound by default, it is separate from "take cover" and "take cover in place" binds)?

An early reply said it is the same as Smuggler/IA "take cover", but why then does it have its own distinct key binding? Is this just the remnants of something that never got implemented?

There was a post, in the general class boards I think... About how using the cover button your power tray was actually slower then using the bind.

Here's the link.

http://taugrim.com/2011/12/12/smugglers-and-imperial-agents-keybind-your-cover-thank-me-later/

He explains how using the hot key can be a bit slower to respond then using the keybind.

There was a post, in the general class boards I think... About how using the cover button your power tray was actually slower then using the bind.

Here's the link.

http://taugrim.com/2011/12/12/smugglers-and-imperial-agents-keybind-your-cover-thank-me-later/

He explains how using the hot key can be a bit slower to respond then using the keybind.

Thanks... but to clarify, I'm asking about the "Cover Fire" keybind, which is a separate keybind from both the "Take Cover" and "Take Cover in Place" (it may actually do the same thing, but I'm looking for confirmation that it is the same thing, or if not, what, if anything, it actually does).

• 2 weeks later...

I am amazed how many posts tried to answer this while having no idea what the actual question was.

Whatever it does, and whether or not it is effectively the same as anything else, it is definitely not necessary. The reason no one knows what it does is because no one has ever had to use it. So don't worry about rolling a cover class and being ignorant of its function, pretty much everyone is.

And that's not to say, "It's useless, don't ask what it does," I am curious too--but it won't significantly impact your play.

Edited by funeralunicorn

it seems to do nothing, I can't seem to get it to work personally.

I bound

'Take Cover in Place' - just crouches you

'Take Cover' - rolls to available cover

'Cover Fire' - does nothing

Cover Fire testing:

Sent out my companion after a mob, deselected everything and hit the 'cover fire' hotkey, nothing.

Selected my companion while she was fighting, hit the 'cover fire' hotkey, nothing.

Selected the mob my companion was fighting, hit the 'cover fire' hotkey, nothing.

I think Bio combined Take Cover in place and Take Cover but didn't eliminate the extra hotkey option. Cover Fire, I can't even assume what this is except something that was not properly implemented.

Edited by illgot

• 2 weeks later...
Woah, thanks!

I'll test it myself, but can you provide any details?

I'm curious about your test results. Please post them when you find out. If it is linked Focus Target, it sounds like it will fire at focus target's traget.

I'm curious about your test results. Please post them when you find out. If it is linked Focus Target, it sounds like it will fire at focus target's traget.

Have not had a chance to try it yet, but I will definitely report back when I have.