swtor tanking already?

krakken

From an article that tracks game sales...

According to the latest sales report at Chart-Track.co.uk, Star Wars: The Old Republic's retail sales have dropped drastically. SWTOR first hit the charts at #10 during the week of its release but has plummeted to #38 as of December 31st

These are worse numbers than SWG had. I told you guys over a year ago about what this game would end up being and I have been exactly right about game play, numbers, subs, and what the forum complaints would be. bioware has sealed the fate of any chance that sw will be a mmo again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people are tired of the WoW formula. They've been playing WoW for 5 years - they don't want to drop it and play a game almost identical to it, but with far less content. It's a huge mistake these developers make when creating games so similar to WoW. Edited by Esaru

SWTOR had more purchases on day 1 than SWG ever had in 8 years, and there are way, way more games being sold now than in 2003, so #38 is probably still far above 2003's #1.

What do you care anyway, you already own it. Get back to playing or quit already.

Those sales figures were only in the UK

The UK has a special connection with the SW franchise since most of the original filming was done at London studios, most of the extras were british, and even darth vader was played by a british giant. Never the less total sales are less than 800k as of that date. What killed this game was letting too many play it beta and pre order. Both did not require any billing to be put up. Now that people got a bit of it they decided not to play it and canceled indroves.

Hahahahaha. Anyone who has looked at the server connection page and has an IQ above room temperature can see the game isn't "tanking". Perhaps they didn't cover recurring revenue streams at BurgerKing University, but people are paying 15$ per month to play this game. Every copy of SWTOR is equal to about 5 copies of the #1 game per year.

May the Troll be with you.

Well the game launched just before the holidays. Had alot of advance sales then people buying it for Christmas. So it woudl not be unusual for the sales to drop off. The question will be in 30 days how much of a drop off in the subs then.

Also those numbers were only for box sales and did not include digital sales at all. Which again would reflect holiday buying as a gift.

I would also pointout that the same company reported even worse wow cata in that it dropped all the way down to 38 after 1 week

Edited by Baaddare

I told you guys over a year ago about what this game would end up being and I have been exactly right about game play, numbers, subs, and what the forum complaints would be. bioware has sealed the fate of any chance that sw will be a mmo again.

Well one good thing Bioware did is bring joy to your sad pathetic excuse of a life for a couple of hours, until everybody forgets about this thread, and you.

Enjoy.

Edited by dargor-

According to the latest sales report at Chart-Track.co.uk, Star Wars: The Old Republic's retail sales have dropped drastically. SWTOR first hit the charts at #10 during the week of its release but has plummeted to #38 as of December 31st

These are worse numbers than SWG had. I told you guys over a year ago about what this game would end up being and I have been exactly right about game play, numbers, subs, and what the forum complaints would be. bioware has sealed the fate of any chance that sw will be a mmo again.

With evey single game released, sales go down from day 1 release. Why?

Thats vast majority of all the players the game has garnered since Dev started.

Its the point at which Retention=New Subs+Lost Subs goes + or - month after month that really matters.

Give the game a couple months. Personally, unless the Devs have a large amount of future Content already set to release in a month or so. game is done. What they have is what they get and goes down hill from here.

Imo, considering how un finished the game feels? They dont have future Content already made and set to go.

Unfortunately the game is getting a lot of bad word of mouth, combined with little reviews out there. It doesn't look too good at the moment.

I for one have told my friends the crappy/non-existant customer service European players are getting from BioWare. Wouldn't suprise me at all if others have done that, and the sales would indeed tank in Europe.

I'm sure the fact that's sold out at most retailers has nothing to do with it.

I'm sure the fact that's sold out at most retailers has nothing to do with it.

There was a big pile of the game in the local supermarket yesterday. I find it hard to believe the game would be sold out if there is a pile of them even here in the bushes where I live :eek:

I admit, I've never been to that site and I have no idea what it is, but when I look at this:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

it makes me think that swtor is in the #2 position. Maybe this is a different chart?

Edit: Oh, you were talking about the All Formats chart.

Edited by Malphas

I certainly hope it isn't tanking.

Bioware still has a lot of growing to do to get into the MMO market. From the numerous posts people have made, it's quite obvious that their customer service department is completely swamped. GM responses are a little off as well, and their less than transparent system of warning and banning has upset more than a fair share of people.

The game still has beta bugs, and is missing features that other mmo's currently have (there's a really good post out there about the development of the game, and what Bioware has to catch up to to succeed)

However: On the same token, the game has a very strong storyline (I've seen very few complaints about the storyline aside from comments on the romance/light side dark side choices being idiotic) And a good single player feel to it as well (or small cooperative game)

Unfortuantely, once completed (and yes, given enough time, this will happen to everyone) You run out of the story, and are then stuck with only the flawed parts of the game to deal with.

Flawed PVP system (balancing level 50's in with level 10ish people in the same BG?) , "spell lag", and much more (read the forums, there's plenty of feedback)

I certainly hope Bioware grows up fast. This game has the capability to be a pioneer in story-driven mmo titles (Certainly, having nearly 100% voice over acting is a first in any mmo). I just hope they can stop stepping on their own toes long enough to recuperate the damage that is being done to their customers, their game development reputation, and finally their customer service.

On a side note: I suspect if this game fails, we'll never see the Mass Effect MMO discussed as a potential option for the ME series.

Best of Luck Bioware! I wish you the best.

The game was sold out at pretty much every retail store during the first few days of release to get a physical copy.

Then the developers STOPPED allowing people to purchase and buy the digital copies after a certain amount were sold.

All to stem the gigantic serving crashing influx it would have had.

They did it themselves, to stop things from getting out of hand and being forced to close servers down for long periods due to crashes.

Then you can bet your sweet buns that half to three quarters of the people that played are playing the game did it through pre-order and fully paid for the game far before launch at where you got your piddly numbers from.

I was listening to my boyfriend listen to his video game news show and there was a segment on there about SWTOR being projected to hit 3million+ subs by Feb/March if the game continues its currently steady climb in subscriptions.

Nobody cares about your ridiculous doomsayers. You'll be forgotten shortly and myself and everybody else like me will continue to play a game we enjoy and continue to support.

Move along, these aren't the forums you are looking for.

Not according to this:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40902/Global/

Are the nay-sayers grasping at straws already? There's nothing left you can legitimately say about the game so you're practically making things up to support your ludicrous idea that the ship is sinking?

What's funny is it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever. What... like we're going to quit the game because it appears many other people are not interested in playing it?

You're just ... not a wise one.

Listen... if we don't like it, we'll quit, we won't play, but if we do, we will. If the game loses hundreds of thousands of subscribers then it loses them...

Your bandwagon logic doesn't work in this case. Go find another idea to try to burn the ship with.