What was Bioware´s rationale on not implementing Day/Night and Weather cycles?

SySnootles

Like EQ? They had that one zone since original (next to freehold pass, can't remember the name) that had regular level 12 stuff spawn during the day, but high level undead (35+ as I recall) at night. You had to be careful when you went through there. If at day, you could run right down the path, but at night you were better hugging the walls.

They also had better dynamic nighttimes then most of the other MMOG's. At night, you really couldn't see more then 1 foot without a wisp or torch, and even those only gave you limited visibility. I think sometimes their nighttime went too far.

Fog also cut visibility by extremes in that game.

I have fond memories of that game.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BioWare designed the Planets to look a certain way under certain lighting conditions. They did say they planned a day/night cycle but they took it out.

I can see what they mean though. Tython wouldn't look as good in pitch black nor would Drommund Kaas suit being in sunlight.

Edited by Dalak

Like EQ? They had that one zone since original (next to freehold pass, can't remember the name) that had regular level 12 stuff spawn during the day, but high level undead (35+ as I recall) at night. You had to be careful when you went through there. If at day, you could run right down the path, but at night you were better hugging the walls.

They also had better dynamic nighttimes then most of the other MMOG's. At night, you really couldn't see more then 1 foot without a wisp or torch, and even those only gave you limited visibility. I think sometimes their nighttime went too far.

Fog also cut visibility by extremes in that game.

How cool it would be to have a planet that was akin to the environment seen in the first ridick movie (Pitch Black)? Tho not with eternal night but with a night/day cycle that had different and challenging mobs.

As we still dont have a search function in the forums, i apolagise if this topic has been answered before. :)

Dynamic weather systems and night/day cycles add a unique layer of immersion to an otherwise static gameworld. Should bioware be putting their efforts to better use in other features or should these 2 systems be eventually implemented?

That it wasn't all taht important over making sure the game actually has content for players to enjoy? I mean piddly stuff like UI customization or Weather etc are pretty low priority compared to the rage that would ensue if you say reached 30 and there was no content to get you to 50.

I've played plenty of MMOs that had all the piddly stuff but only a quarter of the stuff players actually resub for.

From my experience,

Weather typically bogs down most machines. They most likely held off to get the game up and running and intend to add it later.

A few MMOs I have played went this route.

Or.....everyday when we adventure in SWTOR land is a beautiful day.

But there is weather in the game. it just isn't dynamic. it rain often, if not constantly, in Dromund Kaas for example.

Seriously??

Performance issues lol? My computer can run multiple instances of this game on it's so called "High" (read: medium) setting and it's fine.

Honestly with today's hardware this game is far behind the standard games on the market currently I'm sure most crappy laptops can run this game.

If you're about to nag at me saying you can't buy top end hardware then go buy a 360 and hang out with the rest of the crappy graphics crowd. It's people like you that force the PC standards lower than they should be so that companies can cater to your low end machine so you will buy their games.

Bah Humbug!!!

Seriously??

Performance issues lol? My computer can run multiple instances of this game on it's so called "High" (read: medium) setting and it's fine.

Honestly with today's hardware this game is far behind the standard games on the market currently I'm sure most crappy laptops can run this game.

If you're about to nag at me saying you can't buy top end hardware then go buy a 360 and hang out with the rest of the crappy graphics crowd. It's people like you that force the PC standards lower than they should be so that companies can cater to your low end machine so you will buy their games.

Bah Humbug!!!

You want a cookie?

Why don't we just say that with today's vehicle standards, there shouldn't be one person without a car that has GPS Nav, Keyless ignition, full airbags in every seat and door, etc. etc.

Not everyone's priorities are on their computers, and not everyone has the knowledge to create a gamer rig.

Try thinking past yourself, and you might actually understand that the world works in many different ways.

If you want day and night cycles. Go outside.

If you want weather. Go outside.

If you want to play at night, go to Nar Shaddaa.

If you want to play during the day, go to Taris or Balmorra.

I never heard Luke Skywalker say, "gee Han, what a beautiful sunset ... lets watch it before we head to Hoth."

I care about Lightsabers, the force, laser pistols, and bad guys ... if I want sunsets and rain, I'll go outside and experience it in the real world, not in a video game.

The most iconic scene in Episode IV that Lucasarts even uses as the basis for its logo is a man watching a sunset, based on Luke watching the suns set on Tatooine.

Sadly, the devs thought including such iconic star wars moments wasn't worth their time.

As we still dont have a search function in the forums, i apolagise if this topic has been answered before. :)

Dynamic weather systems and night/day cycles add a unique layer of immersion to an otherwise static gameworld. Should bioware be putting their efforts to better use in other features or should these 2 systems be eventually implemented?

To be honest I never even noticed it was static.... Game Play > Night/Day Cycle....

Seriously if your worried about night/day cycles then your playing the wrong game... I hear Age of Conan has a good night/day cycle and there hurting for subscribers :)

To be honest I never even noticed it was static.... Game Play > Night/Day Cycle....

Seriously if your worried about night/day cycles then your playing the wrong game... I hear Age of Conan has a good night/day cycle and there hurting for subscribers :)

A good game with a day/night cycle is better game.

A bad game with a day/night cycle could be worse without one.

Fun Fact: Baldur's Gate 1 has a Day/Night cycle.

Edited by Darren_Kitlor

You cannot even sit in chairs or on couches. There are a lot of roleplay/envirenment/social things that just do not exist in this game.

Because it's really a single-player game that is coincidently being played with a bunch of other people while being hosted for profit...

I have never liked day/night cycles. I want to be able to look at the scenery.

In any case, the "immersion" in SWTOR comes from playing a specific individual with a personality, in a particular place, doing things for a reason--very little of which I've seen in any other MMO.

In SWTOR, you're never standing around in one place camping/farming for long enough to notice that it has been daylight (or night time) for a long time. You go in, do your thing, and move on. Other than bases where you go for training/selling/etc., you don't spend a lot of time in any one place.

I call that a huge plus compared to EQII where I would hang out in the same area and farm deer while the day/night cycles passed a couple of times.

Every bioware game has horrendous world design with zero weather, people stand in one spot dont move around it's like this in ME, Dragon Age, etc..

Why they keep getting a free pass is beyond me. The first villiage in The Witcher 2 makes anything bioware has done as amateur night.

The most iconic scene in Episode IV that Lucasarts even uses as the basis for its logo is a man watching a sunset, based on Luke watching the suns set on Tatooine.

Sadly, the devs thought including such iconic star wars moments wasn't worth their time.

Boss1: Lets see here guys, we need to be iconic ... how do we do it.

Dev1: Sunrise and Sunset to match Tatooine sunset in the movies!

Dev2: Lightsabers, Bounty Hunters, Troopers! Sith! Oh ya!

Dev3: Umm, Dev1, are you *********** serious? Sunsets? I say STARSHIPS AND SPACE BATTLES!

Boss1: Dev1, you're fired. Dev2, you're promoted. This is a game. If you want a sunset, go outside ...

Edited by Alkiii