Explanation for ROLLING start of Early Access.

XoLeRick

Ok so who wants to know why EA / BW actualy made it that way and not the other. I work in IT industry (Cisco to be exact) for quite some time now (I am 28 y.o. so about 8 years in IT). And I wanto to explain with easy words for my fellow game players why the rolling start of early game access and not the let ALL IN.

So first of all let's look at technology, you all expect to be playin on the bunch of REAL server hardware, where in reality none is nowadays do that. Every REALM (the server from server list) is actualy part of a virualised envoirment which makes it easy to manage and very very cost effective.

Now for the Rolling start of the Early Game access and what actualy being monitored. Now If we just stuff all our real servers with lotsa virtual ones and launch them all at once and let every player pour in... what we see: Players rampaging acros all the possible realms, creating chars and taking all the possible names (for a sale, or just harrasing). And at the same time many people will choose a less populated realms...

So what EA + BW got at the end of early access... is loads of forsaken characters with takens names all over the place , most of the servers are at low and some medium load, and very little real playable characters. And thats taking all the possible, with little expansion, space on REAL servers.

How do we prevent it? Correct! We start a bunch of virtual servers. Let the first wave come in. Monitor the load on that bunch for a while. Let the second wave. OOps full load, start some other virtual servers and either add them to thing called Cluster, or just start separate Virtual - REALM. And so on and so on... and we got quite occupied space with close to maximum cost effectiveness, and enough space to let the other waves as well as LAUNCH day players in.

Hope that will explain how it works, for people who actualy want to know what is going on.

Ok so who wants to know why EA / BW actualy made it that way and not the other. I work in IT industry (Cisco to be exact) for quite some time now (I am 28 y.o. so about 8 years in IT). And I wanto to explain with easy words for my fellow game players why the rolling start of early game access and not the let ALL IN.

So first of all let's look at technology, you all expect to be playin on the bunch of REAL server hardware, where in reality none is nowadays do that. Every REALM (the server from server list) is actualy part of a virualised envoirment which makes it easy to manage and very very cost effective.

Now for the Rolling start of the Early Game access and what actualy being monitored. Now If we just stuff all our real servers with lotsa virtual ones and launch them all at once and let every player pour in... what we see: Players rampaging acros all the possible realms, creating chars and taking all the possible names (for a sale, or just harrasing). And at the same time many people will choose a less populated realms...

So what EA + BW got at the end of early access... is loads of forsaken characters with takens names all over the place , most of the servers are at low and some medium load, and very little real playable characters. And thats taking all the possible, with little expansion, space on REAL servers.

How do we prevent it? Correct! We start a bunch of virtual servers. Let the first wave come in. Monitor the load on that bunch for a while. Let the second wave. OOps full load, start some other virtual servers and either add them to thing called Cluster, or just start separate Virtual - REALM. And so on and so on... and we got quite occupied space with close to maximum cost effectiveness, and enough space to let the other waves as well as LAUNCH day players in.

Hope that will explain how it works, for people who actualy want to know what is going on.

How does this explanation you give have absolutelly anything to do with you working for Cisco or being in the IT industry for over 8 years? When I started reading your post I was under the impression that you will explain some possible network and infrastructure related reason for rolling start that rest of the people are not aware of, but instead you talk about name reserving and other nonsense. The only bit and relevant piece of information you provide is hard vs. soft and virtualized environments.

Do you really think that someones inactive toon that is sitting as a record in some database has any potential to affect the resources used by server at runtime? Storage implications are obvious, and there are ways to remedy that as well, but for them to have any isssues on day one related to "stale" data is just insanity, if that is what you are implying here.

There are population issues and balancing issues, but none of those have anything to do with the infrastructure and have any relevance to your position as Cisco employee nor does your position as such give you some special credibility. Especially not when you talk about irrelevant stuff like this.

/facepalm /headdesk

This is the explanation I'd go with: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=66561&postcount=6438

Why the hell do I care that you work for that Thong Song guy?? How does this make you an MMO expert?

Edited by Justinjedi

You hit the nail on the head, I also work in IT infrastructure, and Virtualization has been the name of the game for the last 5ish years, my company maintains an environment of around 60 Citrix workstation / application servers, however at any given time during the week as few as 10 may actually be online, this is called "Load Balancing" and it's not a new trend by any means. Most likely Bioware creates an image of one of their Server / Shards and then does a sort of repack on it and captures the state of things, then when they realize they need more servers they simply load this image on a VM "spin it up" and add it to the environment, some of the PR motives seem more Systems focused then PR focused and I can see how that will upset the hardcore MMO'ers, chances are the servers some of us will play on in a few days literally haven't been born yet, so when they do spin up for the first time and show up in the server browser, you've got an OOBE (out of box experience) meaning, your names are free, levels are low and likely the players that have been playing for a few days won't even take notice at that point because the server list will have grown exponentially at that point

I do get why you're all upset, but I also get why BW is rolling things out the way they are

alright, resume your QQ'ing

Nice to see that two people actualy did read the thread and understood the point. As I said, somone who wants to understand, he does. The others are just QQ about "Creadability" and stuff like that. Without just tryin to understand the reason.

Why the Cisco and IT explains my credability. Is that everything, and I do mean everything nowadays goes for virtuality. Virtual Router (HSRP, GLBP, MPLS with VRF etc.) , Virtual Switches (VLAN), and even virtual Firewalls (Contexts), as well as virtual servers, and I clearly see the reason for why EA + BW do the Rolling start. And as Bioware and EA were not as much ONLINE Oriented as Blizzard (World of Warcraft), They need to do it carefully with as much cost effectiveness as possible.

Every1 have a nice evening, may the force be with you.

Greetings, all. We know that this is a subject everyone is wanting to discuss, and already have an existing discussion thread dedicated to talking about Early Game Access. If you'd like to share your thoughts, you'll find the thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=16764

We're going to close this thread and ask that this discussion continue in the existing thread, so we can keep the conversation a little better consolidated. Thank you!