Mac Version of SWTOR in the works confirmed

Genitor

BioWare CEO's confirmed that the a mac version of swtor is something they are looking into next.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

Everything I have ever heard from BioWare about any form of mac version of the game has been pretty heavily shut down with phrases like "just use bootcamp" or "get a windows pc" so it's pretty surprising to hear this news. As both a mac and pc user, this is exciting for me nonetheless.

BioWare CEO's confirmed that the a mac version of swtor is something they are looking into next.

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

Everything I have ever heard from BioWare about any form of mac version of the game has been pretty heavily shut down with phrases like "just use bootcamp" or "get a windows pc" so it's pretty surprising to hear this news. As both a mac and pc user, this is exciting for me nonetheless.

I can't cite it but I remember Stephen Reid saying there will never be a Mac version.

That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next.

Means nothing really when you think about it. It is just a deviation instead of saying NO and alienating the Mac market.

think of it this way: "Becoming a billionaire... That's definitely one of the things I'm looking at next."

I think they are extrapolating too much. Also the mac client would come from Heroengine and not from Bioware apparently and Heroengine mentioned they were working on a client for this year so in my opinon BW is waiting for the Mac client to come out so they can brand it.

They clearly do not want to alienate the Mac market at the moment. 15% in subscriptions is still a crapload of subs for wow for example. No company would be crazy to pass on it, especially with all the negativity coming out after just 2 weeks since launch

Gee, nice to know they're working on writing a whole new game rather than fixing it.

It will mostly be a third party company coming in to write the code to port it to mac. Won't be using many of BioWare's man power. Mostly just money.

Gee, nice to know they're working on writing a whole new game rather than fixing it.

This indeed. I'm sorry but this happens to be the best response in the entire thread and no one can top it.

But yes it is true its just marketing for saying in a polite way "No, we dont wan't you" kinda like how they treat EU customers with maintanence. Theres a very fine line between smiling and slapping someone in the face, and slapping in the face.

Knee-jerk reaction much?

Greg Zeschuk said: "We want to get this launch under our belt and everything stabilized and happy, and then we'll look at other platforms."

Also, porting a game from Windows to Mac OS is not "writing a whole new game", nor even stopping work on fixes and new content. It's about bringing in Mac porting experts to create the Mac client, using existing assets. This effort is a move to increase profits and grow their customer base. BioWare isn't new to porting to Mac OS. They know it makes business sense or they wouldn't do it over and over again.

Also, their statements are quite a lot more reassuring than previous vague answers. When the author complained that he couldn't play on his new MacBook, Zeschuk replied, "I'd say, 'not yet.'" "We've done a lot of Mac ports before of our games. We haven't announced any details yet for The Old Republic, but we know that's an important and large audience. That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next."

Edited by ArkhamNative

Knee-jerk reaction much?

Greg Zeschuk said: "We want to get this launch under our belt and everything stabilized and happy, and then we'll look at other platforms."

Also, porting a game from Windows to Mac OS is not "writing a whole new game", or even stopping fixes and new content. It's about bringing in Mac porting experts to create the Mac client, using existing assets. This effort is a move to increase profits and grow their customer base. BioWare isn't new to porting to Mac OS. They know it makes business sense or they wouldn't do it over and over again.

Also, their statements are quite a lot more reassuring than previous vague answers. When the author complained that he couldn't play on his new MacBook, Zeschuk replied, "I'd say, 'not yet.'" "We've done a lot of Mac ports before of our games. We haven't announced any details yet for The Old Republic, but we know that's an important and large audience. That's definitely one of the things we're looking at next."

This!

If they bring out a Mac client then I will be very happy but I'm ok with playing via Boot Camp. It is not like it is a Herculean task to press and hold the alt key when booting up the computer.

As for how porting it over the Mac would work. The client would be more of an emulator than being re-written from the ground up to work on the platform, simply because any updates would have to be pushed to both versions (OS X and Windows) at the same time. It can be done, every Blizzard game does it and other MMO's such as Warhammer eventually came out with Mac clients.

On the current list of BioWare's priorities with SWTOR though I imagine it to be very low down, pretty much at the bottom to be honest.

Saying they are looking into it and actually doing it are two different things. Its possible they will get someone to do a report and that report says that basically it isnt pheasible. Remember that SWTOR is based on a third party engine so there are possibly legal and contractual issues there. Then there is the cost, who will pay it? I am guessing the issue is around the engine if the engine developer has a mac version either released or in the works it might not take a huge amount of extra effort from bioware, given that they are already licensing the engine it might not actually cost them much extra other than integrating the game as is into the engine and then testing it.

If you are a mac zealot its a far better position than sorry we will never do a mac version but its still a long way from even starting development as now its not only upto bioware they would probably have to get permission from EA. What is EA's track record with MAC ports? I am not into macs so I could be totally wrong here but I dont recall EA ever having made much of an effort with Mac OSX?

What is EA's track record with MAC ports? I am not into macs so I could be totally wrong here but I dont recall EA ever having made much of an effort with Mac OSX?

They made a big push around the time Spore and The Sims 3 came out to make those Mac compatible at launch. They also said they would try to include Mac versions at launch or soon after. Since then there have been a few others but big games especially, core games, are nowhere to be seen for the most part.